Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@pierpaolo2395,

Thunderbolt Bus is indeed enabled and working, but as you said, hot plug does not work. This is most likely due to issues triggering and/or responding to the hot plug GPE (general purpose event). There are several _Lxx event handlers in DSDT so it's necessary to trap the right one.

Although I cannot promise a solution, I can take a look at the following files if you post them:
  • DSDT (from maciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT)
  • Thunderbolt SSDT that you're using
UPDATE: I just noticed that you're missing the following ACPI patch:
  • Find: 5F453243
  • Replace: 58453243
  • Comment: _E2C to XE2C
Please add this patch, reboot, and see if hot plug works.
I have tested the SSDT v2 you attached to me, but the TB3 part no longer displays and doesn't work
I attached the two screenshots and IOREG
Schermata 2022-09-01 alle 18.55.58.png
Schermata 2022-09-01 alle 18.56.26.png

I can't find any TB3 devices in the system info

I await your news

Attachments

• Pierpaolo's MacBook Pro.ioreg
    9.3 MB · Views: 17
This is a commonly-reported problem, but I've never encountered it myself even though I have five dual-boot systems.

Each time I install Windows, I first format the disk in macOS Disk Utility with the following settings:
  • Name: Windows
  • Format: FAT32
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map (this creates EFI partition)
Then I shutdown the system, disconnect all macOS disks, and install Windows from a USB flash disk created using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. When the Windows installer sees that an EFI partition is present, it stores all boot files on that partition.

If your Windows SSD does not have its own EFI partition, there are a series of steps we can perform within Windows to create an EFI partition and copy boot files to that partition. It would be best to clone the Windows disk first -- because a mistake along the way could have "bad" consequences.

Resources to Review before attempting:
I will do some work/research. It was dual booting with no issues until I tried the Vt-d Aquantia stuff. At least that is what i remember… I think I quit working on it once Windows quit and just ran the mac side as it has my logic stuff on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tested the SSDT v2 you attached to me, but the TB3 part no longer displays and doesn't work
I attached the two screenshots and IOREG
I can't find any TB3 devices in the system info

I await your news
ACPI Method DTGP might be missing. Please post SSDT-ThinkPad_T480.aml.

I just retried, and I can boot windows 11 from the BIOS using the Windows boot manager after running repair wizard which is not too cumbersome i guess. Not sure why OC won’t boot it any more. I will try SyncRuntimePermissions False->True as some users reported it fixes it. I’m currently updating Windows 11 so cant reboot at the moment into mac.

Last edited:
I can boot windows 11 from the bios using the windows boot manager which is not too cumbersome i guess. Not sure why OC won’t boot it any more
When we enable AppleVTD (which is required for Ethernet ports in macOS Monterey and newer), we replace the standard DMAR table provided by BIOS. This causes the problem you reported when booting Windows from OpenCore. However, I have not encountered this problem myself.

Last edited:
Back