Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

not really, just copy and paste another Find and Replace and then copy and paste new info
Done. TB hot swap seems to work now, but there's a problem when sleeping or waking from sleep. Anyway, I've made some good progress. Time for more backups...

I am trying to get hot plug working on a Z170x-UD5-TH setup. Where am I supposed to add this huge rename? If I try to add this to the add tab of the ACPI part of OCauxiliarytools, it doesn't work. Any ideas?
@canyondust?
Simply use OpenCore Configurator (OCC). Each version of this supports two specific versions of OpenCore so it’s necessary to use the right version. The title bar of OCC states the version being supported.

This ACPI patch simply goes into the ACPI —> Patch section of OCC.

Simply use OpenCore Configurator (OCC). Each version of this supports two specific versions of OpenCore so it’s necessary to use the right version. The title bar of OCC states the version being supported.

This ACPI patch simply goes into the ACPI —> Patch section of OCC.
Thanks, I used PlistEditPro. Don't like OCC. Much prefer OCAuxiliaryTools, but big find/replace operations are not its strong point.

You're awesome :)
I've attached the file

All 19 tables, including the slot 2 disabler, loaded properly. The plot thickens. Will need to run some experiments on my test bench…
@yabusa,

After a little experimentation on my Z390 Designare with two AMD GPUs (RX580 in slot 1 and RX 5700 XT in slot 2), I was able to disable the RX 5700 XT (slot 2) with the attached SSDT.

Filename: SSDT-Disable-AMD-GPU-Slot-2.aml

Please give this a try.

CAUTION: Please monitor backplate temperature of the 'disabled' GPU with a temperature probe or thermal imaging probe. The card may remain powered although a driver won't attach to it. Periodically check to see if the disabled GPU's fans spin up to maintain a safe temperature.

Slot 1 and slot 2 versions of this SSDT are also posted here:

Attachments

• SSDT-Disable-AMD-GPU-Slot-2.aml
    262 bytes · Views: 22
Last edited:
@yabusa,

After a little experimentation on my Z390 Designare with two AMD GPUs (RX580 in slot 1 and RX 5700 XT in slot 2), I was able to disable the RX 5700 XT (slot 2) with the attached SSDT.

Please give this a try.

CAUTION: Please monitor backplate temperature of the 'disabled' GPU with a temperature probe or thermal imaging probe. The card may remain powered although a driver won't attach to it. Periodically check to see if the disabled GPU's fans spin up to maintain a safe temperature.

I gave the file a shot, but still no luck
My steps were:
- Add the .aml file to the ACPI folder
- Open config.plist with propertree
- Cmd + R to OC snapshot
- Saved and restarted

I found something interesting in hackindrom. The WX was listed twice

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.15.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.15.13 PM.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.15.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.15.35 PM.png
    276.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.16.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.16.00 PM.png
    490.5 KB · Views: 25
@yabusa,

Please give this a try.

Here are some other things I've noticed

The second GPU is showing as built-in instead of slot 2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.22.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.22.16 PM.png
    625 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.22.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.22.53 PM.png
    626.5 KB · Views: 23
I gave the file a shot, but still no luck
My steps were:
- Add the .aml file to the ACPI folder
- Open config.plist with propertree
- Cmd + R to OC snapshot
- Saved and restarted

I found something interesting in hackindrom. The WX was listed twice
Not to start a religious war, but we should not use ProperTree and especially not use its Snapshot feature. There's no reason to use that type of app for most purposes when OpenCore Configurator is available. Those plist screenshots take quite some time to read.

Let's use OpenCore Configurator and add the SSDT to its ACPI section.

Having said that, it seems there is a difference in "attachment points" between the RX 500 series and its successors. The old RX 500 series attaches directly to PEG1.PEGP, but it renames PEGP to GFX1. The newer GPUs attach to PEG1.PEGP.<bridge>.GFX1.

Please try the latest version attached here. File name: SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-RX500-Slot-2.aml

Attachments

• SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-RX500-Slot-2.aml
    283 bytes · Views: 19
Last edited:
Not to start a religious war, but we should not use ProperTree and especially not use its Snapshot feature. There's no reason to use that type of app for most purposes when OpenCore Configurator is available. Those plist screenshots take quite some time to read.

Let's use OpenCore Configurator and add the SSDT to its ACPI section.

Having said that, it seems there is a difference in "attachment points" between the RX 500 series and its successors. The old RX 500 series attaches directly to PEG1.PEGP, but it renames PEGP to GFX1. The newer GPUs attach to PEG1.PEGP.<bridge>.GFX1.

Please try the latest version attached here. File name: SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-RX500-Slot-2.aml
Not at all! I didn't know any better. I ended up with Propertree by following the dortania installation guide
The OpenCore Configurator you suggested is MUCH more user-friendly and shows up automatically.
I absolutely hated the screenshot thing with Propertree. Just deleted it from my system :p
I'm glad you pointed that out brother! You got my rig back to perfect set up
I appreciate you a lot for your time and effort ❤️
You're amazing

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.33.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.33.39 PM.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 31
You got my rig back to perfect set up
Does this (and screenshot of Displays) mean that the latest SSDT succeeded in disabling the RX580 in slot 2? :)

Back