Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi. please little help to solve my problem with TB
Wen I use USB-C cable on phone or Ipad device not recogise from system only charge.
I find some miss on ioreg . There is nothing on DBS4
So I flash my TB chip using CH341A Programmer.
After that use last Opencore 0.8.3 folder. Also generate new SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.
I use F9i patched bios. here I upload my Ioreg
please some to give me jocker :)

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    20 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 21.52.16.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 21.52.16.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 21.52.22.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 21.52.22.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 18
  • EFI.zip
    50.2 MB · Views: 25
Hi. please little help to solve my problem with TB
Wen I use USB-C cable on phone or Ipad device not recogise from system only charge.
I find some miss on ioreg . There is nothing on DBS4
So I flash my TB chip using CH341A Programmer.
After that use last Opencore 0.8.3 folder. Also generate new SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.
I use F9i patched bios. here I upload my Ioreg
please some to give me jocker :)
Hello @glofter1

This problem is because USB ports HS08 and HS13 are disabled in the USB SSDT as mentioned in Post 1. Flashing the Thunderbolt controller will enable Thunderbolt Bus, but to fix this USB problem we only need to use a different USB SSDT.

We have two options:
  1. We can disable two other USB ports and enable HS8/13. This keeps the total port count at 15.
  2. We can add HS8/13 without disabling other ports, but we’ll need to enable XhciPortLimit checkbox in kernel section of config.plist.

Hello @CaseySJ
I found that if I modify the original HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_HR_2C_C1_rev61_0_1_2_1_SEC3_sign.bin (the CH341A dumped will not work)accord to MOD1 you provided,it works!
Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 03.27.42.png

After try to modify the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml the thunderbolt SSP1 port show up. If cold boot with a type c usb plug in ,everyting seems ok.
Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 03.28.18.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 03.32.40.png

But what a pity ,the thunderbolt hotplug still not work.Maybe the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml still not right. I am not fimiliar the ACPI, could you please help figure out what the problem is ?
Best regard.

Attachments

• HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_HR_2C_C1_rev61_0_1_2_1_SEC3_sign_mod.bin.zip
    223.1 KB · Views: 14
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml
    3.4 KB · Views: 14
  • HPTBT.aml
    97.6 KB · Views: 14
Hello @CaseySJ
I found that if I modify the original HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_HR_2C_C1_rev61_0_1_2_1_SEC3_sign.bin (the CH341A dumped will not work)accord to MOD1 you provided,it works!
Very interesting. This binary file is only 0x66000 (417,792) bytes long, whereas the file extracted from CH341a is full 0x200000 (2,097,152 or 2 MiB) bytes long.

Generally the Thunderbolt flash ROM contains firmware for two components:
  • Thunderbolt (TBT) controller
  • Power delivery (PD) controller
On this HP add-in-card, however, I don't see the power delivery firmware, so it must be on a different chip. This is most likely why the modified short file still works.

Note:
  • The Thunderbolt flash ROM chip is 2 megabytes in size
  • The firmware file you modified is only 408 kilobytes in side
  • When you flashed the modified file using CH341a programmer, first the entire chip was erased. Then only the first 408 KB were written
  • Normally this would kill the Power Delivery function, but you are lucky that PD firmware is most likely located somewhere else

After try to modify the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml the thunderbolt SSP1 port show up. If cold boot with a type c usb plug in ,everyting seems ok.

But what a pity ,the thunderbolt hotplug still not work.Maybe the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml still not right. I am not fimiliar the ACPI, could you please help figure out what the problem is ?
Sure...please run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to RP09, then post a screenshot.

Very interesting. This binary file is only 0x66000 (417,792) bytes long, whereas the file extracted from CH341a is full 0x200000 (2,097,152 or 2 MiB) bytes long.

Generally the Thunderbolt flash ROM contains firmware for two components:
  • Thunderbolt (TBT) controller
  • Power delivery (PD) controller
On this HP add-in-card, however, I don't see the power delivery firmware, so it must be on a different chip. This is most likely why the modified short file still works.

