Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I thought I would chime in here since I use a lot of these BMD devices and I have encountered and explored this issue a bit.

TLDR for your issue- you must install driver version 12.1

Why? - This is the last version that has a BlackmagicIO kext installed in /L/E.

Now here is where I think this becomes very relevant to the broader community @CaseySJ ...

Starting with driver version 12.2, the main Blackmagic driver is re-written as a driverkit .dext file, and per driverkit requirements is located within the Blackmagic desktop video software app (in /Applications). I have not had success loading this driver on any hackintosh, and my fear is that as more drivers move to the driverkit model, more and more devices will fail to work on hackintosh until we understand and fix whatever is going on here. So hopefully some smart folks can start taking a look at this.

Drivers 12.2+ work fine on all my real Macs (obviously jumping through whatever hoops needed these days to permit third party extensions to load), but I can't seem to get any driverkit based drivers to load on a hackintosh and this is going to become a big issue for us sooner than later.

g\
@genzai :
I'm on driver 12.2.1 on my z390m WITH SIP still enabled.
On this machine, my Decklink SDI card is actually in an OWC TB3 extension chassis as I don't have an available card slot inside the machine. FWIW, I 'think' it still worked INSIDE the pc as well.
On this machine, there is a Decklink_Driver.kext in L/E, and that is in BigSur, but on the Designare I could only get 12.1 to work with SIP disabled. I ended up going back to Catalina on that machine (for other reasons) but I do recall getting BM to work WAS more difficult.
J

Last edited:
@genzai :
I'm on driver 12.2.1 on my z390m WITH SIP still enabled.
On this machine, my Decklink SDI card is actually in an OWC TB3 extension chassis as I don't have an available card slot inside the machine. FWIW, I 'think' it still worked INSIDE the pc as well.
On this machine, there is a Decklink_Driver.kext in L/E, and that is in BigSur.
J
You should investigate if your device attaches to the decklink kext in /L/E or if it connects to the com.blackmagic-design.BlackmagicIO.DExt.dext in "/Applications/Blackmagic Desktop Video/Desktop Video Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/Blackmagic Desktop Video Driver Extension.app/Contents/Library/SystemExtensions", as most newer and high end devices do (formerly BlackmagicIO.kext in /L/E). Also Thunderbolt connection may be a big difference here, especially if you have a flashed controller.

g\

Here is “one” explanation of what to try copy/pasted, but, again, didn’t work for me…only keeping SIP off worked:
I literally did this exact thing an hour or so before you posted! This is the solution. My steps were similar: I uninstalled Desktop Video 12.2, booted into recovery, disabled SIP (csrutil disable), and then deleted the Decklink_Driver.kext in Terminal (while still in Recovery mode). Then I restarted and installed 12.1 and it worked. Though I didn't intentionally keep SIP off. I was planning on turning it back on, but now I won't. :) Thank you. This would have saved me had I not gotten lucky.

Starting with driver version 12.2, the main Blackmagic driver is re-written as a driverkit .dext file, and per driverkit requirements is located within the Blackmagic desktop video software app (in /Applications). I have not had success loading this driver on any hackintosh, and my fear is that as more drivers move to the driverkit model, more and more devices will fail to work on hackintosh until we understand and fix whatever is going on here. So hopefully some smart folks can start taking a look at this.
Super interesting. I was reading that people were having issues with the new M1 chips and BMD too. Good to know that we can go back to an earlier version of Desktop Video but I agree, would be awesome if the hackintosh powers that be had a solve for this. Hopefully 12.1 will continue working for a long while.

Thank you all! Made my day.

You should investigate if your device attaches to the decklink kext in /L/E or if it connects to the com.blackmagic-design.BlackmagicIO.DExt.dext in "/Applications/Blackmagic Desktop Video/Desktop Video Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/Blackmagic Desktop Video Driver Extension.app/Contents/Library/SystemExtensions", as most newer and high end devices do (formerly BlackmagicIO.kext in /L/E). Also Thunderbolt connection may be a big difference here, especially if you have a flashed controller.

g\
Not sure how to check that. Looking in IOR all I can find is something that says "IOServiceDEXTEntitlements... com.apple.developer.driverkit.transport.pci under "DeckLink HD Extreme 3D@0, but under that it does say "com_blackmagic_design_iokit_DeckLink_Driver... just don't really know how to read all of that...

