Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I can't find any solution to hack OpenCore to use a monitor at 144Hz. The funny thing is that I can't even refresh it and go back to normal at 60Hz, so now the monitor is useless. :cry:

If you didn't already figure it out, shut down the computer and disconnect the "less fancy" monitor from the GPU.

FWIW, this can also depend on the monitor and the GPU. If you have a second monitor connected, the GPU-supporting OS will pull-down the refresh rate so that you don't have a screen blackout. If you are running two or more monitors, it's best to sync them to a "common" rate like 60Hz or 100Hz, rather than one monitor at 144Hz and the other at 100Hz . This is avoid the more noticeable strobe effect of 44Hz between the two. YMMV...

Attachments

• Plate 1.png
    Plate 1.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 41
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded to open core and went from Catalina to Montery 12.4. Unfortunately in the process I updated by bios to f9 on my Designare board. I recently read that this can screw up the Thunderbolt. I've been fighting with this for a couple days. I've got the thunderbolt showing in the system profile and I can see it in IOREG.

I'm testing it with a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter going to a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.
I was using this same setup on Catalina and it worked great. Now I can't get the Thunderbolt ports to be active. They look (to me at least) like they should work but nothing passes.

I'm far from an expert at this so any insight would be much appreciated!!

Attachments

• IOREG.png
    IOREG.png
    264.5 KB · Views: 46
  • System Profile.png
    System Profile.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 45
I actually solved the problem thanks to the AppleVTD fix on this page!

Just a FYI for anyone in the same boat that stumbles across this!

I actually solved the problem thanks to the AppleVTD fix on this page!

Just a FYI for anyone in the same boat that stumbles across this!
one of the best guides here :)

In your guide, you mention there may be gpu performance issues in 12.3. I just updated from 12.1 to 12.4 I updated OC using HackinDROM. Are there still issues in 12.4? How does one test GPU performance on a Hackintosh?

In your guide, you mention there may be gpu performance issues in 12.3. I just updated from 12.1 to 12.4 I updated OC using HackinDROM. Are there still issues in 12.4? How does one test GPU performance on a Hackintosh?
There were GPU glitches and speed issues in 12.3, but they were fixed in 12.3.1. Although there are benchmarks (see “Benchmarks” in Post 1), they don’t necessarily relate to real world application performance. So the best benchmark is the one we can measure ourselves by timing our own workflows.

I just upgraded from macOS BigSur 11.6.0 to Monterey 12.4.0, and things seem mostly okay, except the top Ethernet port isn't working. I'm fine just using the bottom one, but figured I should share everything in case the info is useful at all.

I'm on BIOS F9g.

I was on OC 0.7.3 and went to OC 0.8.0 following this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2318208 using HackinDrom v2.1.1.

Before updating macOS, I added `SmallTree-Intel-211-8259x.kext` using OpenCore Configurator 2.61.0.0, and edited the kernel section as instructed.

The upgrade took about 35 minutes. Ten minutes for the first preparation part before the first reboot, then about eight minutes for after the first reboot then another six minutes for the second. Then things went slightly wrong.

The next two restarts in a row gave me the "your computer was restarted because of a problem, press a key to reboot" black screen. However, before the third time, I hit space in the Open Core boot picker, and cleared the NVRAM figuring that something was saved in there telling it to pop up that screen. After that, it then fully booted into macOS with several warnings that it was restarted because a problem. However, this time just normal dialog boxes that I dismissed.

I tried running some things in the terminal, like git and neovim, but was getting strange errors that I didn't write down. I then noticed that networking wasn't working. I did one full restart. Networking still wasn't working, so moved the Ethernet cord from the top most jack to the one below, and then networking is working again.

I then updated xcode (this took an annoyingly long time), updated all my homebrew packages, and everything seems good as far as I can tell.

The boot time is much longer. I saw that this is because of the Samsung NVMe drives, TRIM doesn't work in Monterey anymore. The recommended backup, wipe, and restore seems a bit much. Is there any hope of TRIM becoming supported again, or will this be the only way?

I just upgraded from macOS BigSur 11.6.0 to Monterey 12.4.0, and things seem mostly okay, except the top Ethernet port isn't working. I'm fine just using the bottom one, but figured I should share everything in case the info is useful at all.

I'm on BIOS F9g.

I was on OC 0.7.3 and went to OC 0.8.0 following this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2318208 using HackinDrom v2.1.1.

Before updating macOS, I added `SmallTree-Intel-211-8259x.kext` using OpenCore Configurator 2.61.0.0, and edited the kernel section as instructed.
Hello @willl,

In many cases the SmallTree-Intel-211-8259x.kext is not needed in Monterey. Apple provides native support for this network controller, but we may need to enable AppleVTD. To check if it is enabled, please refer to this procedure in the Quick Reference spoiler located at the top of Post 1:

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 12.39.46 PM.png

The boot time is much longer. I saw that this is because of the Samsung NVMe drives, TRIM doesn't work in Monterey anymore. The recommended backup, wipe, and restore seems a bit much. Is there any hope of TRIM becoming supported again, or will this be the only way?
In OpenCore 0.8.0 we should be able to set SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0 instead of -1. Please see if that helps:
Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 12.41.36 PM.png

Last edited:
Hello @willl,

In many cases the SmallTree-Intel-211-8259x.kext is not needed in Monterey. Apple provides native support for this network controller, but we do need to enable AppleVTD. To check if it is enabled, please refer to this procedure in the Quick Reference spoiler located at the top of Post 1:

I just followed the mentioned spoiler for enabling AppleVTD, but I lost my network connections including WIFI? This method doesn't work for Big Sur 11.6.2? Using OC 0.8.

I just followed the mentioned spoiler for enabling AppleVTD, but I lost my network connections including WIFI? This method doesn't work for Big Sur 11.6.2? Using OC 0.8.
The SmallTreeIntel kext is necessary in Big Sur. It is only Monterey that supports it natively.

Back