Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

Given the TB3 problem solved, how can I fix the iGPU problem?
Even patching the connectors I can't get video via DP / HDMI on TB3
I don't know why I can't even get the integrated HDMI and audio from HDMI / DP to go
It would be best to describe the problem -- and any procedures you've already tried -- in this thread:

@mustang.dvs,

Good write-up of the problem! My first thought is to perform a CMOS Reset as follows:
  • Shutdown the system
  • Flip power switch on PSU to OFF position
  • Use a flathead screwdriver to short the two designated pins on motherboard (refer to manual if needed)
  • Power back up
  • BIOS parameters will have to be re-configured; start with Load Optimized Defaults, then configure the other parameters
  • Boot macOS and check Bluetooth again
After the CMOS reset, I have a new problem: it doesn’t progress past the Apple on boot (no progress bar; I reset the BIOS settings twice using the guide at the beginning of the thread, just to be sure I hadn’t missed something)
Here’s where it hangs with Cmd-V held down at boot:
3D258B01-B9EE-4639-9B35-8CE9A1B5C86C.jpeg

ETA: I get the same when booting from a freshly downloaded 0.8.3 EFI USB drive and when trying to boot into either the Catalina install USB or the 12.5.1 recovery partition, so I’m guessing it’s a BIOS misconfiguration, but I can’t see where I might have gone wrong, though it has been ages (and one bout of memory-flextime long COVID) since I messed around under the hood?

96B7013D-942F-42D3-A8B5-BC8FEE25656A.jpeg

Last edited:
After the CMOS reset, I have a new problem: it doesn’t progress past the Apple on boot (no progress bar; I reset the BIOS settings twice using the guide at the beginning of the thread, just to be sure I hadn’t missed something)
Here’s where it hangs with Cmd-V held down at boot:
View attachment 554173

ETA: I get the same when booting from a freshly downloaded 0.8.3 EFI USB drive and when trying to boot into either the Catalina install USB or the 12.5.1 recovery partition, so I’m guessing it’s a BIOS misconfiguration, but I can’t see where I might have gone wrong, though it has been ages (and one bout of memory-flextime long COVID) since I messed around under the hood?

View attachment 554174
This most likely means that Boot —> CFG-Lock hasn’t been disabled in BIOS. We must disable it.

This most likely means that Boot —> CFG-Lock hasn’t been disabled in BIOS. We must disable it.
I’m using BIOS vF8, which doesn’t have CFG-Lock in the BIOS Boot settings.

3745B072-2EFF-4728-904E-7FA5E8FFDD2B.jpeg

3FCF45ED-454D-400B-9579-D6377E776870.jpeg

I’m using BIOS vF8, which doesn’t have CFG-Lock in the BIOS Boot settings.
This may be a good opportunity to install BIOS F9g in which CFG-Lock is disabled by default. The file can be downloaded from here:

I have corrected the rename as per screenshot

the TB3 part is loaded from the PC is OFF

the TB3 device does not detect me in the system info

From the PCI list, it loads the TB3 components for me, however by unplug / plug, it no longer loads the components.

IOREG attached.

(With another EFI where I use external DTPG, with SSDT Tb3 v1, Hotplug work stable only with the first Rename)

Also the DP / HDMI port via Hub TB3 does not work for me
Here are two more experiments to try:

Experiment #1:
  • Replace SSDT-TbtOnPch-ThinkPad-T480-OC-V2.aml with the new version attached
  • This one requires:
    • Find: 5f 4c 36 46
    • Replace: 58 4c 36 46
    • Comment: Replace _L6F with XL6F
  • Reboot and test Thunderbolt

Experiment #2:
  • Uncheck V2 and install the new V3 attached below: SSDT-TbtOnPch-ThinkPad-T480-OC-V3.aml
    • This means (a) copy file into EFI/OC/ACPI and (b) add new entry to config.plist --> ACPI --> Add
  • Uncheck the previous ACPI patch ("Replace _L6F with XL6F") and use this one instead:
    • Find: 54 42 4E 46
    • Replace: 58 42 4E 46
    • Comment: Replace TBNF with XBNF
  • Reboot and test Thunderbolt

Attachments

• SSDT-TbtOnPch-ThinkPad-T480-OC-V3.aml
    4.5 KB · Views: 23
  • SSDT-TbtOnPch-ThinkPad-T480-OC-V2.aml
    4.5 KB · Views: 27
This may be a good opportunity to install BIOS F9g in which CFG-Lock is disabled by default. The file can be downloaded from here:
That did it. Thank you.

Is there value in updating to F9i?

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 7.01.18 PM.png

I have the same hardware but I want to run Opencore — is there a recommended EFI I can use? TIA!

Opencore 0.8.3, Monterey 12.5.1, iMac19,1, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, Sapphire Vega 64, 9900k, Kingston HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600, no overclocking, BIOS F9i, Crucial MX500

edit: I think this is relevant but I apologize if not!

I have the same hardware but I want to run Opencore — is there a recommended EFI I can use? TIA!

Opencore 0.8.3, Monterey 12.5.1, iMac19,1, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, Sapphire Vega 64, 9900k, Kingston HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600, no overclocking, BIOS F9i, Crucial MX500

edit: I think this is relevant but I apologize if not!
On the #1 post of the thread, you can find @CaseySJ's custom EFI under the "Spoiler: Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides" heading.

This is the latest Mini-Guide with 0.8.3 EFI (Just don't forget to transfer your System Serial Info.)

Thanks so much @mustang.dvs ! This thread is huge.

I wonder if anyone can help me. So with both @CaseySJ 's Opencore EFI and the one by seven-of-eleven, I'm having the same issue:

Computer is fine when being used, but when left idle for 15mins, it freezes. Then, it either restarts after a minute, or it goes into sleep (display turns off) and then restarts when I try to wake it.

To prevent crashing I have a macro that runs after 3mins of idle, that prevents sleep.

I also tried enabling SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext on Casey's build.

Last edited:
Back