Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just posting a little more info.

I believe this started shortly after updating to 12.6 over the weekend.

Some other observations-
* I think others have reported problems with resolution & sync rates.
* Color profiles on HDR monitors sometimes is just ... wrong. Reboot fixes it.
* Previous to the update, a wide assortment of resolutions were available. These options no longer appear.
* Sleeping and especially the resume after attempting to sleep aren't dependable

These issues with sync, optional resolutions, color profiles, and fail to really sleep (with shutdown) are on DisplayPort or HDMI.

Just guessing, but maybe a problem with the 6900xt and 12.6 drivers?

Any guesses?
In Monterey 12.6, I've had issues like the magenta monitor after waking a display –not general sleep, just display sleep. I thought it was only a problem with my new BenQ QHD monitor, so I returned it. The Viewsonic FHD that I've had for 5 years has no such issues. I'm now using an LG OLED 42C2 tv which looks stunning, but has a hard time detecting the HDMI signal if I use the remote to power off the tv, forcing me to restart the computer. I wonder if it's aggressive power management in Monterey.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 12.58.47 AM.png

Last edited:
@EdBogie

This means Monterey did not get installed. The installer started, then failed.

A common cause is Misc —> Security —> SecureBootModel. Please check if it’s set to “Default” (which we recommend).

@CaseySJ
I updated to OC 0.8.3 and macOS Monterey 12.6
Everything went well. I'm just trying to disable gpu slot 2.
The .aml file I had from before seems to not work unless I did something to mess it up?
I've attached an image of my folders and the .aml/.kext settings in config.plist
Let's have a look at the following:
  • Please post the SSDT you're using for disabling GPU in Slot 2
  • Also run IORegistryExplorer, scroll (not search) down to PEG1 (this is where slot 2 devices are attached), and post a screenshot

Let's have a look at the following:
  • Please post the SSDT you're using for disabling GPU in Slot 2
  • Also run IORegistryExplorer, scroll (not search) down to PEG1 (this is where slot 2 devices are attached), and post a screenshot
Thanks for your response
I have attached both

Attachments

• SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-2-GPU.aml
    171 bytes · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 8.41.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 8.41.00 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
If some resolutions aren’t available, it’s a good idea to (a) reset NVRAM, and if that doesn’t help, (b) reset CMOS. Resetting CMOS requires us to configure BIOS parameters again.

Have you already attempted one or both of the above?
I hadn’t, however the system is a little worse after the cmos reset. I did reconfigure the settings, used page 1 instructions. I have a hunch something was missed. See image below.
F8E55EB1-ACB0-4E65-8DE7-9BB45B89A728.jpeg

Failed to drop acpi… not found.

Shortly after login it freezes up. I’ve checked and rechecked… donno.

If some resolutions aren’t available, it’s a good idea to (a) reset NVRAM, and if that doesn’t help, (b) reset CMOS. Resetting CMOS requires us to configure BIOS parameters again.

Have you already attempted one or both of the above?

Thanks for your response
I have attached both
The IOReg screenshot shows...
  • there's no GPU in slot 1
  • there's an AMD GPU in slot 2
Not sure why you want to disable a functioning AMD GPU?

I hadn’t, however the system is a little worse after the cmos reset. I did reconfigure the settings, used page 1 instructions. I have a hunch something was missed. See image below.
View attachment 555517
Failed to drop acpi… not found.

Shortly after login it freezes up. I’ve checked and rechecked… donno.
The screenshot indicates that Table DMAR could not be dropped.
  • Which version of BIOS is installed?
  • Please post screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Delete as shown:
Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 5.13.02 AM.png

I never updated to the capsule BIOS on my Z390, but for those who did and regret it, it looks like a user over at win-raid has written a guide on how to downgrade. Again, I offer no user experience with this and proceed at your own risk!
@CaseySJ -Not sure if it's appropriate to provide this link, please delete the post if it's against forum rules.

Link

Updated Link- Here
Just wanted to say thanks and document another successful downgrade from capsule Bios F9 to F9i on the z390. I couldn't get my UAD apollo twin X to connect on F9 running Monterey 12.6 - not with my hand-rolled OC config, not with a fresh USB made with Hackindrom or the configs from CaseySJ's OpenCore 0.8.3 guide. So I guess it's an issue with that BIOS.

Thunderbolt seems to work well now that I've downgraded to F9i, including hot-plug.

Hi @CaseySJ , The attachment is the Thunderbolt firmware of HP elitedesk 800 G5 (Thunderbolt fiex IO card ,JHL7340). Can you help me fix it? many thanks!

Attachments

• MX25V8006-1.BIN.zip
    433.2 KB · Views: 23
Hi @CaseySJ , The attachment is the Thunderbolt firmware of HP elitedesk 800 G5 (Thunderbolt fiex IO card ,JHL7340). Can you help me fix it? many thanks!
Hello @mogoti

Attached is the modified NVM61 firmware. To check if it's okay, simply post screenshots of:
  • System Information --> Thunderbolt
  • IORegistryExplorer --> (scroll down to the Thunderbolt section and post screenshot)

Attachments

• MX25V8006-1-NVM61-CASEYSJ.BIN.zip
    433.8 KB · Views: 23
Back