Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please see the mini-guide below, which is for Big Sur, but applies to Monterey as well (just mentally replace all references to Big Sur with Monterey):
Post 1 provides BIOS settings. We recommend F9g and F9i. However, it should be possible to install macOS with BIOS F9, but Thunderbolt ports may not hot-plug.
Dear Casey, I already have a working OpenCore 075. However, I see that you have an OpenCore EFI folder made especially for Designare board with all kexts and drivers. I managed to install with Monterey without your guide, It is working ok-ish. However, I have some issues with USB mapping. Only 2.0 ports are working, and I am dissapointed because I want USB 3 type. Can I use your EFI folder? I just have to rename config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist? I don't have IGPU my chip 9900KF has no internal GPU. Should I tweak something in config.plist? I should mount EFI directly into my Moterey (with mountEFI app) and that is all I need to do? Or I should genarete my own kext, drivers SMBIOS rename and so on? I am new on OpenCore and a lot of guides on youtube are in spanish.:banghead:

Dear Casey, I already have a working OpenCore 075. However, I see that you have an OpenCore EFI folder made especially for Designare board with all kexts and drivers. I managed to install with Monterey without your guide, It is working ok-ish. However, I have some issues with USB mapping. Only 2.0 ports are working, and I am dissapointed because I want USB 3 type. Can I use your EFI folder? I just have to rename config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist? I don't have IGPU my chip 9900KF has no internal GPU. Should I tweak something in config.plist? I should mount EFI directly into my Moterey (with mountEFI app) and that is all I need to do? Or I should genarete my own kext, drivers SMBIOS rename and so on? I am new on OpenCore and a lot of guides on youtube are in spanish.:banghead:
Hello @danielurdea

You can use the OC 0.7.8 EFI folder from the mini-guide referred to in the spoiler “Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides” at the top of Post 1. That guide has instructions for using that EFI folder.

Because you have an AMD GPU it’s necessary to using “config-AMD-GPU.plist”. Rename the file and copy your serial numbers into “PlatformInfo —> DataHub” section as explained also in the mini-guide.

Please see the mini-guide below, which is for Big Sur, but applies to Monterey as well (just mentally replace all references to Big Sur with Monterey):
Post 1 provides BIOS settings. We recommend F9g and F9i. However, it should be possible to install macOS with BIOS F9, but Thunderbolt ports may not hot-plug.
Hello again helpful @CaseySJ ! Miraculously Hackindrom-generated EFI solved the problem ! Thank you ! I haven't checked all the features yet but one is very obvious. 4k 144HZ monitor works as 95 hz. Is there a workaround for DSC or is it completely fault of Mac OS?
Edit:
Thunderbolt ports says driver is missing on "about this mac"
Airdrop, continuity, handoff, sidecar, universal control not working. ( Are they even possible to work? )
Apple TV app not working, looks like a DRM issue.
After a long idle time (enough to disconnect bluetooth devices) reconnecting uses incredible cpu and getting unresponsive, I killed a bluetooth process in activity monitor and keyboard connection problem is fixed. But I think there is a problem with bluetooth. It will probably repeat when idle.

Last edited:
Hello again helpful @CaseySJ ! Miraculously Hackindrom-generated EFI solved the problem ! Thank you ! I haven't checked all the features yet but one is very obvious
Glad to hear it!

. 4k 144HZ monitor works as 95 hz. Is there a workaround for DSC or is it completely fault of Mac OS?
If you’re getting 95Hz consider yourself lucky! Remember this is a Hackintosh. We must set reasonable expectations. Nevertheless, try downloading and using “SwitchResX”. It may or may not work.

Edit:
Thunderbolt ports says driver is missing on "about this mac"
Perfectly normal. Unless we flash the Thunderbolt firmware with an external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer, this will always say “No drivers are loaded”. Simply ignore that. Connect a Thunderbolt device and see if it actually works.

Airdrop, continuity, handoff, sidecar, universal control not working. ( Are they even possible to work? )
Yes these are all possible but ONLY with a Fenvi FV-T919 or similar Broadcom-based WiFi/BT module.

Apple TV app not working, looks like a DRM issue.
Apple changed the way DRM is handled. Only way to use DRM protected content in Apple’s apps is to change system product name to either iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 — but this also requires enabling “RestrictEvents.kext” in the Kernel section of config.plist.

