Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ would you be able to point me in the right direction on this one.

I have cloned my working BigSur install on to a USB3 Sandisk Extreme - with a view to booting from this to run an update to Ventura as a test.
Clone made following your mini guide and CCC.
I have tried a new EFI from your mini guide OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI for Z390 Designare - copied all system details over but could not get it to boot.
Now put my working BigSur EFI on to the external clone - updated using your Hackindrom guide to OC 0.8.3 - again I cant boot.
When selecting the external drive in the Bios boot (F12) I get 'OCB: Startimage Failed - Aborted' then 'OCB: Startimage Failed -unsupported'

Any ideas as I cant seem to track the error down. EFI attached.
The Startimage Failed can be cleared either by a cold boot or NVRAM reset.

@EdBogie

This means Monterey did not get installed. The installer started, then failed.

A common cause is Misc —> Security —> SecureBootModel. Please check if it’s set to “Default” (which we recommend).
Hey, Casey. Resurrecting this after giving up for a bit. The SecureBootModel is set to Default.

So, I’m thinking it’s just not restarting back to where it needs to go when it starts the series of reboots during install. If I leave my Clover drive connected, my Clover boot options screen will pop up and it’ll automatically select the M.2 drive that I’m trying to install Monterey on (and that’s where I see the screens I was posting), but if I unplug my Clover drive, it boots back to my USB installer and gives me options like EFI, Windows, Install Monterey (which starts the whole process over again), etc, but it doesn’t “resume” the install as far as I can tell. Does it need to boot to the internal drive I’m installing to or back to the USB installer?

Thanks!

macOS is increasingly reliant on AppleVTD. Additionally, the driver programming model is changing from IOKit to DriverKit.

This means older drivers may not be as reliable. But both Ethernet ports on the Z390 Designare should be perfectly okay even in Ventura. I haven’t encountered any issues, but I rely on WiFi much more. I can, however, test Ethernet ports over the next couple of days.

I don’t have any firewall or adguard or other such apps installed. I remember encountering frequent DNS/network traffic issues when I used Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi to block ads.
Now I'm thinking that when I had freezes for the 1st time, it was on the startup setup screen! So it was before I install any software at all! You saw my EFI so if you try it on your hack and connect your Ethernet to the upper Ethernet port, then it should give you freeze 100%. I cannot find any other explanation now the software is out of question! I'm sure also that my systems before Ventura didn't have any issues with Ethernet adapters also!

P.S. CaseySJ I'm planning on my old Samsung 970 to install windows 11. Is BIOS settings ready for them? Any additional info/help to proceed with the installation as the last thing I want is to destroy EFI and have issues with my hack. I had windows 3 years ago last time so I'm a little aware about the procedure.

Do you guys have SIP enabled after using OpenCore ?
If yes, then was this done via OpenCore or using the Recovery Mode & csrutil

I switched my Mojave install from Clover to OpenCore & SIP is disabled at the moment & was checking to see if I should enable it

@CaseySJ @skroutz999

EDIT #3

The kernel panics when changing from the lower to the upper ethernet connector while running Ventura and Monterey were resolve by activating AppleVTD.

===================

With my Z390 Designaire build, which I rarely use, I don't recall every using the upper (left) Ethernet port. So I ran some tests using Ventura, Monterey, and Big Sur using OC 0.8.5, OC 0.8.4, and OC 0.8.3 from my history folder.

As I upgraded my EFI from OC 0.8.3 to OC 0.8.4 to OC 0.8.5, I typically just change the necessary OC files and whatever kexts had been upgraded. Contents of the config.plist file were only modified by Open Core Configurator for whatever changes were required by the OC update.

For each of these tests I would boot with Ethernet plugged into the lower port. I had no problems with that port. I would then move the cable to the upper port to see what would happen. The port would generally not get an IP Address. On one or two occasions it would self-assign an address. However, generally within seconds or 30 seconds I would get a kernel panic.

Upper Ethernet.jpg

A couple tests were run with a different ether net cable which didn't make any difference.

I also definitely have a macOS issue with my upper Ethernet port with Ventura and Monterey. Fortunately I never have to use the upper port.

EDIT: Big Sur was version 11.6.8, not 11.7.1
EDIT #2: Big Sur upgraded to 11.7.1 and the results are as reported in the chart - all OC versions activate the Upper Port without problems.

Last edited:
Do you guys have SIP enabled after using OpenCore ?
If yes, then was this done via OpenCore or using the Recovery Mode & csrutil

@madmax559

SIP is enabled with my Z390 Designare in OC.

In OpenCore Configurator SIP is set in this window under csr-active-config. The 00000000 indicates SIP and SSV are both enabled. There are different values for this variable that set SIP and SSV to different combinations.

E7030000 - SIP disabled, SSV enabled
EF0F0000 - SIP disabled, SSV disabled
030E0000 - SIP enabled, SSV disabled....

Set SIP.jpg

Now I'm thinking that when I had freezes for the 1st time, it was on the startup setup screen! So it was before I install any software at all! You saw my EFI so if you try it on your hack and connect your ethernet to the upper ethernet port, then it should give you freeze 100%. I cannot find any other explanation now the software is out of question! I'm sure also that my systems before Ventura didn't have any issues with ethernet adapters also!

P.S. CaseySJ I'm planning on my old Samsung 970 to install windows 11. Is Bios settings ready for them? Any additional info/help to proceed with the installation as the last thing I want is to destroy EFI and have issues with my hack. I had windows 3 years ago last time so I'm a little aware about the procedure.
Try enabling AppleVTD. As @CaseySJ mentioned, Since Monterey 12.3, I also get all kinds of issues using i211 Ethernet without AppleVTD.

Nobody tried to install Ventura yet?

Try enabling AppleVTD. As @CaseySJ mentioned, Since Monterey 12.3, I also get all kinds of issues using i211 Ethernet without AppleVTD.

@Jasonhacks

Yes, I did not have AppleVTD activated which was causing the panics when I tried to use my upper Ethernet connector with Monterey and Ventura. Now with AppleVTD activated I can use either Ethernet connector without problems with Monterey and Ventura.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dear @CaseySJ,
I've been using this Hackintosh for more than 3 years without a single problem (it never crashed!), and I'm every day grateful for your help and your guide. Everything works perfectly except sometime the Front USB can't mount a volume but there's always 1 of the 4 which works so I don't care.

I'm on Mojave 10.14.6 at the moment but I would like to update. I haven't checked any Hackintosh news for years, I have no idea of the latest trends and difficulties.

Here's my question:
On which macOS (Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura) can I update without too much hassle? I don't want to dive into complicated installation or wipe my disk or something like this... I'm looking for the easiest update possible. My Hackintosh is so stable right now, I don't want to ruin it. I can easily switch from macOS to Windows, which is also important for me.

A couple of info about my system:
- Z390 Designare, Intel i7-9700k, Sapphire Vega 64.
- still using Clover, which is also important for the dual boot (see below) but never updated
- "dual boot", using a NVMe with Windows installed on it and plugged into a Thunderbolt port.
- I've been doing regular backups using CCC.

If you could recommend me to which macOS I should update for the easiest/less work needed and share with me the steps, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you, and have a nice weekend.

Back