Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you mess up your EFI but know what to do to fix it... Is there a way to make a USB bootable disk that will get you through a bootloader then boot into "normal" boot drive on the Designare.
Put your backup EFI folder onto the EFI partition of a USB drive that has been formatted MacOS Ext. Jrnld. and partitioned GUID. Boot from it and then replace the missing kext. You should be keeping a backup USB drive all the time anyway, just common sense.

Dumb Question of the Day.... If you mess up your EFI but know what to do to fix it... Is there a way to make a USB bootable disk that will get you through a bootloader then boot into "normal" boot drive on the Designare. I was messing around with my USBKext for OC and removed it from the OC Kext folder and now I get to booting after it finds the drive then freeses at the missing kext. Feel free to call me dumb. I deserve it. IM downloading Monterey now but if I can avoid making an entire bootable install disk would love it.
Yes you can always download the EFI for this build from the OpenCore 0.7.8 mini-guide, generate new serial numbers from the OpenCore Configurator pop-up menu (in PlatformInfo —> DataHub) and copy it to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk. You can then boot your macOS disk, but you will get AppleID warnings due to new serials. You can ignore those warnings long enough to fix the real EFI folder and reboot from that.

MAKE A BOOTABLE BACKUP!!

Put your backup EFI folder onto the EFI partition of a USB drive that has been formatted MacOS Ext. Jrnld. and partitioned GUID. Boot from it and then replace the missing kext. You should be keeping a backup USB drive all the time anyway, just common sense.
Perfect. I will make one with OC confgurator

Yes you can always download the EFI for this build from the OpenCore 0.7.8 mini-guide, generate new serial numbers from the OpenCore Configurator pop-up menu (in PlatformInfo —> DataHub) and copy it to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk. You can then boot your macOS disk, but you will get AppleID warnings due to new serials. You can ignore those warnings long enough to fix the real EFI folder and reboot from that.

MAKE A BOOTABLE BACKUP!!
THank you sir. fixed. And yes, I will put my EFI on this USB drive for future use. And, I know I am a dumb ass here haha I remember a few years ago on my first Hack doing something similar... but I have the full install US to boot from.

First off thank you so much for your help. I've been using your guide since 2019.

Long story short: I'm running a new install of Monterey and two of my PCI peripherals (#1 QNAP Single-Port 10GbE Network Expansion Card & #2 Blackmagic Design DeckLink Studio 4K Capture & Playback Card) are not showing up at all in System Information or Open Core Configurator. I've confirmed that both of them work on my Windows 10 and Catalina installs. Any idea on how to solve this?

I used Joost's EFI which is based on your guide and used your guide for my BIOS settings. Everything else seems to be working well.

MY BUILD INFO
Mobo:
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores
RAM: 64GB (2x32GB)
GFX: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 590 8GB

Peripherals:
  • fenvi T919
  • QNAP Single-Port 10GbE Network Expansion Card
  • Blackmagic Design DeckLink Studio 4K Capture & Playback Card
Drives:
  • WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe (MacOS Monterey)
  • Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (MacOS Catalina via Clover (no longer using))
  • Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB NVMe (Windows)

Hello @HarryMcGinty,

Because your QNAP and Black Magic devices are PCIe cards, have you checked IORegistryExplorer to see if they’re present? Feel free to save and post the IOReg file.

Are you running Monterey 12.2 or 12.3 beta? The 10GbE Aquantia (Marvell) kernel patch is different for 12.3. Please see:

THank you sir. fixed. And yes, I will put my EFI on this USB drive for future use. And, I know I am a dumb ass here haha I remember a few years ago on my first Hack doing something similar... but I have the full install US to boot from.
Dumb Question #2 (it has been a while ) what is the difference between USBInjectAll-071 and USBInjectAll-076 ?

Hi @CaseySJ

My problem with the bluetooth still continues.

In general, bluetooth works as long as the PC don't sleep. If it goes to sleep, i cannot wake it through bluetooth keyboard, i cannot enter my password. If i use USB cable connected to the keyboard and login after wake, when i remove the usb cable magic keyboard won't connect through Bluetooth. And also "bluetoothd" goes crazy, using too much cpu resource until i turn it off, and then turn it on back. (I wrote about this before but I think you didn't see my post #34735) After that i have to disconnect the bluetooth keyboard from the macos bluetooth menu and connect again, then keyboard can start working with bluetooth.

IOReg shows BRCM20702 Hub is connected to HS11, I'm attaching the screenshot from that entry.

Current system:
- macOS 12.2.1
- OC 0.7.8
- Broadcom 94360 ( I think CS2 version) connected with a PCIe Adapter
- Apple Magic Keyboard
- VTd Disabled (Dual boot with Windows on separate NVME SSDs)

BrcmPatchRam, BluToolFixup and all other entries are removed from the config.plist and kexts are deleted inside the EFI folder, as you suggested before. Nothing changes with or without these kexts.

This problem exists since I updated (fresh install) to macOS Monterey, and no macOS or OC update solved it yet. I'm really looking for a solution as in current status bluetooth is mostly useless for me.

Is it possible to use the onboard Intel card instead of the Broadcom one?

Thank you again for your help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 16.33.38.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 16.33.38.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 16.34.54.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 16.34.54.png
    328.1 KB · Views: 36
Dumb Question #2 (it has been a while ) what is the difference between USBInjectAll-071 and USBInjectAll-076 ?
No problem!
  • USBInjectAll 0.7.1 is compiled with older macOS development libraries and won't run on Big Sur and Monterey. It also lacks support for iMac20,1 and iMac20,2.
  • USBInjectAll 0.7.6 is compiled with newer development libraries and works on both Big Sur and Monterey. It supports iMac20,1 and iMac20,2.
  • USBInjectAll 0.7.7 is the same as 0.7.6, but is compatible with XHC (USB) controllers on Z690 platforms.

Back