Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello David,

I recently encountered problems in simply launching Zoom on one of my systems. After trying this and that, I just uninstalled and reinstalled the application. That solved my particular problem. So it may be a good idea to do that first.

Uninstall Zoom from the menu bar as shown:
View attachment 555189

Then download latest version from https://zoom.us and install.
I actually did exactly that myself earlier today. No success. The bug still comes up each time. :geek:

Some questions:
  • Does hot plug work for some Thunderbolt devices (not USB devices) and not for other Thunderbolt devices?
  • Or hot plug does not work at all?
  • Which Thunderbolt devices do you have (not USB)?
Hot plug does not work at all. I have a Thunderbolt eGPU RX 580.

Hey, Casey! Question for you. I’ve got a i9-9900k with a Designare Z390 (f6) and a Radeon RX 580 Pulse 8GB, have been merrily running Mojave through clover for the past couple of years but recently ran into an issue where every other boot up the whole system will start lagging like crazy and eventually jam up, so I figured it was time to move on instead of fixing old install.

Anywho, decided to go the OpenCore path and have tried to install Monterey on a new drive on the same machine. Followed the Dorantia guide and I got the installer off of the USB to load and start to install on my drive, and it’ll get to the 28 minutes remaining page, but sometime during that it’ll black out and show me this screen. I see there’s a spot where it’s trying to get to a “Locked Files” folder, but I’ve got both of the CFG lock kexts in my EFI already. Any ideas? And I already mapped my USBs.

Thanks!

Attachments

• E44940C7-6761-44A2-8F01-97206B1B9C6F.jpeg
    E44940C7-6761-44A2-8F01-97206B1B9C6F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
Hey, Casey! Question for you. I’ve got a i9-9900k with a Designare Z390 (f6) and a Radeon RX 580 Pulse 8GB, have been merrily running Mojave through clover for the past couple of years but recently ran into an issue where every other boot up the whole system will start lagging like crazy and eventually jam up, so I figured it was time to move on instead of fixing old install.

Anywho, decided to go the OpenCore path and have tried to install Monterey on a new drive on the same machine. Followed the Dorantia guide and I got the installer off of the USB to load and start to install on my drive, and it’ll get to the 28 minutes remaining page, but sometime during that it’ll black out and show me this screen. I see there’s a spot where it’s trying to get to a “Locked Files” folder, but I’ve got both of the CFG lock kexts in my EFI already. Any ideas? And I already mapped my USBs.

Thanks!
post 1 has all the files you should need

I actually did exactly that myself earlier today. No success. The bug still comes up each time. :geek:
Does Zoom have the necessary screen access permissions? These are specified in System Preferences—> Security & Privacy.

I can check screen sharing on my system later today.

Thanks!
Hello @EdBogie

Because you’re doing a fresh installation (good plan) with OpenCore, simply open the spoiler near the top of Post 1, which is labeled “Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides”. In section 1 of that spoiler you’ll find a link to a fully configured OpenCore EFI folder. You’ll also find a link to BIOS F9g that has CFG-Lock disabled by default.

I would suggest installing BIOS F9g first (and configure BIOS parameters right afterwards). Then transfer PlatformInfo credentials from your existing OpenCore config.plist into the config.plist located in the downloaded EFI folder.

Hello @CaseySJ
I found that if I modify the original HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_HR_2C_C1_rev61_0_1_2_1_SEC3_sign.bin (the CH341A dumped will not work)accord to MOD1 you provided,it works!
View attachment 555018
After try to modify the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml the thunderbolt SSP1 port show up. If cold boot with a type c usb plug in ,everyting seems ok.
View attachment 555020
View attachment 555019

But what a pity ,the thunderbolt hotplug still not work.Maybe the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml still not right. I am not fimiliar the ACPI, could you please help figure out what the problem is ?
Best regard.

Very interesting. This binary file is only 0x66000 (417,792) bytes long, whereas the file extracted from CH341a is full 0x200000 (2,097,152 or 2 MiB) bytes long.

Generally the Thunderbolt flash ROM contains firmware for two components:
  • Thunderbolt (TBT) controller
  • Power delivery (PD) controller
On this HP add-in-card, however, I don't see the power delivery firmware, so it must be on a different chip. This is most likely why the modified short file still works.

Note:
  • The Thunderbolt flash ROM chip is 2 megabytes in size
  • The firmware file you modified is only 408 kilobytes in side
  • When you flashed the modified file using CH341a programmer, first the entire chip was erased. Then only the first 408 KB were written
  • Normally this would kill the Power Delivery function, but you are lucky that PD firmware is most likely located somewhere else

Sure...please run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to RP09, then post a screenshot.
Hello @CaseySJ .
Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 22.03.00.png

I could not make any progress from then on .
Hotplug nerver work.
I am really need your help.
Thanks.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml
    3.4 KB · Views: 18
  • HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_HR_2C_C1_rev61_0_1_2_1_SEC3_sign_mod.bin.zip
    223.1 KB · Views: 20
  • HPTBT.aml
    97.6 KB · Views: 19
Hi @CaseySJ Are the Configure Carbon Copy Cloner/System Backup instructions listed for Big Sur w/ the additional instruction link the way to go w/ Monterey? I am using CC 6.1.3

Hi @CaseySJ Are the Configure Carbon Copy Cloner/System Backup instructions listed for Big Sur w/ the additional instruction link the way to go w/ Monterey? I am using CC 6.1.3
Step 11 in the guide below contains the very latest backup procedure:

Hello @CaseySJ .
View attachment 555200
I could not make any progress from then on .
Hotplug nerver work.
I am really need your help.
Thanks.
This will take some time to examine. In all our experience so far with a flashed Titan Ridge controller, there has been no issue with hot plug. We haven’t needed to trap or change any GPE event. I usually recommend attaching a simpler Thunderbolt device for testing purposes. EGPUs are among the most complicated Thunderbolt devices, as are Thunderbolt monitors. If you have a Thunderbolt dock or SSD, those would be good options.

Historically, hot plug either works or it doesn’t. The most we can do is configure device properties properly via SSDT. The SSDT you’re using is already doing this.

Back