Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ, I just performed another CMOS Reset by following the procedure in the Designare Z390 user manual.
I setup BIOS from scratch, and nothing changed; the new OpenCore EFI got me to Mac recovery.

Questions:
1. Is there a chance to try upgrading to Catalina, avoiding the upgrade to OpenCore?
2. Can I install Catalina from scratch and then use my TimeMachine?

Thanks
Let's try changing SecureBootModel to Disabled as shown (not Default):
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 4.45.05 PM.png

Also, which System Product Name are you using?
  • Mac mini 8,1
  • iMac 19,1
  • something else?

@CaseySJ, YEAH! It works. Should I now update Catalina from the app store? Thank you so much again for your patience; I should tip you :clap::clap::clap:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 5.23.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 5.23.47 PM.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 52
I'm back in the game. BIOS downgrade successful! I did it with the Windows version from this description. Many thanks to @gandem for the life-saving link. :clap:
Hi,
great news! I have to do it, also. Just one question, though. In the original instructions one has to put in the name of bios <file.BIN>. Did you use the original bios name <Z390DESIGNARE.F9i> instead?
Thanks.

UPDATE:
Successfully downgraded from capsule BIOS to F9i.

Last edited:
Hi,
great news! I have to do it, also. Just one question, though. In the original instructions one has to put in the name of bios <file.BIN>. Did you use the original bios name <Z390DESIGNARE.F9i> instead?
Thanks.
Hi,
I have renamed the file "Z390F9i.bin"...

Can confirm, having this exact issue - iMac Pro 1,1 w/ 5700xt - OC 0.7.9

View attachment 544022

It's not just a lower GB score issue, the whole graphics pipeline seems to struggle under any reasonable load. Unfortunately this has made my machine pretty unusable. Is there any known solution other than rolling back?

Edit - I have found a temporary solution that works for me - there's an old SSDT over in this thread that appears to restore most of the performance, at least I can get some work done now! - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...with-macos-monterey-12-3-update.319404/page-2

I think there is a fix here, I'm however not sure how to apply it exactly since I'm still on MacOS 12.2.1.

SSDT working for RX 6800 XT?

Last edited:
A couple of quick questions:
  1. Are there any known issues with 12.3 if you're using an RX 580?
  2. Will you be putting out a prebuilt OC 0.7.9 EFI?
Thanks!
@Tea-Bone

I have Monterey 12.3 running with OC 0.7.9, and an RX 580, without issues that I'm aware of.

I believe CaseySJ is getting away from issuing mini-guides for each OC update. Instead he suggests using the HackinDROM app for updating. See post #35,235.

A couple of quick questions:
  1. Are there any known issues with 12.3 if you're using an RX 580?
  2. Will you be putting out a prebuilt OC 0.7.9 EFI?
Thanks!
My AMD B550 Vision D Ryzentosh with RX580 RX 5600 XT has graphics glitches and slow window resizing with Monterey 12.3. If you can wait for 12.4 to see if it fixes these problems, I would suggest doing so.

Because OpenCore 0.7.9 is a relatively minor update, I decided to forego the usual mini guides. The mini guide may return in the future…

Correction: RX 5600 XT (not RX 580)

Last edited:
@CaseySJ, YEAH! It works. Should I now update Catalina from the app store? …
Glad to hear it. I updated the mini guide for 0.7.8 to state that Mojave users also need to disable SecureBootModel.

You should be able to do an in-place upgrade to Catalina, but highly highly advisable to make a full backup of Mojave first.

Last edited:
Back