After a long idle time (enough to disconnect bluetooth devices) reconnecting uses incredible cpu and getting unresponsive, I killed a bluetooth process in activity monitor and keyboard connection problem is fixed. But I think there is a problem with bluetooth. It will probably repeat when idle.
Intel Bluetooth will absolutely not work in Monterey. If you’re using Broadcom Bluetooth, what is the make and model of your WiFi/BT card or module?

Glad to hear it!

If you’re getting 95Hz consider yourself lucky! Remember this is a Hackintosh. We must set reasonable expectations. Nevertheless, try downloading and using “SwitchResX”. It may or may not work.

Perfectly normal. Unless we flash the Thunderbolt firmware with an external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer, this will always say “No drivers are loaded”. Simply ignore that. Connect a Thunderbolt device and see if it actually works.

Yes these are all possible but ONLY with a Fenvi FV-T919 or similar Broadcom-based WiFi/BT module.

Apple changed the way DRM is handled. Only way to use DRM protected content in Apple’s apps is to change system product name to either iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 — but this also requires enabling “RestrictEvents.kext” in the Kernel section of config.plist.

Intel Bluetooth will absolutely not work in Monterey. If you’re using Broadcom Bluetooth, what is the make and model of your WiFi/BT card or module?
I'm using Intel Bluetooth for now. Maybe I could buy a Fenvi FV-T919. Thanks for the detailed answers. Wish you the best!

FV-HB1200 seems a lot cheaper than FV-T919. Is there any downsides?

Last edited:
I'm using intel bluetooth for now. Maybe i could buy a Fenvi FV-T919. Thanks for the detailed answers. Wish you the best!

FV-HB1200 seems a lot cheaper than FV-T919. Is there any downsides?
The FV-HB1200 is also a very good choice.

Hi @CaseySJ ,

I just spent half a day to figure out what the best settings for an up to date Open Core machine might be in terms of iGPU. I think I want to deactivate my iGPU as I think it might be causing trouble in Davinci Resolve. My current config.plist reads:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>AwCYPg==</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Display controller</string>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel UHD Graphics 630</string>
</dict>

Is this the right setting? Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Hi @CaseySJ ,

I just spent half a day to figure out what the best settings for an up to date Open Core machine might be in terms of iGPU. I think I want to deactivate my iGPU as I think it might be causing trouble in Davinci Resolve. My current config.plist reads:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>AwCYPg==</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Display controller</string>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel UHD Graphics 630</string>
</dict>

Is this the right setting? Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you!!!
remove that and disable your igpu in your bios

Hello!

I just purchased a mini little LCD monitor and it has HDMI and USB-C inputs. HDMI works, but I'm having trouble getting the USB-C input to work. I've tried different cables, etc.

Is there anything special we need to do to get USB-C signal output from the 2x TB3 ports on the back of the Z390? I didn't set anything up for it and was hoping it would just work. I've been trying to search this thread but it's hard to search. Here's the monitor I purchased:

EDIT:

I managed to find this post by Casey that gave me the solution. I connected a DP cable from my AMD GPU into the DP input on the designaire and now the top TB port is giving me video signal :).

Last edited:
Hello @danielurdea

You can use the OC 0.7.8 EFI folder from the mini-guide referred to in the spoiler “Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides” at the top of Post 1. That guide has instructions for using that EFI folder.

Because you have an AMD GPU it’s necessary to using “config-AMD-GPU.plist”. Rename the file and copy your serial numbers into “PlatformInfo —> DataHub” section as explained also in the mini-guide.
Thank you @CaseySJ , unfortunatley I used 078 EFI from your mini guide without succes, I changed the setting from config.plist using Hackingtool for all 4 value that needed to be changed, I mounted yor modified Efo folder in a mounted USB stick, Canopy is launching this opencore install but I am stuck at apple logo, no metter what EFI folder I choose... fail on logo, you have two versions in the guide. I have AMD Radeon VII graphic card and I removed agpmod=pikera as was suggested in the guide but no luck so far. So I was forced to skip the opencore change. I thought that my Bios F9J is the cause for my USB3 not working but I am not sure, all kext failed to start my USB3 ports so I tried to flash BIOS and downgraded it to F9i but jumper short reset it to F9J!!! not F4 or some other old Bios that was initailly on my board. I tried USB tool, USbinjectall, 071 or 076 versions, all without succes, I mapped my usb ports in windows but it seems that i did it wrong. If I solve my usb problems I will leave it as it is. USB port have a weird behavour, on and off without an action from me. I do not want to put Windows back:problem:.

Attachments

• usb2jpg.jpg
    usb2jpg.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 35
Back