Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

EFI was messed up, better now. But BT after sleep still not fixed. Uses 200% CPU, and stops working.

BT is a bit weird, my BT mini-speaker works but my iPhone doesn't. Connects with some effort for maybe 3 seconds, the drops off again.

I see this:
Address: A4:5E:60:C4:8B:84

State: On

Chipset: BCM_20703A1

Discoverable: Off

Firmware Version: v169 c4825

Product ID: 0x0001

Supported Devices: 0x382039 < HFP AVRCP A2DP HID Braille AACP GATT Serial >

Transport: USB

Vendor ID: 0x004C (Apple)

What is wrong?

Help appreciated.

Hi @CaseySJ running into a problem when I try to restore. Thoughts? I am trying to restore the drive from my backup external drive. Followed instructions on erasing drive.
It seems disk0 is the internal Samsung disk and disk6 might be the Sabrent. The error message indicates a problem with disk6, which is strange.

I have not used the “Restore” function. I just create a new backup task, which in this case would be:
  • Source = Sabrent backup disk
  • Target = Samsung internal disk
That’s all we need to do. No need to worry about “EFIClone.sh” shell script. However, we need to select “Legacy Bootable Backup” on the Samsung target disk and then “Allow CCC to erase the drive” as explained in STEP 11 that I referenced earlier.

After the clone process is done, we just mount the EFI partitions of both disks and manually copy the EFI folder from Sabrent disk to Samsung disk.

Last edited:
It seems disk0 is the internal Samsung disk and disk6 might be the Sabrent. The error message indicates a problem with disk6, which is strange.

I have not used the “Restore” function. I just create a new backup task, which in this case would be:
  • Source = Sabrent backup disk
  • Target = Samsung internal disk
That’s all we need to do. No need to worry about “EFIClone.sh” shell script. However, we need to select “Legacy Bootable Backup” on the Samsung target disk and then “Allow CCC for erase the drive” as explained in STEP 11 that I referenced earlier.

After the clone process is done, we just mount the EFI partitions of both disks and manually copy the EFI folder from Sabrent disk to Samsung disk.
OK, a bit confused. I thought I was just using Disk Utility to erase then copy backup(restore) to disk?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 10.35.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 10.35.27 PM.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 19
OK, a bit confused. I thought I was just using Disk Utility to erase then copy backup(restore) to disk?
Disk Utility has to be used for the initial format, as explained in Step 11. This creates an EFI partition.

We also need to allow CCC to erase the destination disk, which is also mentioned in Step 11. This allows CCC to erase the APFS volume on the destination disk.

Hello everyone. I've had this basic configuration running 10.14.6 great on a studio workstation for a few years. I plan on getting a new boot disk going with OpenCore rather than Clover and a more modern version of the OS.

At this point, would Big Sur be a more stable option or is Monterey just as good?

I'm not interested in any new OS features. I just want to update my machine to be stable and compatible with the audio software I use for work. I'd like to lock it in and leave it be for the next few years like I did on Mojave. If the community here could help me settle on an OS version I will begin to dig deeper into this endless thread for information relevant to my config.

Hello everyone. I've had this basic configuration running 10.14.6 great on a studio workstation for a few years. I plan on getting a new boot disk going with OpenCore rather than Clover and a more modern version of the OS.
Good idea to use a new boot disk and, preferably, reinstalling the apps. Because Mojave supports 32-bit apps, but its successors do not, it is necessary to check that all apps and plug-ins we use are 64-bit compliant. One way of doing this is checking their websites for an explicit statement of compatibility with Big Sur and/or Monterey.

At this point, would Big Sur be a more stable option or is Monterey just as good?
If all apps and plug-ins are officially supported on Monterey, I would recommend that version. Big Sur is also a good option.

Good idea to use a new boot disk and, preferably, reinstalling the apps. Because Mojave supports 32-bit apps, but its successors do not, it is necessary to check that all apps and plug-ins we use are 64-bit compliant. One way of doing this is checking their websites for an explicit statement of compatibility with Big Sur and/or Monterey.

If all apps and plug-ins are officially supported on Monterey, I would recommend that version. Big Sur is also a good option.
Thanks. I'll give Monterey a shot.

I've updated or culled all 32bit apps from my work. Well, there are a couple minor exceptions but I'm going to have to move on.

Disk Utility has to be used for the initial format, as explained in Step 11. This creates an EFI partition.

We also need to allow CCC to erase the destination disk, which is also mentioned in Step 11. This allows CCC to erase the APFS volume on the destination disk.
OK @CaseySJ I got my backup restored to my internal drive and successfully booted. Per your earlier note, you requested a copy of my EFI before trying another upgrade to Monterey. (See attached). Serial Numbers removed.

Attachments

• EFI-JR.zip
    45.4 MB · Views: 47
Back