Attachments

• Thunderbolt before UAD power flip-on.png
    Thunderbolt before UAD power flip-on.png
    387.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Thunderbolt after UAD power flip-on.png
    Thunderbolt after UAD power flip-on.png
    406.8 KB · Views: 35
Are you using SSDT-DTPG.aml ?
yes, the SSDT-DTPG is in the acpi folder and it is checked ON in config.list--acpi.

however, I see that the SSDT-TbtOnPch-Gigabyte-Z390-AORUS.aml I have is for the alpine ridge. IIRC that is required if the card isn't flashed, which it isn't.

I have "unchecked" the alpine TbtOnPch aml.

so do I need the titan version of the TbtOnPch aml?

thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 2.35.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 2.35.49 PM.png
    50 KB · Views: 39
It will populate as you add devices
true, but I have both my Apple Thunderbolt Display (yes, I know that may be problematical but it worked OK in alpine) as well as a WD TB2 disk drive (using an apple TB3 to TB3 adapter) which works fine in my Designare. even if the display is fluky, the WD unit should show up, and it doesn't.

rebooting with the apple TB display disconnected and the WD TB drive plugged in still shows no devices attached to the TR controller.

Last edited:
I don't recommend flashing Alpine Ridge cards because that doesn't seem to improve reliability.
Hi @CaseySJ wanted to follow up on my TB saga.
I haven’t been able to get any of the SSDT’s to work, so I’m going to try flashing my chip.
I know you don’t recommend it, but what firmware & DROM should I use?
I’m a bit confused, should I use the ones for the x299x, or for the add-in Alpine Ridge?

Hi @CaseySJ and all,

Unfortunately, I am an unlucky one who runs his system on a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO. Today I upgraded to Monterey, and I have a >5 minutes boot time. On the mini guides you mention that this can be fixed by cloning the disk, erasing it with disk utility and cloning it back. I am planning on doing it with SuperDuper.

Should I disable any options from config.plist before proceeding?

After finishing up the procedure should I enable trim on the disk again? My understanding is that the trim support is totally broken and the this 'workaround' only helps with the boot time. Is this correct?

Thanks!

I am an unlucky one who runs his system on a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO.
Use a different brand of NVMe drive for macOS and put Windows or Linux on the 970 EVO.
Erasing the drive and restoring a clone is only a very short term solution. Not worth the effort.

@sakoula,

As @trs96 mentioned, erasing and restoring the Samsung NVMe SSD is a short-term solution. Trim will not work at all. It's better to switch to a compatible NVMe SSD such as WD Black SN 550 or 750.

As @trs96 mentioned, erasing and restoring the Samsung NVMe SSD is a short-term solution. Trim will not work at all. It's better to switch to a compatible NVMe SSD such as WD Black SN 550 or 750.

Thanks @CaseySJ and @trs96 . I have just ordered an SN750. Is cloning going to work with SuperDuper or CCC ? Or should I use something else. I would like to avoid installing everything from scratch.

Thanks again!

Thanks @CaseySJ and @trs96 . I have just ordered an SN750. Is cloning going to work with SuperDuper or CCC ? Or should I use something else. I would like to avoid installing everything from scratch.

Thanks again!

Follow CaseySJ's cloning guide and it will work.

When you get the drive, format to APFS. This is required to get the drive to appear in CCC.

Make a CCC task and for Source choose your existing installation.

For Destination choose the drive and Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant. This will prompt to erase the new drive which is required. CCC will engage Apple's APFS Replication Utility which will clone the entire source installation to the destination, while arranging the Signed System Volume (SSV) which Apple requires. Only Apple's utility has the capability to handle the crypto.

The clone operation will proceed. If it fails with an obscure error, this is a sign that there are hard errors on the source drive. The APFS Replication Utility cannot tolerate any I/O error as it imperils the crypto for the SSV. If this unlikely even occurs, you will need to reinstall macOS on the destination and use Migration Assistant.

Once the clone is done, you need to add your OC config to the EFI folder on the new drive, assuming you want an all-in-one installation.

Best to you

Back