Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Some questions:
  • Is this happening on the fresh install?
  • Is there anything in the Trash?
  • If you hold CTRL key while clicking on System Preferences icon on the Dock, then select a preferences pane, does it open?
  • What version of macOS have you installed?
  • During the end of the installation process when the "Welcome" wizard appeared, were you able to create a user account properly?
  • If you log out and log back in, can you open System Preferences?
Initially I thought I had resolved this with a simple reboot but I'm experiencing it again so it might be worth delving deeper.

• Yes, this is the fresh install.
• Trash is empty.
• Some PrefPanes will open but others won't. I'm again having trouble with Accessibility and Mouse, for example.
• There were no issues with accounts during setup. I did not migrate any data from an existing Home folder but instead started fresh.
• No, but a reboot helps.

Thanks so much @mustang.dvs ! This thread is huge.

I wonder if anyone can help me. So with both @CaseySJ 's Opencore EFI and the one by seven-of-eleven, I'm having the same issue:

Computer is fine when being used, but when left idle for 15mins, it freezes. Then, it either restarts after a minute, or it goes into sleep (display turns off) and then restarts when I try to wake it.

To prevent crashing I have a macro that runs after 3mins of idle, that prevents sleep.

I also tried enabling SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext on Casey's build.

Opencore 0.8.3, Monterey 12.5.1, iMac19,1, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, Sapphire Vega 64, 9900k, Kingston HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600, no overclocking, BIOS F9i, Crucial MX500
Some questions:
  • Is this a brand new installation of Monterey?
  • If not, was it running Big Sur or Catalina before being upgraded in-place to Monterey?
    • If so, perhaps some applications aren't compatible with Monterey. We generally recommend upgrading all third-party apps and removing any legacy 32-bit apps
  • Was it running Clover? And you would like to switch to OpenCore?

Initially I thought I had resolved this with a simple reboot but I'm experiencing it again so it might be worth delving deeper.

• Yes, this is the fresh install.
• Trash is empty.
• Some PrefPanes will open but others won't. I'm again having trouble with Accessibility and Mouse, for example.
• There were no issues with accounts during setup. I did not migrate any data from an existing Home folder but instead started fresh.
• No, but a reboot helps.
I vague recall someone reporting a problem like this. Not sure about the details, but here's something to consider:
  • If you've logged into iCloud, try signing out
  • Check your config.plist for the following:
Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 9.25.16 AM.png

• Worst case, try erasing the disk and re-installing macOS. But do not log into iCloud. Check if all System Preferences panes open properly.

Some questions:
  • Is this a brand new installation of Monterey?
  • If not, was it running Big Sur or Catalina before being upgraded in-place to Monterey?
    • If so, perhaps some applications aren't compatible with Monterey. We generally recommend upgrading all third-party apps and removing any legacy 32-bit apps
  • Was it running Clover? And you would like to switch to OpenCore?
This is a fresh install of Monterey (never clover or a previous OS), although I did copy/paste some apps over from my previous hard drive, which was Catalina+Clover. If you think it could be an app, I can close everything and see if it still happens.

I'm also getting a replacement PSU today, but I'm not sure if that fixes it.

Thanks for your reply and all your great work here. You're truly a legend!

This is a fresh install of Monterey (never clover or a previous OS), although I did copy/paste some apps over from my previous hard drive, which was Catalina+Clover. If you think it could be an app, I can close everything and see if it still happens.
If a freshly installed system is freezing after 15 or so minutes of inactivity, I would consider the following:
  • Sure, it's always a good idea to close all 3rd party apps
  • Check all cables, particularly the 24-pin motherboard cable and the 8-pin CPU cable (at the top left of motherboard)
    • Check both ends of each power cable
  • Check that all PCIe cards are securely installed in their slots
  • Check that memory modules are fully inserted in their slots
I'm also getting a replacement PSU today, but I'm not sure if that fixes it.
I faced a similar problem recently that turned out to be due to faulty memory. If you have another pair of memory modules, try installing those in this system for a period of time.

Regarding the PSU:
  • How old is the PSU you're currently using?
  • What is the power rating of the existing PSU?

