Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ first thanks for the massive content on the Designare board, questions:

I have a Designare Z390 board + 9900K + RX580 combo with latest official bios F9 not F9i, neither F9i patched.

I am experiencing hard reboots on Thunderbolt that I did not have on BIOS F6,
Is it safe to use the patched BIOS F9i in the other thread that you shared or should I stick with my official F9 version?
Also, with OC0.7.9 what set off SSDTs do you recommend for Thunderbolt audio interface users?

@CaseySJ first thanks for the massive content on the designare board, questions:

I have a designare z390 board + 9900K + RX580 combo with latest official bios F9 not F9i, neither F9i patched.

I am experiencing hard reboots on thunderbolt that I did not have on bios F6,
is it safe to use the patched bios F9i in the other thread that you shared or should I stick with my official F9 version?
Hello @rekursor,

BIOS F9 is a capsule BIOS that we cannot downgrade under normal circumstances. There is, however, a downgrade procedure using Intel Flash Programming Tool (FPT). Please see:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2312454

Also, with OC0.7.9 what set off SSDTs do you recommend for thunderbolt audio interface users?
There is only one set of Thunderbolt SSDTs that applies to all situations:
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
  • SSDT-HackinDROM.aml
For UAD Apollo users we generally recommend setting BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once.

Thanks @CaseySJ and also others that indirectly contributed to save my mobo BIOS today by allowing downgrading and also now using the latest 0xEC microcode with OC 0.7.8 thanks to these amazing guides here, everything i care about (including TB3) is working great -> hats down :)

Thanks @CaseySJ and also others that indirectly contributed to save my mobo BIOS today by allowing downgrading and also now using the latest 0xEC microcode with OC 0.7.8 thanks to these amazing guides here, everything i care about (including TB3) is working great -> hats down :)
Thanks to @gandem for finding the Intel Flash Programming Tool procedure on the internet. Seems like quite a lifesaver!

If using AMD 5xxx or 6xxx GPUs:

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.30.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Do SSP1 and SSP2 appear with original, un-flashed firmware? Recent versions of BIOS (those that support Resizable BAR Support) cause all sorts of problems with Thunderbolt USB-C controllers.
Just an update on this. After your comment and briefly seeing someone else with a similar issue, I downgraded F10 capsule BIOS back to F9 (before resizable bar option), and, hey presto, I have ports on the USB-C controller for the first time! Noticeable observation was in System Report>USB with the F10 (BAR Bios) MacOS would identify the controller as a USB 3.0 Compared to F9 (NON Bar Bios) it would show as USB 3.1 Controller.

Currently using your NVM50 Bios with the Blank Apple DROM inserted from your NVM33 BIOS I saw somewhere else.

Just curious what purpose do the HS01,2 ports serve as I don't even have the USB 2.0 header cable connected?
And do you think it would be doable to "Surgically implant" lol the 0xEA microcode into a z390 Gaming X BIOS?

OK, so I just gave a try to both Big Sur and Monterey. I noticed that Thunderbolt is not recognized anymore, and my audio interface is gone again (was working fine yesterday with catalina).

Used 0.7.8 then 0.7.9 with latest HackinDROM updates (awesome app BTW!). OSes ran flawlessly but TB would resist me on these.

No big deal, I'll just restore a backup but I was curious to know if someone actually uses TB audio on Big Sur successfully here?
(Note that I don't need (or at least didn't need so far) the TB bus protocol to work with my MOTU Pro device)

Last edited:
OK, so I just gave a try to both Big Sur and Monterey. I noticed that Thunderbolt is not recognized anymore, and my audio interface is gone again (was working fine yesterday with catalina).

Used 0.7.8 then 0.7.9 with latest HackinDROM updates (awesome app BTW!). OSes ran flawlessly but TB would resist me on these.

No big deal, I'll just restore a backup but I was curious to know if someone actually uses TB audio on Big Sur successfully here?
(Note that I don't need (or at least didn't need so far) the TB bus protocol to work with my MOTU Pro device)
Been running Big Sur with my Apogee Symphony MKII Thunderbolt for a year. Unflashed native TB port. Stock CaseySJ EFI with no issues (currently on OC 0.79).

I just upgraded from Big Sur 11.6.5 to Monterey 12.3 and both Ethernet ports no longer work the top Ethernet port no longer works. Both were fine prior to the update.

If I connect either my Ethernet switch or Metric Halo ULN-8 to the bottom port (en0), Network Prefs says "The cable for Ethernet (en0) is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address."

EDIT: I got the bottom port to work by clicking "Advanced > Renew DHCP Lease" in Network Preferences.

That didn't help the top port.

If I connect either device to the top port, Network Prefs says "Either the cable for Ethernet (en1) is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding."

This post says to use the Apple IGB kext in Monterey, but doesn't explain how to do that. I'm not very experienced, and need the steps.

See screen grabs below.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Open Core 0.7.9
i9-9900K
z390 Designare
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580, 8GB
HackinDROM 2.1.0

Running_Kexts.png
[
Ethernet-top.png

Last edited: