Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Which version of macOS are you upgrading from? Or is this a fresh install on an empty disk?

If you’re upgrading from an older version, there might be some third party drivers (kexts) that are not compatible with macOS.

Also, a copy of your config.plist with serial numbers removed would be helpful.
I am upgrading from Big Sur w/ OpenCore 0.8.3. Let me see about getting the config.plist

I am upgrading from Big Sur w/ OpenCore 0.8.3. Let me see about getting the config.plist
Does the same EFI folder boot Big Sur properly?

Does the same EFI folder boot Big Sur properly?
It seems to boot ok. I get to the login screen. However once I login i get this error with this new pop-up. To get to the config.plist, do I need to boot from my backup or is there another way to get this?

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
It seems to boot ok. I get to the login screen. However once I login i get this error with this new pop-up. To get to the config.plist, do I need to boot from my backup or is there another way to get this?
That’s a common error message and easy enough to remove. Before we worry about removing the error message, are you able to dismiss the error and log in fully?

That’s a common error message and easy enough to remove. Before we worry about removing the error message, are you able to dismiss the error and log in fully?
No, Once I log in, my machine becomes unresponsive. Keyboard/Mouse functions stop working.

No, Once I log in, my machine becomes unresponsive. Keyboard/Mouse functions stop working.
I see. The real issue is that the system freezes after logging in. The message "Your computer restarted because of a problem" is a different issue and not a significant one.

Because the upgrade process crashes and required a hard boot, it's very likely that we'll have to abandon this upgrade and start again.

This means:
  • Booting from the backup disk
  • Erasing the non-working disk (be very very careful in Disk Utility -- make sure the right disk is being erased):
    • Name: Any Name
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Then we'll need to clone the backup disk to the non-working disk (i.e. restoring from the backup disk to the original disk)
  • Then shutdown the system; safely remove and put away the backup disk; and boot the original disk again
  • Make sure everything is okay with Big Sur
Now if you'd like to start the upgrade to Monterey once again, please do this first:
  • Make a copy of the entire EFI folder
  • In the copy, remove serial numbers from config.plist (from PlatformInfo --> DataHub)
  • Compress and post that EFI folder so I can verify it

I see. The real issue is that the system freezes after logging in. The message "Your computer restarted because of a problem" is a different issue and not a significant one.

Because the upgrade process crashes and required a hard boot, it's very likely that we'll have to abandon this upgrade and start again.

This means:
  • Booting from the backup disk
  • Erasing the non-working disk (be very very careful in Disk Utility -- make sure the right disk is being erased):
    • Name: Any Name
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Then we'll need to clone the backup disk to the non-working disk (i.e. restoring from the backup disk to the original disk)
  • Then shutdown the system; safely remove and put away the backup disk; and boot the original disk again
  • Make sure everything is okay with Big Sur
Now if you'd like to start the upgrade to Monterey once again, please do this first:
  • Make a copy of the entire EFI folder
  • In the copy, remove serial numbers from config.plist (from PlatformInfo --> DataHub)
  • Compress and post that EFI folder so I can verify it
OK, great. Thanks for the information. I will get to this in a few hours. Thanks again Casey

Couple questions:
1. Should I use any specific procedure to delete and clone my backup disk to my internal disk? I am referring to the Carbon Cloner instructions in this thread?
2. Do I need to modify any names in the External Drive before cloning? (See attached)

Attachments

• Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 18
Couple questions:
1. Should I use any specific procedure to delete and clone my backup disk to my internal disk? I am referring to the Carbon Cloner instructions in this thread?
Simply use Disk Utility to erase the non-working internal drive. Any name can be given during the erase process. I would use a name that doesn’t contain macOS version name or number. Double check everything before erasing the drive. You have quite a few SSDs, so extreme care must be taken to select the one to erase.

2. Do I need to modify any names in the External Drive before cloning? (See attached)
The external drive contains the working backup, right? We definitely don’t want to change anything on that drive. That drive is the life saver. We want to copy the contents of the backup disk to the internal disk.

Yes, and there’s a link to the full repository in Section 8 of the spoiler in Post 1 labeled “Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides”.
Got the firmware flashed and working successfully, woo! Looks like the HackinDROM website is down, sadly. So I will have to wait for it to come back up for the DROM piece but thanks for your help!

Back