Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm having issues with screen recording: I keep getting the error "You screen recording can't be saved (error saving recording)". I didn't hav e this issue with Mojave, only with my recent upgrade to Catalina.
Any ideas where to start trouble shooting?
Thanks in advance

Any ideas where to start trouble shooting?
Maybe you need to give your screen recording app full write access to the drive.

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 19.59.41.png

I've tried that. I'm not using a screen recording app - just the built in one (shift - cmd - 5).
I gave quicktime player full disk access as well. No luck>
I also can't play any movies or trailers on Apple TV so I wonder if it's a DRM issue.

I've tried that. I'm not using a screen recording app - just the built in one (shift - cmd - 5).
I gave quicktime player full disk access as well. No luck>
I also can't play any movies or trailers on Apple TV so I wonder if it's a DRM issue.
Screen recordings are typically saved to desktop, but when you press CMD-Shift-5 you will see an Options pop-up where you can change the output location.

So select Options and see what the current output location is and, if necessary, change it to some other folder.

Regarding DRM content on the tv app in macOS Catalina, are you currently using a shikigva boot argument? And what system product name are you using (iMac19,1)? Refer to the chart at the top of this article on the WhateverGreen GitHub page.

Hey guys, posting here since this was the original (awesome!) guide I used when I installed Yosemite/Catalina/Big Sur.

Basic Specs:

OpenCore 0.7.5
Z390 Designare
Core i7 9700K
UHD 630
1080 Ti (Disabled)
Native Apple Wifi/BT Card

Machine was working perfectly on 11.8 and I decided to upgrade to 12.5. It appears to have installed correctly, but every time I boot, it shows verbose text (as expected), then goes to a white screen, followed by the Apple logo (even on Verbose), and then regresses to Verbose and shuts down. One strange thing I noticed is my boot drive on the OC selection menu is labeled macOS - Data rather than just macOS. Could this mean the installation didn't finish properly? I tried doing a video recording to get some snapshots at the reason for the shutdown, since I'm pretty good at tracking down these issues if I have something verbose, but I'm having trouble pinpointing the shutdown cause here. Any thoughts would be awesome. Config and screenshots attached - apologies that the post verbose shot is a bit blurry.

Ran a reinstall from the recovery partition, but now I'm getting a "Storage system verify or repair failed: (-69716) message on the macOS Update Assistant screen. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Apple Logo.png
    Apple Logo.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • config.plist
    32.2 KB · Views: 27
  • ACPI Folder.png
    ACPI Folder.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Drivers Folder.png
    Drivers Folder.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Kexts Folder.png
    Kexts Folder.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Post Apple Logo Verbose.png
    Post Apple Logo Verbose.png
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • Post Apple Logo Verbose Zoomed.png
    Post Apple Logo Verbose Zoomed.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • White Screen.png
    White Screen.png
    686.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Bought recently a 144Hz 4K monitor. It works at 60Hz only. Is that normal?
Big Sur, RX 5700 XT connected via DP to AOC U28G2XU/BK 28”
Hi, have you solved the problem with the monitor and 60 fps?

Are any Thunderbolt devices connected?

Have you already tried disconnecting all external Thunderbolt and USB devices except keyboard/mouse?
Tried with all peripherals disconnected, no change. Also created an external disk with Mojave OS and 0.8.3 EFI folder, booted from that- no change when shutting down, the computer still turns on after 2 seconds.
Sorry for sounding like a noob, but isn't there a turn on switch on motherboards for testing purposes (although I read the manual for the Giga Designare MB and could not find it) that could be faulty and just keeps turning the unit on?

Also, I noticed something strange. In my boot menu there is an EFI boot option that takes me to Welcome to Clover 5122 and then returns to boot menu? I migrated my computer form Clover to OC, but did not see that boot option before my new MB install. I checked my EFI folder on my startup disk and see no traces of Clover anywhere... Does it even matter if I boot from my disk that only has OC EFI data on it?

Tried with all peripherals disconnected, no change. Also created an external disk with Mojave OS and 0.8.3 EFI folder, booted from that- no change when shutting down, the computer still turns on after 2 seconds.
Sorry for sounding like a noob, but isn't there a turn on switch on motherboards for testing purposes (although I read the manual for the Giga Designare MB and could not find it) that could be faulty and just keeps turning the unit on?
This motherboard does not have a power-on switch built-in, but we can buy standalone power-on switches such as this one:

I would also suggest re-flashing the BIOS. By the way, do you have Windows or Linux installed on this machine? If so, do those operating systems shut the system down properly?

Also, I noticed something strange. In my boot menu there is an EFI boot option that takes me to Welcome to Clover 5122 and then returns to boot menu? I migrated my computer form Clover to OC, but did not see that boot option before my new MB install. I checked my EFI folder on my startup disk and see no traces of Clover anywhere... Does it even matter if I boot from my disk that only has OC EFI data on it?
This should be okay. It just means there's another disk in the system that has Clover on it.

This motherboard does not have a power-on switch built-in, but we can buy standalone power-on switches such as this one:

I would also suggest re-flashing the BIOS. By the way, do you have Windows or Linux installed on this machine? If so, do those operating systems shut the system down properly?

This should be okay. It just means there's another disk in the system that has Clover on it.
No Windows or Linux on the machine. When you say re-flash BIOS, do you mean resetting CMOS or reinstalling BIOS with the same BIOS version?

Screen recordings are typically saved to desktop, but when you press CMD-Shift-5 you will see an Options pop-up where you can change the output location.

So select Options and see what the current output location is and, if necessary, change it to some other folder.

Regarding DRM content on the tv app in macOS Catalina, are you currently using a shikigva boot argument? And what system product name are you using (iMac19,1)? Refer to the chart at the top of this article on the WhateverGreen GitHub page.
I've tried saving to different locations (including an external drive with permissions ignored) without any luck.
I'm using iMac 19.1 for my SMBIOS and these boot args:
Code:
keepsyms=1 debug=0x100  alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxrpsc=1

Back