Note:
  • The Thunderbolt flash ROM chip is 2 megabytes in size
  • The firmware file you modified is only 408 kilobytes in side
  • When you flashed the modified file using CH341a programmer, first the entire chip was erased. Then only the first 408 KB were written
  • Normally this would kill the Power Delivery function, but you are lucky that PD firmware is most likely located somewhere else

Sure...please run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to RP09, then post a screenshot.
@CaseySJ genius bro !
I should tell you that this is a very special thunderbolt card used on hp z2 series(z2 g4/g5/g8 sff/twr,my machine is z2 g5 sff which is w480 chipset) with tow part of it , a pcie card and a hp flex io card with tow wires chain them together .
The PD firmware indeed locate on somewhere else.
IMG_20220920_091604.jpg
IMG_20220920_091713.jpg
IMG_20220920_091817.jpg
IMG_20220920_091756.jpg
IMG_20220920_092049.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 09.42.59.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 09.43.17.png

Attachments

• Asrake-hackintosh.ioreg
    48.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220920_091604.jpg
    IMG_20220920_091604.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Here's my recent experience with VRR:

I went to the thread you recommended. One of the ways to get all the display options could be to change SMBIOS. I tried with the one on the MacPro 7.1, figuring it must be the most versatile machine, but I didn't get any progress. I conclude that hopefully Ventura will maybe bring something. In the meantime, I'm not sure if I'll stay with MacPro 7.1 or go back to iMacPro 1.1

Last edited:
I went to the thread you recommended. One of the ways to get all the display options could be to change SMBIOS. I tried with the one on the MacPro 7.1, figuring it must be the most versatile machine, but I didn't get any progress. I conclude that hopefully Ventura will maybe bring something. In the meantime, I'm not sure if I'll stay with MacPro 7.1 or go back to iMacPro 1.1
Just to confirm: Are you using DisplayPort 1.4 cable?

This is the cable that came with the monitor, I don't know if it's DP 1.4, I guess it's adapted to the capabilities of the screen (well, I hope). That said, if there are no such problems with Windows 10, it must be suitable, I guess?

Hi @CaseySJ

Thank you for taking the time out to respond. I really appreciate it.
Sorry for the late reply.
  • Are you using a Thunderbolt monitor? What is the make/model of the monitor?
  • What ig-platform-id are you using in Device Properties (config.plist)?
I am using an RCA 4K UHD TV with HDMI connected to TB3 dock via DP/HDMI Converter. I am using HDMI 2.0 cable and DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 Converter

My Platform ID:

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.00.20 AM.png

I found that I have to shutdown, start PC, allow PC to sleep and wake PC before the display is discovered with Thunderbolt bus enabled. If bus is not enabled or no TB hardware found, display works normally with hot plug.

Settings:
- Laptop in clamshell mode
- Using original firmware on Intel JH6540 Alpine Ridge
- SSDT-TbtOnPch
- GPIO3 Force Pwr Enabled
- Thunderbolt Device Boot Disabled

Thanks again!

Attachments

• SSDT-TbtOnPch-Yoga-720.aml
    4.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ , so I decided to go through the sea comments and landed on conversation you had with @passmore:
What you discovered in EDIT 4 is very common. However, the procedure to activate Thunderbolt Bus should be a little simpler, as follows:
  1. Boot macOS. Should not matter whether it's a cold boot (from Kill AC Power) or standard power up.
  2. Login and then just go to Apple menu and select Restart. This is a warm boot.
  3. Log back in. Now Thunderbolt Bus should be okay.

This is currently the case with my thunderbolt configuration without flashing firmware. However, when the bus does get activated, the TB DisplayPort still needs a sleep/wake cycle to get activated. When bus isn't activated, TB DisplayPort activates immediately.

Not sure if things have changed since that post. Then I saw this and I think I'm entering Stage 4 of Grief :):
Thunderbolt add-in-cards tend to work best on motherboards that have either (a) a Thunderbolt header (labeled THB_C) or (b) an on-board Thunderbolt controller.

Reason: The firmware (BIOS) of a motherboard with either (a) or (b) contains support for Thunderbolt, including hot plug events, USB-C protocol, controller power gate functions, etc. We can even use an SSDT alone to activate Thunderbolt Bus for an Alpine Ridge controller.

However, the usual disclaimer applies:

Thunderbolt behavior, particularly with flashed controllers, exhibits idiosyncrasies that are unique to each board and each add-in-card and each version of motherboard BIOS (firmware).

The problems get worse the further back in time we go. Newer boards, particularly those with Thunderbolt headers or built-in controllers, perform the best (but still not perfect).

The Designare Z390 and Z490 Vision D with flashed on-board controllers have the fewest idiosyncrasies.

Have you considered upgrading just the motherboard to one that still supports your CPU, but contains a THB_C header?

Would love to know if this display idiosyncrasy has been discovered elsewhere.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Back