Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you are using the z390 Designaire motherboard, you could make a USB stick and put Casey's OC EFI on the EFI partition of the USB drive. Then boot into the OpenCore shell; mount your HDD; and optionally the EFI on the HDD. Mv EFI -> EFI.Clover, and copy the new one over from the USB. Of course, remove any Clover scripts

At the very least ,you will be able to view your drives from OC shell; mount them; and make sure everything is OK.

1. This will transition you over from Clover to OC directly, if you are using the same hardware as on this thread

2. You should be able to boot back into OSX Catalina, and, eventually, do an in-place upgrade to Monterey.
Thanks that’s exactly the kind of answer I needed. Will try and keep you updated

Thanks that’s exactly the kind of answer I needed. Will try and keep you updated

See my prior posts in my attempts in the last few pages.
I can only help with what I know or have attempted and Casey's EFI & OpenCore transition has worked well so far for me.

Casey has much better experience on this hardware if it's something else.

Just FYI, I have experienced multiple Finder restarts in the middle of work & one hard freeze/lockup 5 min ago.

All my data is intact, so I don't know what is causing the finder to relaunch all of a sudden.
It could be either iTerm or MonitorControl or maybe the M.2 WD 770 is running hot at 42C, and I need open the cover & apply a new thermal pad.

Anyone able to dualboot with OpenCore?

Stuck on this while booting from BIOS is no issue.

So it's completely broken with OpenCore I need to boot from BIOS.

Attachments

• 20221128_215128.jpg
    20221128_215128.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Strangely it also have this while booting OpenCore.

Attachments

• 20221128_215324.jpg
    20221128_215324.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
@xanderevo

What BIOS version are you running ? I'm on F9g.

I believe the Z390 board has a dual BIOS so you could fallback on the backup BIOS if need be
The board should boot up the BIOS without any OS, and you should not be "stuck" at the logo.

** OpenCore 0.8.3 Mini-Guide **
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link or excerpt instead.

Updated 11 Aug 2022 for 0.8.3 Release Version
I tried selecting « install Ventura » and… stop sign immediately.
What could be wrong? For reference I am doing that because my Clover install is suddenly broken after removing a NVMe that was installed only for storage (I explain a few posts before this one).
I’m lost :(

Thanks if anyone can help!

If you are using the z390 Designaire motherboard, you could make a USB stick and put Casey's OC EFI on the EFI partition of the USB drive. Then boot into the OpenCore shell; mount your HDD; and optionally the EFI on the HDD. Mv EFI -> EFI.Clover, and copy the new one over from the USB. Of course, remove any Clover scripts

At the very least ,you will be able to view your drives from OC shell; mount them; and make sure everything is OK.

1. This will transition you over from Clover to OC directly, if you are using the same hardware as on this thread

2. You should be able to boot back into OSX Catalina, and, eventually, do an in-place upgrade to Monterey.
I created the USB key, and I can boot on the USB key, but I can’t boot anything from the Opencore key. I get a stop sign for both of my OS partitions, and a stop sign when I select install Ventura. So I don’t think at the moment changing the EFI from Clover to OpenCore would help. That’s a really weird situation for a simple NVMe disk removed.

I created the USB key, and I can boot on the USB key, but I can’t boot anything from the Opencore key. I get a stop sign for both of my OS partitions, and a stop sign when I select install Ventura. So I don’t think at the moment changing the EFI from Clover to OpenCore would help. That’s a really weird situation for a simple NVMe disk removed.

Try Monterey 12.6.1

Keep in mind if you have nothing in your M2M & M2P slots then make sure your other SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS.

See my earlier post on the M2 slots table, where using one or the other does disable some SATA ports.

Make sure you can see the other drives in the BIOS when you press F12 and go in your boot section of the BIOS.

I am going to install that one shortly. Is it possible for you to share your EMI folder? I assume you are using OpenCore
Sure thing... Here it is! I'm no expert at this... YMMV
Apologies for the response lag!!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    43.9 MB · Views: 33
Back