Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi all, I've been using this build for the last 2-3 years with Gigabyte Z390 Designare, i9-9900K, AMD Vega 64. Still staying on Mojave 10.14.6.

I'm thinking of doing a fresh build with the latest macOS. However looking at the 1st page I see only the "Quick-Guide for Fresh Installation of macOS 11.x Big Sur". Is Big Sur the latest that I can use with my hardware or is there a Guide somewhere to Fresh Installation of Monterey? Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi @xpisme

Hi all, I've been using this build for the last 2-3 years with Gigabyte Z390 Designare, i9-9900K, AMD Vega 64. Still staying on Mojave 10.14.6.

I'm thinking of doing a fresh build with the latest macOS. However looking at the 1st page I see only the "Quick-Guide for Fresh Installation of macOS 11.x Big Sur". Is Big Sur the latest that I can use with my hardware or is there a Guide somewhere to Fresh Installation of Monterey? Thank you.

I do agree that the Table of Contents is not very up to date anymore, due to legacy and recent developments (especially since we are starting to use HackinDROM more and more to install/update an EFI). So I did a very quick and rough write-up for you. Hope this gets you started for now.

Your system is a perfect build for a hackintosh with Monterey, and your in the right topic. My advise would be to use these steps one by one:

BIOS configuration
1. Make sure your BIOS is set-up correctly (see first post to choose between the 2 options and to reveal the required settings):
2022-03-10_08-25-47.png

USB installation stick
On an existing Mac, create a USB stick with Monterey.
You need:
  • 1 USB stick. I recommend a 32GB stick.
  • A Mac (hackintosh already or a genuine Mac) with a USB port
  • A little bit of time and patience..
  1. Download MacOS (Monterey) in the AppStore on your current Mac:
Download it and wait. It’s approx. 13 GB so it can take a while.

2. Format your USB stick, using the Disk Utility app, as follows:
  • 2a. Name it USB
  • 2b. Format as Mac OS Extended (journaled)
  • 2c. Choose GUID Partition Map scheme
Your USB should now appear as USB in Finder.

3. Open the Terminal app and copy and paste one of the following in the Terminal window, depending on which MacOS version you will install:

Monterey (any FINAL version):

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB —nointeraction —downloadassets

You will then see the percentages for formatting, installing it on the USB, etc. Wait till it’s finished. This can take some time! It usually takes an hour and a bit more on my system.

If it fails at a certain point, just keep trying be starting from step 2 again.

1. Now, the only thing that lefts remaining is to copy your pre-made EFI folder to the EFI-partition of your USB stick. So, mount the EFI-partition with e.g. OpenCore Configurator (go to Tools -> Mount EFI) and then copy your pre-made EFI folder to the empty EFI-partition.
Once you boot your system, and start up from the USB stick, you'll have a way to boot your system from, or to install a new hackintosh system with.

Create the OpenCore EFI
On your existing Mac, install HackinDROM and configure your EFI. I would for now still recommend to use the steps in the video I created.

When you have your EFI, make sure to copy the EFI to your USB-stick after you've mounted the USB-stick with e.g. HackinDROM or OpenCore Configurator.

Install Monterey
Now you've configured your BIOS, prepared your USB stick and OpenCore EFI (and copied your OpenCore EFI on your EFI partition, you can install Monterey.

Just boot from your USB stick (using F12 when booting) and make sure come to the installation screen.

After some activity you will be presented with the Monterey Installer GUI. From the list of options, choose Disk Utility to erase the target Monterey disk. Be absolutely certain to choose Show All Devices from the top left of Disk Utility. Then select the parent name of the target disk from the tree view on the left side. You will now see options to select Name, Format, and Scheme. If you don't see these 3 options, stop and double-check your steps.

• Name your disk Monterey. You can change it later.
  • Format may be either: APFS or MacOS Extended (Journaled). If you select the latter option, it will be converted to APFS automatically.
  • Scheme must be: GUID Partition Map.
It then boots a few times (this is a automatic process if everything goes well).

After the installation, you should have a "working system". Please don't reboot yet! We need to make sure your EFI partition is loaded with OpenCore.

Copy your OpenCore EFI to the EFI-partition of your Monterey installation

- Install HackinDROM again but now on your current installation
- Mount the EFI of Monterey
- Copy the EFI folder you've created before. So it will basically looks like this:

2022-03-10_08-52-50-2.png

After you've made sure the EFI is set-up correctly, you can remove your USB stick, and reboot your hackintosh. It should then work!

Last edited:
Hi @xpisme
I do agree that the Table of Contents is not very up to date anymore, due to legacy and recent developments (especially since we are starting to use HackinDROM more and more to install/update an EFI). So I did a very quick and rough write-up for you. Hope this gets you started for now.

You system is a perfect build for a hackintosh with Monterey, and your in the right topic. My advise would be to use these steps one by one:

BIOS configuration
+
On Mojave we can use HackinDROM Web to create an EFI

Hello @xpisme,

You can follow @joostiphone's post above or you can follow the Big Sur fresh install guide, but use OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI folder (link in Post 1 Quick Reference Spoiler) and replace all instances of "Big Sur" with "Monterey" in the Big Sur fresh install guide.

Thank you @joostiphone @Inqnuam @CaseySJ

To double-check before proceeding, is there anything not working on Monterey that I should be aware of compared to Mojave? I use recording tools like OBS, Ecamm Live, Final Cut Pro X; development tools iterm2, homebrew; VMWare for Windows; and sync iMessage, iCloud, AirDrop with other Macs.

Thank you @joostiphone @Inqnuam @CaseySJ

To double-check before proceeding, is there anything not working on Monterey that I should be aware of compared to Mojave? I use recording tools like OBS, Ecamm Live, Final Cut Pro X; development tools iterm2, homebrew; VMWare for Windows; and sync iMessage, iCloud, AirDrop with other Macs.

If your hackintosh is critical to you, and with that the software that works on your current system, perhaps you can use another SSD to install Monterey on. Then you can choose at the OpenCore boot screen between Mojave and Monterey. Once you feel Monterey fits your needs, you can then choose to abandon Mojave. This is how I always work since SSD's are pretty cheap at the moment.

PS: in case you will do this, I think you should generate new SMBIOS settings for Monterey. In your apple devices overview it will appear as a new Mac.

@CaseySJ do you know how to fix mouse USB dongle is lag.
I've tried 3 mice; the lag lag same.

@CaseySJ do you know how to fix mouse USB dongle is lag.
I've tried 3 mice; the lag lag same.
  • What is the make/model of the mouse?
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Is mouse connected via USB cable, via USB RF receiver, or via Bluetooth?
  • Are you using Intel WiFi/BT or Broadcom WiFi/BT?
  • Describe "lag"...

• What is the make/model of the mouse?
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Is mouse connected via USB cable, via USB RF receiver, or via Bluetooth?
  • Are you using Intel WiFi/BT or Broadcom WiFi/BT?
  • Describe "lag"...
sorry im post wrong topic , actually i must to post in Z690 Aero G topic

i use logitech mx ergo and kensington pro fit connected vis bluetooth usb

mac monterey

intel wifi

lag is mouse arrow not smooth sometime it like jump

Back