Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Anybody else having a lot of Big Sur KP shutdowns?

Can I just use the existing Z390 OC 079 EFI and go back to Mojave or High Sierra with a 19,1 setup? Or do I need to spoofify a mP 6,1?

Now that you mention it, I did have occasional KP shutdowns in Big Sur.

If I recall correctly, the computer didn't just shut down; the mouse would freeze, and usually I'd have to force shut down. I think at least once, probably more than that, it did shut down on its own after the freeze.

They were annoyingly frequent, maybe once a week or so, but not so much that I stopped to investigate, aside from maybe once or twice glancing at a crash report that I didn't understand.

I forgot about it because I don't think I've had a single kernel panic since upgrading to Monterey about three weeks ago. (fingers crossed)

I'm on Monterey 12.3.1 and OC 0.7.9.

Last edited:

Can I just use the existing Z390 OC 079 EFI and go back to Mojave or High Sierra with a 19,1 setup? Or do I need to spoofify a mP 6,1?
My Z390 has been absolutely rock solid. Never crashes, locks up, or anything. So I say you CAN get there, just a matter of figuring out what the issues are, or starting over from scratch.

My Z390 has been absolutely rock solid. Never crashes, locks up, or anything. So I say you CAN get there, just a matter of figuring out what the issues are, or starting over from scratch.
No lock ups or reboots in Big Sur(not latest) with iMac 19,1 for me. Just having problems with installing 3rd party drivers(kexts), this is a known issue for MacOS 11.

Good Friday everybody.

Looks like my Mac is stuck on 12.1 and don't show any updates in system preferences.
Any fix for this ?
Thanks.
I had that issue for almost a year! I just recently solved that by updating to the latest versions of HackinDROM, OpenCore, and OpenCore Configurator.

See if you get this message when you launch OCC:

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 9.02.20 PM.png

If so, after upgrading all of the above, open HackinDROM, mount your EFI drive/partition, then right-click on your EFI drive details in HackinDROM. You will have an option to update. Do that, and see if that solves the issue of not seeing updates from Apple. Worked for me.

HackinDROM saves the entire previous EFI folder in a ZIP file. If you're unable to boot from the internal NVMe SSD, simply boot from your bootable backup disk or from a USB flash disk that contains a working EFI folder. Then it's possible to restore the previous EFI folder from the ZIP file.
We can also easily extract the old EFI zip with a live linux distribution running on a USB stick

Back