Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks for the quick reply!

alright, a bit of an update.

I bought a new SSD (Samsung 870 EVO) just to see if the NVME was the issue. I did manage to clone my working install (860) to the new drive (870) without getting any errors from the script. The EFI copied successfully, using the same steps as I tried for the NVME, which failed. I used an online diffchecker tool to compare the output of `tree`(which just outputs the directory structure) for both EFI partitions, and to compare the config.plist from both EFI partitions, they are both identical. There is no difference between either of these drives now.

For now, I am happy to continue troubleshooting with just the SSDs, as I don't really care about the NVME drive and this seems to be getting me further.

If I unplug my working OS drive (860), and boot right off the new drive (870), It does boot into the opencore bootloader, but my only option to select on the default screen is "OpenShell.efi". Choosing that option gives me the first attachment.

If I instead hit the space bar during that default bootloader screen that only shows "OpenShell.efi", I get some more options.

•OpenShell.efi
•memcheck
•Shutdown
•CFGLock
•Toggle SIP (Disabled)
•Reset NVRAM

If I plug back in my working OS drive (860) and boot with both drives, I of course see the "Big Sur" option in the bootloader from my working drive, and then I see another option just called "EFI", which I think is from my new drive (870). Choosing that option gives me the infinite black screen again.

I double checked all my my BIOS settings to the original post on page 1 and they all line up, with the exception that the Thunderbolt options simply aren't present anywhere in my settings. I am on BIOS version F9g.

I also tried putting my new drive (870) into the SATA port that the working drive (860) is usually in.

Update edit: Ok, I think I figured it out. I just discovered CCC's "Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant". Basically before running the CCC task, I right clicked the destination drive and chose "Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant", and this returns no script errors on both my NVME and the new SSD, and allows me to boot from the bootloader. Do you have any experience with this? Is this safe to run off of? So far everything seems to be fine. If so, this should probably be added to the Big Sur backup mini-guide.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    554.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hi Fellas, long time no see.

So I was able to get some new components at a fair price (i.e. Graphic Card), and it's time for me also to update from Mojave directly to Ventura.

I updated Clover, (yes, I'm still with that) and all kext, backed up everything and boots fine.

However, when I try to start the updater it just reboots into Mojave no matter what. I was wondering if maybe some boot arguments or boot options are preventing the update to run. Maybe you have an Idea.

Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 14.33.40.jpg

*edit I was able to solve it, had some volumes hidden, but the installer now gets stuck at apple logo.

Last edited:
Switched over from M.2 Samsung 970 Plus to WDC Black 770
Also managed to drop the tiny M.2 cover screw inside the case....geez that was some anxiety
However, after 2 strong cups of coffee and some choice verbiage, the screw surrendered meekly

Back up & running Mojave, though now I seem to have 2 EFI entries in OC, though there are no more Clover folders anywhere on any disk. I set the default to the WDC 770 using Startup Disk in the mac
WDC 770 is running hotter at 40C, than the Samsung. Will keep it running for a few hours & see if the temp stabilizes back down to 25-28C, otherwise I will open it up again & replace the thermal pad

At this point, I think I'm good to go for an in-place update to Monterey, using the same OC-0.8.3 & that should be good enough for another year or so

Hi all,

This is going to be a long shot but is anyone using the RX 5700 XT graphics card with a dual-boot hackintosh? Whenever I am on MacOS, it is working fine but I have been having issues with running on Windows 11 with the drivers crashing randomly and I have to hard-restart

Not sure if anyone else is having a similar issue and knows of any type of fix

Hi Fellas, long time no see.

So I was able to get some new components at a fair price (i.e. Graphic Card), and it's time for me also to update from Mojave directly to Ventura.

I updated Clover, (yes, I'm still with that) and all kext, backed up everything and boots fine.

However, when I try to start the updater it just reboots into Mojave no matter what. I was wondering if maybe some boot arguments or boot options are preventing the update to run. Maybe you have an Idea.

View attachment 558772

*edit I was able to solve it, had some volumes hidden, but the installer now gets stuck at apple logo.
Hello @xanderevo,

Long time indeed! I would suggest looking at these two steps from the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The steps are:
  1. Update to BIOS F9i and use the BIOS configuration guide for Firmware F8 and newer to configure BIOS after the date. Be sure to also set Boot --> CFG-Lock --> Disabled.
  2. Then try the procedure to replace Clover with OpenCore. Be sure to make a full bootable clone of Mojave and attempt the procedure on the clone.
Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 11.33.07 AM.png

And it failed and trying to restore Mojave back from the clone ssd

The error was unable to load AppleUSB20Port…..enumeration error, followed by a swift error. Pix attached

@CaseySJ , any pointers on this ?
This is a plain in place upgrade from Mojave to Monterey using the same OC I switched to from Clover

I can post more info once my restore is complete

Attachments

• 696D3EF2-03E3-4DD8-B27E-B8D825F08D0D.jpeg
    696D3EF2-03E3-4DD8-B27E-B8D825F08D0D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
Thanks Casey, I'll try first to switch to opencore and then try again, also if last time it updated without issues this time the installation stops.

We'll see...

however if can help someone here in the forum I used an app called SuperDuper, it cloned both HDD and EFI with 1 click, and was bootable.

All good, I was able to switch to open core and install ventura, but I get a kernel panic after 15 or 20 seconds after being logged in.

all kext are updated this is the folder:
Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 23.03.20.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 23.02.12.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 23.02.12.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 19
All good, I was able to switch to open core and install ventura, but I get a kernel panic after 15 or 20 seconds after being logged in.

all kext are updated this is the folder:
View attachment 558790
This seems like a problem with the APFS volume or SSD.
  • What is the make/model of your NVMe SSD?
  • Another possible cause might be some incompatible third-party drivers carried over from Mojave. What files do you see in /Library/Extensions?

Samsung NVME 980, attached /System/Library/Extensions and the panic log.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 23.16.11.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 23.16.11.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 23.19.05.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 23.19.05.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 18
Back