Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

And back..... on F9g. Still on Clover 4234 + Mojave.

Basically just using the internal gfx + TB output lets me into the BIOS.

After the BIOS update, it went black again. This time I plugged the DP out from the AMD into the DP in on the motherboard and kept the TB out to monitor from iGFX. Everything booted up smoothly with a giant Gigabyte logo at the beginning & then the Clover menu.

I did not check any BIOS settings as it booted into OS X. I am typing this reply & everything seems to be OK.

Next steps will be making a USB/EFI with OpenCore, booting up the M.2 SSD, and running with that for a day or so to make sure everything works. Then I will transition the internal 970 ssd to OpenCore.

Many thanks to Casey and everyone else who chimed in to help. Really appreciate it.

The dust has barely settled on Ventura 13.0, yet today brings 13.1 public beta.
Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 1.03.20 PM.png

Introducing the new Freeform app from Apple:
Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 1.15.07 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 1.15.14 PM.png

Last edited:
And back..... on F9g. Still on Clover 4234 + Mojave.

Basically just using the internal gfx + TB output lets me into the BIOS.

After the BIOS update, it went black again. This time I plugged the DP out from the AMD into the DP in on the motherboard and kept the TB out to monitor from iGFX. Everything booted up smoothly with a giant Gigabyte logo at the beginning & then the Clover menu.

I did not check any BIOS settings as it booted into OS X. I am typing this reply & everything seems to be OK.

Next steps will be making a USB/EFI with OpenCore, booting up the M.2 SSD, and running with that for a day or so to make sure everything works. Then I will transition the internal 970 ssd to OpenCore.

Many thanks to Casey and everyone else who chimed in to help. Really appreciate it.
I strongly suggest you read up on page 1 of this thread, as there are a few things in your game plan that a ripe for stumbles.

I strongly suggest you read up on page 1 of this thread, as there are a few things in your game plan that a ripe for stumbles.
Yep, I read that. My build is actually based on Casey's build with the exact same parts. (board, gfx, Fenvi, SSD, etc., etc.)

The BIOS update and OC test is also following his suggestion 2 pages ago and will remain on Mojave. Then I will follow his suggestion to move to Monterey and remain there as I have no need for Ventura at the moment.

Moving to OC now just makes it easier later when I upgrade the OS as it's one less thing to fiddle with & not having to disable SIP, etc.
Also, since I'm a very long time Unix greybeard since the '90's, I find the OC shell easier to work with than Clover in case anything goes wrong.

Yep, I read that. My build is actually based on Casey's build with the exact same parts. (board, gfx, Fenvi, SSD, etc., etc.)

The BIOS update and OC test is also following his suggestion 2 pages ago and will remain on Mojave. Then I will follow his suggestion to move to Monterey and remain there as I have no need for Ventura at the moment.

Moving to OC now just makes it easier later when I upgrade the OS as it's one less thing to fiddle with & not having to disable SIP, etc.
Also, since I'm a very long time Unix greybeard since the '90's, I find the OC shell easier to work with than Clover in case anything goes wrong.
I apologize in advance if this comes off too snarky, but did you though?
You shouldn’t use your Samsung 970 as a boot drive (if you’re planning on upgrading past Mojave) and although I don’t know your particular setup, I’m not sure anything in the build guide utilizes anything plugged into igfx — that would be headless or completely disabled depending on your SMBIOS.

In any event, good luck with the transition to OC… it’s been really great for me for quite some now!

Best,
J

I apologize in advance if this comes off too snarky, but did you though?
You shouldn’t use your Samsung 970 as a boot drive (if you’re planning on upgrading past Mojave) and although I don’t know your particular setup, I’m not sure anything in the build guide utilizes anything plugged into igfx — that would be headless or completely disabled depending on your SMBIOS.

In any event, good luck with the transition to OC… it’s been really great for me for quite some now!

Best,
J
I didn't find it snarky so no worries at all. I always appreciate any input.

The 1TB M.2 Samsung EVO 970 Plus was flashed with the updated firmware back in 2019 when I first built the machine and has been running smoothly ever since.

