Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I know, but I figured the file from Gigabyte was safe (I used the orginal .BIN they sent me). On this machine Thunderbolt is not make or break for me, but on the other two it is.
Have you tested the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub in macOS? Or perhaps you put off the purchase until NVM67 could be installed...

Have you tested the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub in macOS? Or perhaps you put off the purchase until NVM67 could be installed...
After playing around with Hackintosh for a few years I bought a Mac Mini M1, which is a great little PC. The hub work fine with that, although the M1 is not the best with Thunderbolt stuff (have a great EGPU just sitting unused right now). For layout reasons I use the element on main work Windows PC, it supports USB 3, TB3 and TB 4 and USB 4. Right now it is running in USB 3 mode so the TB ports are just USB 3C ports but would like to get it running at full speed eventually.

Bit stuck - can anyone call out what I am doing wrong?

Have been running on this build for well over a year with no issues. Currently on Big Sur 11.4.
  1. Completed a full bootable backup using the guide and CCC to a USB SSD. Tucked it away somewhere safe.
  2. Completed a second full clone on another USB SSD - aim to test an upgrade to Montery.
  3. Using the guide I mounted the EFI on this drive using Hackindrom and updated OC to 0.7.8 with all the Kexts.
  4. Initiated upgrade to Montery via App Store - after first part of install it says it will restart.
  5. Selected boot loader F12 - booted from external SSD - selected HD Macintosh drive to continue install but just stuck in constant boot loop. Then get a OCB Startup image Failed.
Any suggestions?
I just wanted to test Montery on a clone of my Big Sur to check the upgrade went well without breaking my working system.... is this even possible?
Thanks!

Bit stuck - can anyone call out what I am doing wrong?

Have been running on this build for well over a year with no issues. Currently on Big Sur 11.4.
  1. Completed a full bootable backup using the guide and CCC to a USB SSD. Tucked it away somewhere safe.
  2. Completed a second full clone on another USB SSD - aim to test an upgrade to Montery.
  3. Using the guide I mounted the EFI on this drive using Hackindrom and updated OC to 0.7.8 with all the Kexts.
  4. Initiated upgrade to Montery via App Store - after first part of install it says it will restart.
  5. Selected boot loader F12 - booted from external SSD - selected HD Macintosh drive to continue install but just stuck in constant boot loop. Then get a OCB Startup image Failed.
Any suggestions?
I just wanted to test Montery on a clone of my Big Sur to check the upgrade went well without breaking my working system.... is this even possible?
Thanks!
One initial suggestion is to check if SecureBootModel in config.plist is set to Disabled. We should set it to Disabled during installation; we can change it back to Default afterwards.

P.S. Thank you for using bullet lists. 100 brownie points!

One initial suggestion is to check if SecureBootModel in config.plist is set to Disabled. We should set it to Disabled during installation; we can change it back to Default afterwards.

P.S. Thank you for using bullet lists. 100 brownie points!
I've been curious about SecureBootModel. Are there benefits to leaving it Default/Enabled? I just thought it looked cool :)

This is interesting. I just checked my config file: SecureBootModel has been set to Default the whole time. I've had no startup problems with OC 080. Filevault was enabled on Big Sur and now Monterey, if that makes any difference.

I believe my statement about SecureBootModel is being taken out of context. We should keep this enabled during normal operation. In some cases, however, we need to disable it when installing macOS.

Rule of thumb:
  • If macOS installer reboots or crashes during installation, try disabling SecureBootModel
  • Other factors can also cause macOS installer to reboot or crash, so SecureBootModel is just one of the first things to try when this happens

I believe my statement about SecureBootModel is being taken out of context. We should keep this enabled during normal operation. In some cases, however, we need to disable it when installing macOS.

Rule of thumb:
  • If macOS installer reboots or crashes during installation, try disabling SecureBootModel
  • Other factors can also cause macOS installer to reboot or crash, so SecureBootModel is just one of the first things to try when this happens
Oh just general curiousness. I dont want to advise anyone the wrong way down the line. Party on!

Back