Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Black Magic is also present in IOReg (device ID 0xbdbd -- how appropriate), but there's no compatible driver. Hence the device tree under PEG1.PEGP is empty. Have you installed a Monterey-compatible driver for the Black Magic card?
I have tried. I installed and uninstalled the latest version of Blackmagic Desktop Video multiple times and even tried going back a version. The DeckLink_Driver.kext is showing up in Library>Extensions but the app still is not detecting a device.

Anything else you'd recommend trying?

1645865472957.png

Here's the Aquantia 10GbE card. Now that you've applied the kext patch, the new device tree will be more extensive.
It certainly is.

Thanks again for all of your help.

I have tried. I installed and uninstalled the latest version of Blackmagic Desktop Video multiple times and even tried going back a version. The DeckLink_Driver.kext is showing up in Library>Extensions but the app still is not detecting a device.

It certainly is.

BMD Multidock II/UAD Apollo user here. Do the BMD drivers require "Allowing" in the various Security & Privacy settings? Everything is screwed down a lot tighter in Monterey.

Why yes it does! And the fact I stop booting when either one is missing…

Hi there.

USBInjectAll.kext should not prevent booting in any of its guises, but USB might not work in certain circumstances, as it doesn't touch the SATA sub-system.

A conflict between the XhciPortLimit quirk and your version of macOS might though.

:)

Hi there.

USBInjectAll.kext should not prevent booting in any of its guises, but USB might not work in certain circumstances, as it doesn't touch the SATA sub-system.

A conflict between the XhciPortLimit quirk and your version of macOS might though.

I've got it back up, OC updated to 0.7.8, and the initial reason for messing with it resolved So... I'm not touching it!
Here is my USB setup: It was pointed out that I should have SSP1 and SSP2 set to USB type C only. Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 4.37.57 PM.png

I've got it back up, OC updated to 0.7.8, and the initial reason for messing with it resolved So... I'm not touching it!
Here is my USB setup: It was pointed out that I should have SSP1 and SSP2 set to USB type C only. Thoughts? View attachment 542769

Looks good to me. Thunderbolt 3 ports are usually "switchable" so "9" which is the setting you've chosen is okay. :thumbup:

Here is my USB setup: It was pointed out that I should have SSP1 and SSP2 set to USB type C only. Thoughts? View attachment 542769
SSP1 and SSP2 are controlled by the Thunderbolt XHC3 controller. They are set to Type 9 in the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT. We should not include these ports in any other USB maps.

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 9.09.39 AM.png

Hi there.

What DJ4MC might mean is that if he leaves both kexts check marked to load in his plist, but removes one from the kext folder, OC throws an error that probably prevents booting.

SSP1 and SSP2 are controlled by the Thunderbolt XHC3 controller. They are set to Type 9 in the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT. We should not include these ports in any other USB maps.

View attachment 542773
Thanks my friend! I’m not touching them! I have all the correct speeds etc on everything - all is good.

View attachment 542750

It certainly is.

I had loads of difficulties getting BM drivers to work in Big Sur (haven’t tried yet in Monterrey)…it’s also all over the BMD user forums, even on real macs. Interestingly, I didn’t have as much difficulty on my z390m system.
Anyway, there’s loads of things to try with approving the installer, deleting the failed .kexts after a failed install (at some point BM changed the driver format type (I’ll have to look that bit up and get back to you) but for me, permanently turning off SIP seemed to be the only way.

Here is “one” explanation of what to try copy/pasted, but, again, didn’t work for me…only keeping SIP off worked:

1. Uninstall Video Desktop using the uninstall program.
2. Boot into Recovery Mode (command-r)
3. Open Terminal to disable SIP: At the prompt enter this command: csrutil disable
4. You will get a message that SIP has been disabled.
5. Then enter reboot.
6. Once you reboot, open Terminal and force delete the kernal extensions. In my case, the commands looked like this for the three extensions:
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/Blackmagic_Multibridge_Driver.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/BlackmagicUsbIO.kext
7. After deleting the extensions, I rebooted in Recovery Mode (command-r)
8. Open Terminal to enable SIP: At the prompt enter this command: csrutil enable
9. Then enter reboot.
9. Once rebooted, install Video Desktop. I used the Beta, 12.0b1
10. If Desktop Video then says "No Desktop Device Detected" you have to go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General and the select "App Store and identified developers” and then “Allow” Blackmagic Design in the pop-up window. You might have to restart after that.
11. <NEW> If this STILL doesn't work, have a look in you Library/Extensions, and verify you have the "BlackmagicIO.kext" installed. If it is not there, run this command in terminal:
sudo mv /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions, then reboot.

Last edited:

I thought I would chime in here since I use a lot of these BMD devices and I have encountered and explored this issue a bit.

TLDR for your issue- you must install driver version 12.1

Why? - This is the last version that has a BlackmagicIO kext installed in /L/E.

Now here is where I think this becomes very relevant to the broader community @CaseySJ ...

Starting with driver version 12.2, the main Blackmagic driver is re-written as a driverkit .dext file, and per driverkit requirements is located within the Blackmagic desktop video software app (in /Applications). I have not had success loading this driver on any hackintosh, and my fear is that as more drivers move to the driverkit model, more and more devices will fail to work on hackintosh until we understand and fix whatever is going on here. So hopefully some smart folks can start taking a look at this.

Drivers 12.2+ work fine on all my real Macs (obviously jumping through whatever hoops needed these days to permit third party extensions to load), but I can't seem to get any driverkit based drivers to load on a hackintosh and this is going to become a big issue for us sooner than later.

g\

Back