If a freshly installed system is freezing after 15 or so minutes of inactivity, I would consider the following:
  • Sure, it's always a good idea to close all 3rd party apps
  • Check all cables, particularly the 24-pin motherboard cable and the 8-pin CPU cable (at the top left of motherboard)
    • Check both ends of each power cable
  • Check that all PCIe cards are securely installed in their slots
  • Check that memory modules are fully inserted in their slots
I'll check these today.

I faced a similar problem recently that turned out to be due to faulty memory. If you have another pair of memory modules, try installing those in this system for a period of time.
I don't but I have a Windows boot drive... I can run Memtest or ideally something easier :)

Regarding the PSU:
Seasonic Focus PX-850 (850W 80+ Platinum), bought in 2020. Seasonic sent me an Advance RMA.

I don't but I have a Windows boot drive... I can run Memtest or ideally something easier :)
Running Windows is actually a good test. During my experience with faulty memory, Memtest did not help, but Windows would routinely crash. This convinced me that a hardware component was at fault. I had another pair of DIMMs on hand so my first thought was to replacement memory -- and that in fact turned out to be the root cause.

So running Windows is a good idea. If Windows is stable for long periods of time (including idle periods), then there is a reduced chance that hardware is at fault.

Here are two more experiments to try:

Experiment #1:
  • Replace SSDT-TbtOnPch-ThinkPad-T480-OC-V2.aml with the new version attached
  • This one requires:
    • Find: 5f 4c 36 46
    • Replace: 58 4c 36 46
    • Comment: Replace _L6F with XL6F
  • Reboot and test Thunderbolt

Experiment #2:
  • Uncheck V2 and install the new V3 attached below: SSDT-TbtOnPch-ThinkPad-T480-OC-V3.aml
    • This means (a) copy file into EFI/OC/ACPI and (b) add new entry to config.plist --> ACPI --> Add
  • Uncheck the previous ACPI patch ("Replace _L6F with XL6F") and use this one instead:
    • Find: 54 42 4E 46
    • Replace: 58 42 4E 46
    • Comment: Replace TBNF with XBNF
  • Reboot and test Thunderbolt
Hi @CaseySJ

I wanted to inform you that through some changes to the EFI, which probably was not working correctly, everything is now working correctly.
Only thing that doesn't come out is DP video via HDMI, and audio via USBc
Everything else works fine, including Hotplug TB3
AppleVTD it remained disabled, as it was causing problems with the TB3 port

Thanks so much for your invaluable help.

Thanks so much @mustang.dvs ! This thread is huge.

I wonder if anyone can help me. So with both @CaseySJ 's Opencore EFI and the one by seven-of-eleven, I'm having the same issue:

Computer is fine when being used, but when left idle for 15mins, it freezes. Then, it either restarts after a minute, or it goes into sleep (display turns off) and then restarts when I try to wake it.

To prevent crashing I have a macro that runs after 3mins of idle, that prevents sleep.

I also tried enabling SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext on Casey's build.

Opencore 0.8.3, Monterey 12.5.1, iMac19,1, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, Sapphire Vega 64, 9900k, Kingston HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600, no overclocking, BIOS F9i, Crucial MX500
Just for fun, disable all sleep and "energy saver" options in System Preferences and see if that makes any difference. Of course, if you have an external audio interface, don't let your system "save energy" when it is connected and powered on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.22.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.22.11 PM.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 18
Hi @CaseySJ

Long time no issues :)
Until recently. I know you shouldn't be the first point of call for this however my googling has not uncovered any solutions. My issue is with Liquidctl, once upon a time this was running flawlessly with scripts to start it at boot and set my colours and fan speeds, however, recently I have discovered that I am now getting the below:

lukesummerscales@Lukes-iMac ~ % liquidctl status

ERROR: could not open Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0 8297 Controller, possibly due to insufficient permissions

ERROR: could not open NZXT Kraken X (X42, X52, X62 or X72), possibly due to insufficient permissions

lukesummerscales@Lukes-iMac ~ %

I am not sure what has happened here but I am no longer able to control these two devices. Have you seen this before and have others possibly found a solution to this? I don't believe I have made any system changes with OC nor have I changed using any of my original KEXTS other than when updates have been released.

:)

Back