Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Quick couple questions:
• What are people using to monitor system sensors these day? i.e., temp, SMART, RPM, etc.
• After clearing my Clover NVRAM the display won't turn off per Energy Saver prefs. Is this a familiar problem?

Are the first two screenshots showing graphics glitches?
  • Which version of BIOS is installed?
  • If you have Windows or Linux on this system, do graphics glitches and freezes occur there as well?
Yes
BIOS: F9g
I only have MacOs 12.6

It's possible that it's an application specific problem, but I've had crashes with both Hearthstone and Adobe Photoshop.

UPDATE: The crash problems have gone away as mysteriously as they appeared. Best guess is that Adobe Creative Cloud (which I don't use) was causing chaos. I flailed around trying to stop its hydra-like background processes from constantly auto starting. I started off messing around in Application Support files, then LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. Finally, in a fit of frustration, I gutted the CCXProcess package and basically threw away its files one at a time until the hurting stopped. All of my startup times have markedly improved. Photoshop now opens within 10 seconds.

Last edited:
Hello CaseySJ, can you please suggest a 1TB/2TB NVMe drive as I'm planning to upgrade the NVMes on my both systems?

I'm between these models:

Gigabyte Aorus Gen4 SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe PCI Express 4.0​

Seagate Firecuda 530 SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe PCI Express 4.0​

Western Digital SN850 SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe PCI Express 4.0​

and, of your opinion, if you have a better drive on ur mind!

P.S. Aorus is much cheaper than the the other two. My main concern is to not have TRIM problems and to be full compatible with macOS Ventura.

Western Digital SN850
The newer SN850X often sells for less than the SN850. Best for hackintosh imo.

When you consider what Apple charges for a Mac Studio 2TB SSD upgrade, don't worry that this costs $230 it's a bargain at $370 less.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
With Z390 systems there's no need for PCIe 4.0 and you may look for 3.0 drives as well.
Yes I’m aware about pci-ex 3.0. I just want to buy revision 4.0 cause I’m thinking to upgrade sometime in the near future!

The newer SN850X often sells for less than the SN850. Best for hackintosh imo.

When you consider what Apple charges for a Mac Studio 2TB SSD upgrade, don't worry that this costs $230 it's a bargain at $370 less.

View attachment 556491
I read somewhere in the forum that a few people had issues with SN850x. If it works without issues then it’s a better choice I think. Is it going to fully support trim at macOS Ventura also?

I read somewhere in the forum that a few people had issues with SN850x. If it works without issues then it’s a better choice I think. Is it going to fully support trim at macOS Ventura also?
I am very much in favor of the WD SN series. I have two or three of the SN850 models, and they work fully in all versions of macOS including Ventura.

Back