Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Great, I have the Pomina already waiting for the Noyito CH341A, should be here today...
Did the update last night. Seemed to go smoothly, but Windows is throwing a fit. Says "device instance not migrated from prior O/S." Going to dig into this a while and see what I can figure out. Can always flash back to prior version.

(I have 3 Z390 Designares so I can have one down for a while to learn how to make this work)

Did the update last night. Seemed to go smoothly, but Windows is throwing a fit. Says "device instance not migrated from prior O/S." Going to dig into this a while and see what I can figure out. Can always flash back to prior version.

(I have 3 Z390 Designares so I can have one down for a while to learn how to make this work)
A flashed Thunderbolt firmware is known to cause problems in Windows and possibly Linux. We state this warning at the top of the Thunderbolt Repository.

I know, but I figured the file from Gigabyte was safe (I used the orginal .BIN they sent me). On this machine Thunderbolt is not make or break for me, but on the other two it is.

I know, but I figured the file from Gigabyte was safe (I used the orginal .BIN they sent me). On this machine Thunderbolt is not make or break for me, but on the other two it is.
The original file they sent you is very likely safe. But the 4 bytes I modified "voids the warranty" so to speak! :)

The original file they sent you is very likely safe. But the 4 bytes I modified "voids the warranty" so to speak! :)
Can I use the umodified file to update my FW firmware in Win10? This didn't work? A bad idea? My TB is currently not completely stable so I was thinking of redoing the TB FW anyway.

@CaseySJ, NVM 67 -> all working in my rig. Same like others NVM's before, some problems with sleep when I connect display trough TB. What SSDT do you use? Me, the Hackintool one. Any differences? Ah, I forgot: I have Titan Ridge V.1.

Update:
For z690 Aorus Master owners or maybe similar Gigabyte 3 PCI slots owners: never use Slot-3 for TB card. Always 2-nd slot. Third slot bring among others problems, sleep-wake issue.
@CaseySJ like I said before, NVM 67 work like a dream. The only thing who doesn't work is sleep if I have display connected to TB card video output. None of the NVM modified firmware allow sleep in this situation. When I'll have TB4 device I'll report if it is working.

Last edited:
Can I use the umodified file to update my FW firmware in Win10? This didn't work? A bad idea? My TB is currently not completely stable so I was thinking of redoing the TB FW anyway.
If you'd like to flash the unmodified NVM67 with a CH341a external programmer, please use the attached image. We cannot use Windows to install NVM67 because Gigabyte did not digitally sign the file.

Attachments

• Z390-DESIGNARE-NVM67-UNMODIFIED.bin.zip
    280.1 KB · Views: 50
@CaseySJ, NVM 67 -> all working in my rig. Same like others NVM's before, some problems with sleep when I connect display trough TB. What SSDT do you use. Me, the Hackintool one. Any differences? Ah, I forgot: I have Titan Ridge V.1.
Do you have any Thunderbolt 4 devices?

Try disabling both of the following, then reboot:
  • config.plist --> ACPI --> SSDT-USBW.aml
  • config.plist --> Kernel --> USBWakeFixup.kext
Appears to be fixed!

As always, THANK YOU!

Back