Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I upgraded my spare SSD to 12.4 & OC 0.8.0. Smalltree ethernet driver doesn't work, I knew that, so I removed it. Apple driver kicked in after a reboot, port worked once. But after getting rid of some OC warnings, this port kernel panics and even kills my WIFI and/or router...

What am I missing?
I'm currently using the Z390 Designare with Monterey 12.3 and no SmallTreeIntel driver. Everything continues to run properly. The port connects every time, whether rebooting or hot-connecting/disconnecting the Ethernet cable.

Last edited:
By the way, I want to confirm that ASRock z390 hackinDROM uses
“ External (_SB_. PCI0. RP05, DeviceObj)
External (_SB_. PCI0. RP05. PXSX, DeviceObj) ”
can make JHL6540 work properly?
Please run IORegistryExplorer, then scroll (not search) down to RP05 section and post a screenshot.

By the way, I want to confirm that ASRock z390 hackinDROM uses
“ External (_SB_. PCI0. RP05, DeviceObj)
External (_SB_. PCI0. RP05. PXSX, DeviceObj) ”
can make JHL6540 work properly?
You should be able to post a screen shot of the PCI section IOExplorerRegistry shows for confirmation. Otherwise I think someone else would need to have that same board to be able to help.

EDIT: What Casey says

I'm currently using the Z390 Designare with Monterey 12.3 and no SmallTreeIntel driver. Everything continue to run properly. The port connects every time, whether rebooting or hot-connecting/disconnecting the Ethernet cable.
Right. I wonder why it doesn't work on my Hack with 12.4...

Please run IORegistryExplorer, then scroll (not search) down to RP05 section and post a screenshot.
Hi,CaseySJ
1.I re-flashed the firmware “ASROCK_Z390_ITX_NVM20_MOD-Elias64Fr.bin” with CH341A (BIOS 4.40c)
2.Reset the BIOS,But when I press F10 to save BIOS settings, It is crashed(Is this normal?),and then after restarting to view the BIOS, it looks like it has been saved
BIOS settings:
IMG_6759.jpg

3.I downloaded the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml file on the https://hackindrom.zapto.org/ website by clicking the download button without making any changes
uTools_1653204496391.png

4.Together with the SSDT-DTPG.aml file, it was placed in the OC's ACPI directory and loaded correctly

uTools_1653204738501.png

5.Run IORegistryExplorer, then scroll(not search) down to AppleACPIPCI,There is no RP05 , but there is RP21

uTools_1653205115342.png
6.The complete IORegistry Explorer file is in the attachment
THANKS!!CaseySJ

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer file.ioreg
    24 MB · Views: 29
Hi,CaseySJ
1.I re-flashed the firmware “ASROCK_Z390_ITX_NVM20_MOD-Elias64Fr.bin” with CH341A (BIOS 4.40c)
2.Reset the BIOS,But when I press F10 to save BIOS settings, It is crashed(Is this normal?),and then after restarting to view the BIOS, it looks like it has been saved
BIOS settings:
View attachment 548124
3.I downloaded the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml file on the https://hackindrom.zapto.org/ website by clicking the download button without making any changes
View attachment 548126
4.Together with the SSDT-DTPG.aml file, it was placed in the OC's ACPI directory and loaded correctly

View attachment 548125
5.Run IORegistryExplorer, then scroll(not search) down to AppleACPIPCI,There is no RP05 , but there is RP21

View attachment 548127
6.The complete IORegistry Explorer file is in the attachment
THANKS!!CaseySJ
In the Thunderbolt SSDT we need to perform a search and replace:
  • Search for RP05
  • Replace with RP21
Then save the file as .aml (in EFI/OC/ACPI folder) and reboot. When macOS starts, please post screenshot of RP21 section from IORegistryExplorer.

In the Thunderbolt SSDT we need to perform a search and replace:
  • Search for RP05
  • Replace with RP21
Then save the file as .aml (in EFI/OC/ACPI folder) and reboot. When macOS starts, please post screenshot of RP21 section from IORegistryExplorer.
I have replaced rp05 with rp21, there are eight of them, and now the usb devices is recognizable and works well, but the thunderbolt3 devices is still not found.
The thunderbolt3 port rate is recognized as 40Gb/s
The new IORegistry Explorer file is in the attachment
uTools_1653234380504.pnguTools_1653233726303.pnguTools_1653234100243.png

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer Replace with RP21.ioreg
    24.1 MB · Views: 23
I have replaced rp05 with rp21, there are eight of them, and now the usb devices is recognizable and works well, but the thunderbolt3 devices is still not found.
The thunderbolt3 port rate is recognized as 40Gb/s
The new IORegistry Explorer file is in the attachment
Which Thunderbolt device(s) are you trying to connect?

Which Thunderbolt device(s) are you trying to connect?
Macbook pro,it works well with gigabyte designare z390.
I can't go home because of the coronavirus pandemic, and I only have this thunderbolt device around, and connecting the MacBook Pro and other Apple devices is also important to me.

Hello there, @CaseySJ; I wonder if I can connect another monitor to my platform. As you might know, I am using your build running Catalina with a Radeon RX 560 4 GB equipped with one Dual-link DVI-D, one DP, and one HDMI port; the card can support 3 displays. I know this is possible on windows, but can I do it on Mac? Cheers

Back