Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I disconnected the AMD 580 (it's still in the slot) & just running iGFX out via TB/USB-C to the monitor when I did my Monterey in place upgrade. (UHD 630)
I'm wondering if thats the cause of the USB enumeration error, though there is a secondary error after the try/catch where L/E cannot be opened.
For some reason this was a file rather than a dir so I dropped to the terminal & fixed that and created an Extensions dir

Will try another install attempt as I don't see any reason for an install failure with internal gfx & there are no usb devices attached to the machine apart from the Logitech usb dongle for keyboard/mouse on the front USB 2.0 port

Samsung NVME 980, attached /System/Library/Extensions and the panic log.

Are you running a raid config ? If not then you may not need that SoftRaid.kext

Also DigiDesign.....if you are using the DAW, make sure it is compatible with Ventura as Avid was somewhat notorious, back in the day for compatibility & driver issues, especially when using ProTools

You may want to disconnect some of the devices & restart & see if you can get the cpu to fault again & that might point to one of the drivers for your external devices, causing the issue (I'm guessing here based on the stacktrace you posted)

Casey will give you better insight into your issue.

Hi Madmax, yes I disconnected everything except mouse and keyboard, and yes in my system there are 5 HDD and a windows dual boot (all disconnected for the update)

I need to have a look into startup apps, as the system crashes random after 15-30 seconds, don't think it's a config issue or a kext, otherwise won't be booting (Wifi also greyed out with a line on it)

I tried to remove all unnecessary from extensions like gpusensor etc... but without luck.

Anyway I have a Mojave backup, maybe I'll try Catalina or Monterey first if this does not work.

Yep, that's the reason why I never updated, but the new graphic card won't work without it.

Hi Madmax, yes I disconnected everything except mouse and keyboard, and yes in my system there are 5 HDD and a windows dual boot (all disconnected for the update)

I need to have a look into startup apps, as the system crashes random after 15-30 seconds, don't think it's a config issue or a kext, otherwise won't be booting (Wifi also greyed out with a line on it)

I tried to remove all unnecessary from extensions like gpusensor etc... but without luck.

Anyway I have a Mojave backup, maybe I'll try Catalina or Monterey first if this does not work.

Yep, that's the reason why I never updated, but the new graphic card won't work without it.
Make a test user and login as that after restart and see if the crash happens

...and we are in Monterey 12.6.1
The issue was the L/E being a file & not a dir. I think when I switched from Clover to OC, I nuked the Extensions dir & did a touch extensions, instead of a mkdir

**** poor use of logging from the devs when using opendir(). Should have printed out a better message.

...and we are in Monterey 12.6.1
The issue was the L/E being a file & not a dir. I think when I switched from Clover to OC, I nuked the Extensions dir & did a touch extensions, instead of a mkdir

**** poor use of logging from the devs when using opendir(). Should have printed out a better message.
there are some kexts provided by Apple that should be in /L/E

Sorry, I missed the last part since my machine was updating & I was replying by phone.

Go to the App Store or Google OSX Monterey & that wll give you a link to the updated 12.6.1 & download that & that is the cleanest & best approach.

My in-place upgrade still seems to be OK. I haven't restarted nor plugged the rx580 backin, as of yet, into the DP.

Overall temps seem to be a lot lower as the SSD's are now at 28C, except for the WD 770 M.2 which is at 42C due to the upgrade & spotlight re-indexing. It will go back down to 28 or 27C in a bit.

Edit:
Apple will frequently update the core macOS downloads after it issues fixes. So I usually download the last 3 or 4 macOS releases periodically or at least the last one. It's always up to date in case I need to reinstall in a hurry.

Last edited:
there are some kexts provided by Apple that should be in /L/E
Whoops! You're correct. SoftRaid is one of those.

After the Monterey upgrade, I have the following in L/E:

AppleMobileDevice.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
SoftRAID.kext

Most games, etc., are broken (wine wrappers) which can be fixed.
GarageBand seems to be hosed. It will not open at all & now gives a codesigning error.

Still waiting for Spotlight & Photos to finish so I can reboot & use the RX 580.

Whoops! You're correct. SoftRaid is one of those.

After the Monterey upgrade, I have the following in L/E:

AppleMobileDevice.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
SoftRAID.kext

Most games, etc., are broken (wine wrappers) which can be fixed.
GarageBand seems to be hosed. It will not open at all & now gives a codesigning error.

Still waiting for Spotlight & Photos to finish so I can reboot & use the RX 580.
Spotlight & Photos may take 3 4 5 days to finish. You dont have to wait to reboot.

OK, this is really messed up.

1. Deleted GarageBand and re-downloaded. It still won't start

2. Shutdown & routed RX 580 into DP in port like it was before. I booted back up; my resolution is 1080p.
Display Prefs shows LG HDR 4K, and the max resolution is 1600 x 900, instead of my default 2560 x 1440.
(AMD DP out to motherboard DP in, mobo TB out to Monitor. This has worked fine since 2019 on Mojave, until this update.)

Displays.png

Back