Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I just upgraded from Big Sur 11.6.5 to Monterey 12.3 and both Ethernet ports no longer work the top Ethernet port no longer works. Both were fine prior to the update.

If I connect either my Ethernet switch or Metric Halo ULN-8 to the bottom port (en0), Network Prefs says "The cable for Ethernet (en0) is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address."

EDIT: I got the bottom port to work by clicking "Advanced > Renew DHCP Lease" in Network Preferences.

That didn't help the top port.

If I connect either device to the top port, Network Prefs says "Either the cable for Ethernet (en1) is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding."

This post says to use the Apple IGB kext in Monterey, but doesn't explain how to do that. I'm not very experienced, and need the steps.

See screen grabs below.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Open Core 0.7.9
i9-9900K
z390 Designare
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580, 8GB
HackinDROM 2.1.0

[
We've had this posted since February 7. :)

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.08.10 AM.png

Been running Big Sur with my Apogee Symphony MKII Thunderbolt for a year. Unflashed native TB port. Stock CaseySJ EFI with no issues (currently on OC 0.79).
Hi @james-bond very interested to understand more here (using a MOTU 828es TB which works great on both Windows and OSX catalina with latest 0.7.8 Casey EFI boot just updated to my config (e.g. dont need nvme changes on crucial drives))
Could you please share a zip of your efi just for diffing it with my own config please (also have a 9900k and a rx580 so should be very close to mine) ?
Also did you update to latest patched 0xEC bios F9i from @Elias64Fr (I did) ?
Compared to the top guide on page one do you have bios changes?
Also did you need BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once. ?
Is your TB interface works hot plug (mine does work fine when i plug it after boot on catalina)

Last edited:
I just upgraded from Big Sur 11.6.5 to Monterey 12.3 and both Ethernet ports no longer work the top Ethernet port no longer works. Both were fine prior to the update.

If I connect either my Ethernet switch or Metric Halo ULN-8 to the bottom port (en0), Network Prefs says "The cable for Ethernet (en0) is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address."

EDIT: I got the bottom port to work by clicking "Advanced > Renew DHCP Lease" in Network Preferences.

That didn't help the top port.

If I connect either device to the top port, Network Prefs says "Either the cable for Ethernet (en1) is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding."

This post says to use the Apple IGB kext in Monterey, but doesn't explain how to do that. I'm not very experienced, and need the steps.

See screen grabs below.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Open Core 0.7.9
i9-9900K
z390 Designare
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580, 8GB
HackinDROM 2.1.0

View attachment 544674[

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • SmallTree-Intel-211-8259x.kext.zip
    91.3 KB · Views: 116
@gagaraz

Is that a newly released/updated version of the SmallTree driver? Where did you find it?

Update: It works! Will be included in next month's OpenCore 0.8.0 EFI folder. But do not use on AMD Ryzentosh (B550 Vision D). Will cause system crash when unplugging cable or system will freeze on login.

Last edited:
Hi @james-bond very interested to understand more here (using a MOTU 828es TB which works great on both Windows and OSX catalina with latest 0.7.8 Casey EFI boot just updated to my config (e.g. dont need nvme changes on crucial drives))
Could you please share a zip of your efi just for diffing it with my own config please (also have a 9900k and a rx580 so should be very close to mine) ?
Also did you update to latest patched 0xEC bios F9i from @Elias64Fr (I did) ?
Compared to the top guide on page one do you have bios changes?
Also did you need BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once. ?
Is your TB interface works hot plug (mine does work fine when i plug it after boot on catalina)
I'm still on BIOS F6. Next time I'm in the studio I will look at the Thunderbolt settings in BIOS, but I think it is the same as Casey's settings. Hot plug works fine. I should note I have sleep turned off as I do on any studio computer.

Is it possible to flash the original Thunderbolt firmware using software?

Is it possible to flash the original Thunderbolt firmware using software?
It should be possible through Windows. We'll need to find the Thunderbolt firmware update package (not the Thunderbolt driver package).

Question maybe more for @Elias64Fr or @CaseySJ Is it possible using Intel FPT to downgrade from bios F9i patched to BIOS F6 without bricking the BIOS ?
I'd like to test a configuration for my TB interface that is as close as possible to the one from @james-bond just to experiment more...

Question maybe more for @Elias64Fr or @CaseySJ Is it possible using Intel FPT to downgrade from bios F9i patched to BIOS F6 without bricking the BIOS ?
I'd like to test a configuration for my TB interface that is as close as possible to the one from @james-bond just to experiment more...
Yes that should be possible. If Intel FPT can downgrade from capsule BIOS, it should be able to downgrade from a modified non-capsule BIOS...

Is anyone having issues in Monterey with the process "WindowServer" eating a lot of CPU, depending on the programs launched? Would switching to an iMP1,1 (iGPU deactivated) quell this problem? When I need to run Pro Tools, I've been using Big Sur until Avid or Apple fixes this.

Back