Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I had to reference which M.2 should be in the top slot and easily found the answer.
Thank you very much @CaseySJ for the amount of time and effort you put into these guides.
Keeping them up to date and amazingly structured.
I'm speechless, thank you

** OpenCore 0.8.3 Mini-Guide **
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link or excerpt instead.

Updated 11 Aug 2022 for 0.8.3 Release Version

macOS version supported:
  • Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura
Install Options:
  • The HackinDROM application can be used to install these EFI folders.
  • It is also possible to install the folders manually.
Manual Installation Procedure:
  • Use OpenCore Configurator 2.62.0.0 and set its preferences to 0.8.3 Release Version
  • Caution: When using OpenCore Configurator, ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted
  • Download the appropriate ZIP file attached below and make these changes to config.plist:
Inside the EFI/OC folder please choose one of these files and rename or copy it to config.plist:
  • config-AMD-GPU.plist
    • Choose this is you have an AMD GPU in the system
  • config-Intel-iGPU.plist
    • Choose this if you'd like to enable video output from the rear IO ports (Thunderbolt Ports 1 and 2, and HDMI port)
    • Even if you have AMD GPU, this file can be used
    • However, it's generally better to disable video output from iGPU if an AMD GPU is present, so config-AMD-GPU.plist would be preferred
  • After choosing one of these files and renaming or copying it to config.plist, edit the config.plist as shown:
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 4.05.18 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 4.40.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 4.07.30 PM.png

Procedure to Use Intel WiFi and Bluetooth:
  • Refer to this guide, but note the caveats at the top of that guide.
  • The same EFI folder below can be configured for Broadcom and Intel WiFi/BT.
  • This folder supports Intel WiFi and BT for Monterey and Ventura only.

Warning:
  • If using Radeon VII or Vega GPUs, remove boot argument "agdpmod=pikera"
  • SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext are disabled by default in order to prevent faulty Bluetooth on wake from sleep

Attachments

• OC-083-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
    44 MB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ, I wanted to thank you for the amazing work you do with your build guides. I have a question regarding the capsule Bios for this board. I stupidly decided to update to F9 without reading this guide and seeing that there may be some issues with it. I've been running this BIOS version with no real problems except for my USB-C/Thunderbolt ports not functioning like before. My build is pretty well developed, all USB ports are mapped, and I've been running it for a few years without issues and constant updates.

To Clarify Thunderbolt does work with hot-plug and everything. but those same ports will not accept USB-C devices anymore. I can still plug in USB-C through my case.

Is there any way I can revert back to F9i? Or is there any SSDT patching I can do to fix this?

Hey @CaseySJ, I wanted to thank you for the amazing work you do with your build guides. I have a question regarding the capsule Bios for this board. I stupidly decided to update to F9 without reading this guide and seeing that there may be some issues with it. I've been running this BIOS version with no real problems except for my USB-C/Thunderbolt ports not functioning like before. My build is pretty well developed, all USB ports are mapped, and I've been running it for a few years without issues and constant updates.

To Clarify Thunderbolt does work with hot-plug and everything. but those same ports will not accept USB-C devices anymore. I can still plug in USB-C through my case.

Is there any way I can revert back to F9i? Or is there any SSDT patching I can do to fix this?
Hello @rolotrealanis,

Fortunately there is a way to downgrade the BIOS. Please have a look at @gandem’s guide:

Hello @rolotrealanis,

Fortunately there is a way to downgrade the BIOS. Please have a look at @gandem’s guide:
Thanks, I Will definitely try this out; it seems straight forward. Is F9i still the best BIOS to flash, too? Or should I go down to whatever Gigabyte's last non capsule BIOS was and take it from there?

Thanks, I Will definitely try this out; it seems straight forward. Is F9i still the best BIOS to flash, too? Or should I go down to whatever Gigabyte's last non capsule BIOS was and take it from there?
F9i and F9g are the two recommended versions.

Wondering why the guide for the pre-release version. Are there any known issues going to macOS 12.5 on OC 0.8.2?
Because Ventura isn’t released yet as final, and you need 083 for Ventura (public beta as time of writing). 082 works fine with 12.5.

Here you can see validations of successful upgrades to 12.5 on oC 082.

Hello @rolotrealanis,

Just wanted to confirm for anyone else having this issue. the method worked. I flashed back to F9i and I got both my thunderbolt/usb-c ports working with no modifications to my EFI. so seems to be that the new capsule bios breaks USB-C definitely not a good idea to flash that.

If you see the Gigabyte splash screen and some text below that which mentions Del, F2 and F12 then pressing F12 repeatedly should open the BIOS boot menu. If your keyboard is acting up then the wrong key code might be going out.
Finally purchased a new keyboard, but by the time I recieved it the text at the bottom of the Gigabyte flash screen has disappeared. So now I cannot even enter the BIOS menu!

What 's the best option here?

Update... Ok, managed to get into BIOS boot menu. But still missing text (Del, F2 and F12 then pressing F12) below Gigabyte splash screen. Any reason for this?

Last edited:
Back