Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

My sound card is not working properly. Does the landlord have a solution?
Some questions:
  • Was this FocusRite device working properly before, but suddenly it stopped working?
  • In the Thunderbolt section of BIOS, try setting Thunderbolt Boot Support to Boot Once
  • Is AppleVTD enabled?

Some questions:
  • Was this FocusRite device working properly before, but suddenly it stopped working?
  • In the Thunderbolt section of BIOS, try setting Thunderbolt Boot Support to Boot Once
  • Is AppleVTD enabled?
I have tried all the problems you listed, but it still doesn't work. I used to use it on 10.13.6, but it can't be used after I upgraded 12.6.

Now that you mention it, I did have occasional KP shutdowns in Big Sur.

If I recall correctly, the computer didn't just shut down; the mouse would freeze, and usually I'd have to force shut down. I think at least once, probably more than that, it did shut down on its own after the freeze.

They were annoyingly frequent, maybe once a week or so, but not so much that I stopped to investigate, aside from maybe once or twice glancing at a crash report that I didn't understand.

I forgot about it because I don't think I've had a single kernel panic since upgrading to Monterey about three weeks ago. (fingers crossed)

I'm on Monterey 12.3.1 and OC 0.7.9.
This exact thing was happening to me, but is still happening on Monterey with OpenCore. Only during graphics-intensive things like gaming or video conferencing. It's driving me nuts and Gigabyte doesn't do Advanced RMA (only regular) so I might just have to buy a new motherboard, which may not even fix it.

I wouldn’t think there’d be issue as long as your (headless) frame buffer assignment is correct. I’d double-check your work following all the guides on pg1.
Unfortunately all is correct for me. Was working well up until I simultaneously updated to 12.6 and updated past OC 0.8.1. I’ll see if a different SMBIOS works, or rolling back OC a bit.

What's the best method to disable AppleGFXHDA?
The correct way is to override it with a dummy kext or a patch in your config.plist.
@zakinster, @skittlebrau or anybody, can you tell me how to do it this "correct way"? A dummy kext or patch in config.plist?

Edit: Here is my Kernel>Block section, and I used Hackintool to Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions, but HDMI audio still appears under Audio MIDI Setup (Sony TV) and I see it in kextstat:

Code:
        <key>Block</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Disable AppleGFXHDA</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Identifier</key>
                <string>com.apple.driver.AppleGFXHDA</string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string></string>
            </dict>
        </array>
1666663002700.png

Last edited:
My sound card is not working properly. Does the landlord have a solution?
Did you Allow it in System Preferences<Security & Privacy<Microphone, etc?

Back