Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I upload a new small clip to see again what happens after the log in password....black screen appears first then the desktop wallpaper flashes.
Don't mind the folders on the desktop. It is a fresh new install i put them there after the installation from a backup external disk.
The ssd trim helped a bit at the boot time but not at the log in delay (30sec with Trim On--15sec with Trim Off) Is it ok to leave trim off just for the 15sec sake or it makes the disk generally slower and should keep it on? 15sec more is not a dealbreaker.
does this happen on a clean installation?

does this happen on a clean installation?
Yes. It seems very strange to me.
I have an older installation of Big Sur with OC on another hard disk and i checked it and does the same.
Maybe it is just how it is supposed to boot?is it normal?

Yes. It seems very strange to me.
I have an older installation of Big Sur with OC on another hard disk and i checked it and does the same.
Maybe it is just how it is supposed to boot?is it normal?
I haven't seen anything like that before

do you have some software that loads on start up? check under login items under users

I haven't seen anything like that before

do you have some software that loads on start up? check under login items under users
The Login Items list is empty.
I have installed Adobe Creative Cloud and set to launch on login.I removed the launch setting,restarted but nothing changed.

The Login Items list is empty.
I have installed Adobe Creative Cloud and set to launch on login.I removed the launch setting,restarted but nothing changed.
Turn off Location Services and restart.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 10.32.22 AM.png

Just for my curiosity. What is the fastest and most powerful chip we can use with the Designare Z390?

I am rocking the i9 9900 ks currently, and I am guessing that is the top end but I could use a little extra CPU power from time to time.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ and @NorthAmTransAm I'm checking in on using/ flashing an Asus ThunderboltEX 3 and or the EX 3-TR model. I found the repository with the firmware here and have read about that and also reviewed the section on programming the winbond chip.

I've started searching the thread for more posts that talk about either model but this is the mother load of information here, there is a lot to sort through. I'm hoping one of you can answer if one of the cards is a better choice, I'm not entirely sure the 3-TR is usable. I've got both cards and I'd prefer to use the four port TR model unless that's a poor choice.
Any wisdom or insight on any of this process would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

EDIT: I had to clean up some typos. After going farther into the repository post it looks like both cards are viable. I did read "If System Information --> Thunderbolt says No drivers are loaded, then this does not apply to you." and am wondering what that means. Flashing is not possible or not needed?

Last edited:
@Leesureone

I am most familiar with Gigabyte’s GC-Titan Ridge and GC-Alpine Ridge. However, as I recall, a flashed Asus Titan Ridge card (ThunderboltEX 3-TR) works best on an Asus motherboard with a compatible Thunderbolt header.

But I need to defer to @NorthAmTransAm on this.

@CaseySJ and @NorthAmTransAm I'm checking in on using/ flashing an Asus ThunderboltEX 3 and or the EX 3-TR model. I found the repository with the firmware here and have read about that and also reviewed the section on programming the winbond chip.

I've started searching the thread for more posts that talk about either model but this is the mother load of information here, there is a lot to sort through. I'm hoping one of you can answer if one of the cards is a better choice, I'm not entirely sure the 3-TR is usable. I've got both cards and I'd prefer to use the four port TR model unless that's a poor choice.
Any wisdom or insight on any of this process would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

EDIT: I had to clean up some typos. After going farther into the repository post it looks like both cards are viable. I did read "If System Information --> Thunderbolt says No drivers are loaded, then this does not apply to you." and am wondering what that means. Flashing is not possible or not needed?
On the Z370 board the EX3 was a dream. Required no flashing and gave us a full thunderbolt bus. The EX3 on the Z690 was nothing but trouble and I never got anything to connect. I could be wrong but this card did not appreciate being jumpered or headerless.

I can't speak to the TR but I've read some success here and there.

The GC-Titan 2.0 is simply the best way to go. Man, I love this card. I believe I'm using NVM33 (typically for onboard).

Sketchy Pro-Tip: If your SOC Clip gives you trouble consider sanding it down a little bit so the pins have a lower access on the chip.

Back