BTW, I do NOT have a flashed controller on the z390m.. just a Titan Ridge AIC.
j

Here is “one” explanation of what to try copy/pasted, but, again, didn’t work for me…only keeping SIP off worked:
Added to Post 1, Quick Reference Spoiler:

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 3.47.00 AM.png

What DJ4MC might mean is that if he leaves both kexts check marked to load in his plist, but removes one from the kext folder, OC throws an error that probably prevents booting.
That is exactly what happened. It stops on the error for finding the kext it is expecting to load. All is good and this machine is rocking along coming on its 4th year of use. I was one of the first to jump on this threads bandwagon back in 2018. Massive Kudo's to @CaseySJ for this. My first posts here were back in the "can we get FCP to work with or without the iGPU?". And, holy crap my OWC Thunderbolt 3 array works flawlessly with this!

Hello CaseySJ. I am currently using Z390 Phantom itx and I have one problem. I used the Patching Guide. I used 'ASROCK_Z390_ITX_NVM20_MOD-Elias64Fr.bin' and set it as 'set Thunderbolt Useb Support to Enable' in the bios. It appears irregularly when booted to OC. Also, there are times when it is not recognized by Hot-plug as well as Cold Boot. Is there a solution?

Hello CaseySJ. I am currently using Z390 Phantom itx and I have one problem. I used the Patching Guide. I used 'ASROCK_Z390_ITX_NVM20_MOD-Elias64Fr.bin' and set it as 'set Thunderbolt Useb Support to Enable' in the bios. It appears irregularly when booted to OC. Also, there are times when it is not recognized by Hot-plug as well as Cold Boot. Is there a solution?
Hello @REXXVER,

This problem can be due to a couple of factors:
  • Because this is on-board Thunderbolt, the USB-C/Thunderbolt port can assign USB 2.0 devices to a different USB (XHC) controller. USB 3.0 devices are usually processed by a dedicated USB controller in the Thunderbolt system.
    • When you say that USB devices appear irregularly, are you using USB 2.x devices or USB 3.x devices?
  • Another cause might be the motherboard BIOS. Some newer versions of BIOS (those that have "Resizable BAR Support") can cause USB device connection issues on Thunderbolt ports in macOS.

I have a Z390 AORUS Pro in which I have a flashed Alpine Ridge V2 card. it has been working OK but I thought I would try out an unflashed (maybe eventually having to flash it) Titan Ridge AIC. The only place on post 1 I could find reference to a guide was in connection with using HackinDROM, but the link to the referenced guide is dead.

the new card is Titan Ridge V 2.0

I installed it, and IOReg shows it on RP21, but the tree is not very extensive. I assume I need a different set of SSDT's for the Titan than for the Alpine.

EDIT: I downloaded SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml for Titan Ridge v1 or v2 from HackinDROM, and added it along with SSDT-TbtOnPch-Gigabyte-Z390-AORUS.aml to my ACPI folder, and checked both to load in config.plist--ACPI.

attached are screen shots of system information--PCI and RP21 from IOReg.
thanks in advance for any suggestions.

UPDATE: I just noticed that both system info and IOReg report the card as an alpine ridge. I reset NVRAM and rebooted, same result.

it is clearly (well, I guess!) a Titan Ridge card, purchased purportedly new from amazon. the connectors on the card are different from the AR card I have.

do I have the wrong SSDT's, did someone flash this with the wrong ROM?

I have not flashed it but I suppose I could do that.

thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 8.20.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 8.20.53 AM.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 8.34.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 8.34.58 AM.png
    220 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I have a Z390 AORUS Pro in which I have a flashed Alpine Ridge V2 card. it has been working OK but I thought I would try out an unflashed (maybe eventually having to flash it) Titan Ridge AIC. The only place on post 1 I could find reference to a guide was in connection with using HackinDROM, but the link to the referenced guide is dead.

the new card is Titan Ridge V 2.0

I installed it, and IOReg shows it on RP21, but the tree is not very extensive. I assume I need a different set of SSDT's for the Titan than for the Alpine.

EDIT: I downloaded SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml for Titan Ridge v1 or v2 from HackinDROM, and added it along with SSDT-TbtOnPch-Gigabyte-Z390-AORUS.aml to my ACPI folder, and checked both to load in config.plist--ACPI.

attached are screen shots of system information--PCI and RP21 from IOReg.
thanks in advance for any suggestions.

UPDATE: I just noticed that both system info and IOReg report the card as an alpine ridge. I reset NVRAM and rebooted, same result.

it is clearly (well, I guess!) a Titan Ridge card, purchased purportedly new from amazon. the connectors on the card are different from the AR card I have.

do I have the wrong SSDT's, did someone flash this with the wrong ROM?

I have not flashed it but I suppose I could do that.

thanks
Are you using SSDT-DTPG.aml ?

Back