Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@madmax559
Thanks a lot for your answer! I will buy an SSD and see when I find time to do it, probably in December.
I think the cloning part I can handle, however the switch from Clover to OpenCore looks more challenging as I haven't much understood but I'll come back here and ask more specific question when the time come.
Thanks again for your time, i'm always amazed of how nice the Hackintosh community is!

@madmax559
Thanks a lot for your answer! I will buy an SSD and see when I find time to do it, probably in December.
I think the cloning part I can handle, however the switch from Clover to OpenCore looks more challenging as I haven't much understood but I'll come back here and ask more specific question when the time come.
Thanks again for your time, i'm always amazed of how nice the Hackintosh community is!
After the clone is done, don’t worry about the next step. We’ll help you with that.

@Mochimino Post #1 provides a complete EFI for your system, which only needs serial numbers; you may reuse those from your Clover installation. All further instructions are to purge (a copy of) your existing installation of anything installed under /L/E, and keep a copy of the working installation.

Alternatives would be:
  • Update Clover to a recent version which can boot Monterey and later. This will involve manual installation (no more *beast), and updating config.plist to the new structure, including OpenCore-derived quirks.
  • Make a clean installation of macOS with OpenCore on a new drive and use Migration Assistant to move your applications and data to the new drive. (But do not migrate Clover scripts and additions to /L/E.)

@CaseySJ

I finally dug through and found the bit about selecting macOS Installer from the USB when it reboots during installation, so I was on the right track. But, when I select that, it turns into a never ending boot loop where the Apple logo pops up for a second then I get the motherboard screen with the F12 for Boot options/Del for BIOS page. I’ve got it set to automatically boot to my USB drive, so whether I hit F12 and select the USB or let it go automatically, I always get a second of Apple logo then restart, and, after about a dozen reboots, I just shut my system off. Any ideas?

Thanks!

(Trying to install Monterey using your EFI for OpenCore).

got it set to automatically boot to my USB drive, so whether I hit F12 and select the USB or let it go automatically, I always get a second of Apple logo then restart, and after about a dozen reboots I just shut my system off. Any ideas?

@EdBogie

Sorry to butt in, but this could be caused by the BIOS setting for CFG Lock being Enabled. Go to your BIOS "Boot" window, I'm using BIOS F9i, and see if there is a CFG Lock setting, and confirm it is DISABLED.

@EdBogie

Sorry to butt in, but this could be caused by the BIOS setting for CFG Lock being Enabled. Go to your BIOS "Boot" window, I'm using BIOS F9i, and see if there is a CFG Lock setting, and confirm it is DISABLED.
Alas, CFG lock is already disabled. Thanks, though!

@madmax559

Casey provides a EFI zipped up & that will work out of the box, once you add your Serial/UUID/ROM, etc., etc. from the old settings

My issues were related to my BIOS settings. Thus, make sure you do update the BIOS to F9g at the minimum.

Casey's responses are far more comprehensive than mine & I can't thank him enough for being so patient.

(I haven't done any low level c or asm or Unix driver work since ~2004, but boy, looking at the stacktraces & tearing my hair out, it sure came back in a hurry! :mrgreen: )

I'm very confident you will be able to make a smooth transition from Clover to OpenCore. The side benefit is Bluetooth/wake from sleep issues will all be gone.

Is anyone running an i9-9900/Z390 with 128GB RAM?

I have 64GB currently. I could use more. I was thinking of swapping out my 4x16GB for 4x32GB.

Alas, CFG lock is already disabled. Thanks, though!

What is your internal display set to? iGFX?

Also make sure you are not using any XMP profiles as some of those can make your machine erratic. (Mine are all default).

@etorix
Great, thanks for your inputs! I read the github page which help me understand what's going on. I want to try to switch to OpenCore, as it really seems to be the future of Hackintosh so it make no sense to update my OS and not do the switch.
Doing a new installation as you suggest is also an interesting option, i'll think about it.

Back