Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ. I was F9 before I decided to go with Mac OS. So it is not possible to revert it as you know. My problem is not Mac OS specific and I don't care USB 2.0 too much. But I really need USB 3.0, USB 3.1, USB 3.2 Type C devices to work on Thunderbolt 3 port (To boot from an external drive on Mac OS, to use as extra storage on windows). I set "Thunderbolt Usb Support" as enabled on BIOS but either in BIOS or in Windows-Mac OS it just does not work. I can't use my type C external drives anywhere if they are connected on Thunderbolt ports.

Do you know the reason and the solution? How could Gigabyte kill USB support on Thunderbolt 3 ports with BIOS update? If the reason is just the BIOS update, it is unacceptable if GIGABYTE limited the Thunderbolt ports to be used by only Thunderbolt devices.
I think there is a way to downgrade capsule BIOS but I think it’s not simple. Anyone?

As for a possible reason: a bug in the latest firmware revisions?

Hi @CaseySJ. I was F9 before I decided to go with Mac OS. So it is not possible to revert it as you know. My problem is not Mac OS specific and I don't care USB 2.0 too much. But I really need USB 3.0, USB 3.1, USB 3.2 Type C devices to work on Thunderbolt 3 port (To boot from an external drive on Mac OS, to use as extra storage on windows). I set "Thunderbolt Usb Support" as enabled on BIOS but either in BIOS or in Windows-Mac OS it just does not work. I can't use my type C external drives anywhere if they are connected on Thunderbolt ports.

Do you know the reason and the solution? How could Gigabyte kill USB support on Thunderbolt 3 ports with BIOS update? If the reason is just the BIOS update, it is unacceptable if GIGABYTE limited the Thunderbolt ports to be used by only Thunderbolt devices.
Please see the spoiler labeled Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides at the top of Post 1. In Section 7, the first sub-bullet is a link to the BIOS downgrade procedure.

Please see the spoiler labeled Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides at the top of Post 1. In Section 7, the first sub-bullet is a link to the BIOS downgrade procedure.
FYI- I just updated the original link, seems like the site changed formatting so it got buried.

HackinDROM feature request: When creating or updating an EFI, the ResetNVRAM tool is restored.
This requires a structural change to the EFI folder. When OC 0.8.2 is released I’ll post a new EFI folder that includes this change in addition to ToggleSipEntry.efi. After that, HackinDROM will be able to preserve that change.

Hello @phrfpeixoto,

Because you're on Big Sur and OpenCore, you are in a good position. The process is:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Big Sur (including the EFI partition). Trust me, you don't want to skip this step!
  • Then upgrade to OpenCore 0.7.8 or newer.
  • Finally perform an in-place upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey from System Preferences --> Software Update.
Hi @CaseySJ Was just going to ask this very same thing. However, one caveat, if I want to change out my SSD to avoid the TRIM issue I will have with my Samsung 970's, what process to you recommend to migrate to new NMV? Restore using Carbon Copy Cloner? Thanks!

Hi @CaseySJ Was just going to ask this very same thing. However, one caveat, if I want to change out my SSD to avoid the TRIM issue I will have with my Samsung 970's, what process to you recommend to migrate to new NMV? Restore using Carbon Copy Cloner? Thanks!
What I did: I copied my SSD with Mojave to a new NVME SSD with CCC. Then copied the EFI(OC) partition to the new SSD. Then upgraded OC on the new NVME. Then just upgraded the new SSD to Big Sur/Monterey/what have you.

If something goes wrong, you still have a perfect working copy of your previous install.

Hi @CaseySJ I managed to update to 0.81 but I noticed something different in this version. When we press the spacebar, there is no more option to reset nv-ram... you know what the problem is, thanks for your support always.

Last edited:
Hello @CaseySJ a doubt, I see that the last EFI that we have available is 0.80 that I can download and I updated last month, is 0.81 already available for download? Because on the page it stopped at 0.80 and even at hackdown .. it also says no update. And you comment on fixes that should only come in 0.82. And then 0.81 is it available or not? Thanks for your support always.
Hello @Rag,

HackinDROM can auto-update OpenCore EFI folders to latest officially released version of OpenCore. Because the latest official release is 0.8.1, it's possible to update your system by following this mini-guide from the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1:

Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 11.35.57 AM.png

Reactions: Rag
Hi!
I need a bit of help here!
I disassembled my computer entirely (for cleaning, it was covered in dust) and not my Hackintosh won't boot.
Hitting ctrl+v while booting shows this
tempImageDp2Pm5.jpg

I was using Currently on 0.7.4.
Running BigSur (not the latest, but I can't remember exactly what version)
Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: It seems my BIOS settings were cleared. I tried reconfiguring it as so:
  • Press F2 to toggle to Advanced Mode.
  • Press F7 to Load Optimized Defaults.
Now make the following settings:
  • Tweaker
    • Advanced CPU Settings → VT-d → Disabled → Update: This can be Enabled if using OpenCore
    • Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) → Profile 1
  • Settings
    • Internal Graphics → Enabled
    • Above 4G Decoding → Enabled
    • Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
      • Security Level → No Security
        This will trigger a 'Save & Exit' dialog so press ESC to close the dialog.
      • Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
        • Thunderbolt USB Support → Enabled
        • GPIO3 Force Pwr → Enabled
    • USB Configuration
      • XHCI Handoff → Enabled
  • Boot
    • Windows 8/10 Features → Other OS
    • CSM Support → Disabled
      Some devices such as GPUs may require CSM Support to be enabled. There is no harm in setting this to either Enabled or Disabled. Use the setting that works best.
  • Save & Exit → Save Profiles → Save to Profile 1
    This preserves the firmware settings for easy recovery.

The problem is still here, though.

EDIT 2: I realized I had a saved profile in my BIOS setup. Loaded it back and the system booted!!
\o/

Last edited:
Back