Keep in mind I have 2 other 1TB SSD's (Samsung 860 EVO) on the same machine and 2 x 6TB WD Black HDDs. I have mirror partitions. So, if something goes haywire, I should be able to boot from another drive.
The large space is used for my ML datasets and is basically scratch space. So I can have a 1TB partition on each drive that is throwaway space used to mirror the main data drive.
SJ
I read about the TRIM issue on SSD's from a post by @CaseySJ and right now the plan is to just stick with OpenCore + Mojave for a few weeks to test stability and wait till thanksgiving before attempting a jump to Monterey.
I have a bunch of old 32 bit apps & games (dosbox/wineskin) that I need to check for updates. I have a 2015 15" MacBook Pro to test against and then discard the apps I don't need.

I'm running into a boot issue using USB stick with OC EFI.

Followed the 0.8.3 OC Mini Guide.
EFI was made using the config-amd.plist copied to config.plist & all values set correctly from Hackintool.

1. Shut down machine & unplugged DP in from AMD DP out. Boot back into Clover/Mojave & made sure everything was working.
This now uses the iGP so I can see the BIOS (even though the BIOS/peripherals is set to iGP for Preview to work correctly in Mojave).

2. Shutdown, plug in USB stick & hit F12 and select PNY USB partition 1 (EFI with OC on it).
3. OpenCore shows up with EFI/Macintosh HD/Macintosh HD.
I don't know why there is a double entry since all partitions on all drives have a different volume label.
Having the list picker show device info would be useful here.

4. Pick 1st Mac HD results in black screen. Reboot and pick it again from OC.
The F12 BIOS boot selector is a bit iffy because even when I make a selection, it will sometime boot back into Clover/disk0s1.

5.Apple logo shows up & start of progress bar; it sits there for 10 min with no booting into Mojave.

6. Also dropped into UEFI shell & checked devices and everything looks OK and lists correctly.

Now, I have a couple of options here, but want a second opinion.

1. I can recreate the EFI above by copying the config-iGPU.plist to config.plist and see if that works.
This quirk of the BIOS not showing up when AMD DP out is plugged into DP in on mobo and TB out to monitor.
Plain TB out to monitor shows the BIOS every single time and the BIOS is set to iGPU. So the AMD being plugged into mobo shouldnt matter.

2. When the USB OC EFI kicks in & picks up disk0/s1 (Mac HD), I assume it's not loading any of the Clover kexts as I have not altered any caches/kexts/prefs on Mojave at the moment and simply booting up in OC via USB and starting up Mojave from HDD (SSD 970) just to make sure everything is stable per the guide above.

Thank You.

After updating to OC 0.8.5 and installing macOS Ventura, I'm back to having my Radeon RX 6900 XT not being properly recognised as a GPU and my OS UI is slow and inverted/glitchy. In Monterey I sorted it with an SSDT only, which I can not remember which one it was. Is it still fixable? How? Thanks!

Config.plist attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit - Method below worked after all, just not the first time, for some reason.

Are you using WhateverGreen 1.5.2 or newer? If so, try the following:
  • Uncheckboth of these kexts:
    • FakePCIID.kext
    • FakePCIID_RX6000_Graphics.kext
  • Add/use the attached SSDT:
    • SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.aml
  • This SSDT will work for any system whose base PCI path of the GPU is:
    • _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
With WhateverGreen 1.5.2 and newer, it should be possible to just spoof the device-id, which the SSDT attempts to do.

Attachments

• GFX_card_system_info.png
    GFX_card_system_info.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Every UEFI -> driver should have LoadEarly set to NO unless indicated otherwise. Add them manually with PlistEditPro app.

Here's how a few of yours look:

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 3.17.26 PM.png

Here's how UEFI -> Drivers should look when using OC 0.8.5

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 3.15.52 PM.png

My MOBO splash screen is taking a bit longer than usual to go away. (maybe 10 sec) and shows an error I never saw before.
Usually means that you have something in your config.plist left over from a previous version of OpenCore that is no longer supported (or is entered incorrectly).

Last edited:
Back