Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please compress and post your entire EFI Folder, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo --> DataHub section of config.plist before compressing and posting.

Attachments

• copyEFI.zip
    25.9 MB · Views: 43
@oLiMonKeY
SSDT-DTPG.aml is missing in your EFI
It is required for TB SSDT

Also you need only one of these SSDTs:

SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml > for modified firmware TB
SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml > preferred for original TB firmware

I suggest you to create an OC EFI from scratch with HackinDROM App on a USB stick and to boot your system to test TB devices

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 18.21.39.png

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 37
Last edited:
I have an older hack that wouldn't boot, so I removed the SSD from it and installed it in an empty slot in my designare, so that I could open it do some troubleshooting.

I booted to it, but couldn't proceed further since the home folder is on a drive still in the old hack.

so----I restarted the designare so I could boot from my normal drive and then inspect the "other" SSD. at the OC splash screen, my normal boot choices (Office Big Sur and Office Catalina) were not there but instead Office Big Sur--Data and Office Catalina--Data. I shut down, removed the "other" SSD, and rebooted, but still the boot choices were the --Data drives (both are SSD's).

I booted to recovery, and disk utility showed both the system and data drives for both the Big Sur and Catalina SSD's. I ran Disk First Aid on both, and in the apple menu (still in recovery) I chose Office Catalina as the startup disk. I chose restart from the apple menu, but still the boot choices are the --Data drives.

what is the fix?

thanks
tempImagejLRYRj.jpg
tempImageAcEKNb.jpg

I removed the SSD that I had installed from the "other" hack, and the subsequent boot is when I noticed the problem. the designare is back to the normal configuration of 2 SSD's, except the boot choices show the --Data drives instead of the system drives. something changed when I temporarily installed the "other" SSD.

Note--I had installed the "other" SSD in a PCI-e slot using an m.2 to PCI-e adapter board.

Note 2--I reset CMOS, with no effect on the boot choices.

Last edited:
I removed the SSD that I had installed from the "other" hack, and the subsequent boot is when I noticed the problem. the designare is back to the normal configuration of 2 SSD's, except the boot choices show the --Data drives instead of the system drives. something changed when I temporarily installed the "other" SSD.

(Note--I had installed the "other" SSD in a PCI-e slot using an m.2 to PCI-e adapter board.)
  • I would first suggest doing Reset NVRAM.
  • If problem persists, do cold boot.
  • If problem persists, open BIOS Setup --> Boot and select the disk containing OpenCore as Priority #1. Then "Save & Exit" from BIOS.
  • If problem persists, try booting one of the macOS volumes anyway to see if it works.
---
  • If problem persists, please let us know.

• I would first suggest doing Reset NVRAM.
  • If problem persists, do cold boot.
  • If problem persists, open BIOS Setup --> Boot and select the disk containing OpenCore as Priority #1. Then "Save & Exit" from BIOS.
  • If problem persists, try booting one of the macOS volumes anyway to see if it works.
---
  • If problem persists, please let us know.
first I cleared CMOS and made the appropriate BIOS settings according to post 1.

reset NVRAM--same symptom.
cold boot--same symptom.
verified boot from the SSD containing OC, also booted from USB stick which contains the designare OC that I placed on the usb stick a couple of weeks ago and verified working. neither SSD nor USB EFI changed the symptom.
tried booting from both the --Data volumes, received security error messages.

then for fun, I tried a USB stick containing clover 5144, which was prepared for a different hack. interestingly, the boot choices were not --Data but instead "Boot Mac OS from Office Big Sur via Preboot" and corresponding entry for the "Catalina" drive. not sure if this is helpful.

I also tried removing one of the SSD's and installing it into an external USB m.2 enclosure. booting from OC, it shows as an external drive, but still listed as Big Sur--Data.

UPDATE: I dug up my bootable backup drive. when plugged it into a designare USB port and booted with the EFI folder that is on one of the SSD's (same as I have been using all along), the USB backup drive shows up properly as a boot choice (no --Data appended to the drive name) and it boots to the desktop properly.

both the SSD's point to the home folder on a separate HD, so the SSD's just contain the system. it will not be a big issue to format the SSD's and reinstall both systems (Big Sur and Monterey--despite the name Catalina on the drive--I just failed to change the drive name when I replace Catalina with Monterey last week).

Last edited:
first I cleared CMOS and made the appropriate BIOS settings according to post 1.

reset NVRAM--same symptom.
cold boot--same symptom.
verified boot from the SSD containing OC, also booted from USB stick which contains the designare OC that I placed on the usb stick a couple of weeks ago and verified working. neither SSD nor USB EFI changed the symptom.
tried booting from both the --Data volumes, received security error messages.

then for fun, I tried a USB stick containing clover 5144, which was prepared for a different hack. interestingly, the boot choices were not --Data but instead "Boot Mac OS from Office Big Sur via Preboot" and corresponding entry for the "Catalina" drive. not sure if this is helpful.

I also tried removing one of the SSD's and installing it into an external USB m.2 enclosure. booting from OC, it shows as an external drive, but still listed as Big Sur--Data.

UPDATE: I dug up my bootable backup drive. when plugged it into a designare USB port and booted with the EFI folder that is on one of the SSD's (same as I have been using all along), the USB backup drive shows up properly as a boot choice (no --Data appended to the drive name) and it boots to the desktop properly.

both the SSD's point to the home folder on a separate HD, so the SSD's just contain the system. it will not be a big issue to format the SSD's and reinstall both systems (Big Sur and Monterey--despite the name Catalina on the drive--I just failed to change the drive name when I replace Catalina with Monterey last week).
I wonder if the following will work:
  • First, I would disconnect the bootable backup and place it somewhere safe.
  • Then try booting the Recovery partition of Big Sur.
  • One of the choices there will be to reinstall macOS (yes, directly from Recovery).
  • Try that option first -- it will not delete your "data" volume, but should only reinstall the "system" volume.

@oLiMonKeY
SSDT-DTPG.aml is missing in your EFI
It is required for TB SSDT

Also you need only one of these SSDTs:

SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml > for modified firmware TB
SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml > preferred for original TB firmware

I suggest you to create an OC EFI from scratch with HackinDROM App on a USB stick and to boot your system to test TB devices

View attachment 541089
Thanks.
Now the EFi seems OK.
But Apollo is not working.
Even with my other UAD solo.

Both are connected and appear in UAD monitor. But, when I choose it in System père fences / Sound, nothing workS.

YouTube freezes when UAD is choosed.
And I keep on working when I choose my monitor as a sound Out.

I have changed my Thunderbolt cable.

I’m totally down !!!!

All that mess for changing my GPU. :(

I wonder if the following will work:
  • First, I would disconnect the bootable backup and place it somewhere safe.
  • Then try booting the Recovery partition of Big Sur.
  • One of the choices there will be to reinstall macOS (yes, directly from Recovery).
  • Try that option first -- it will not delete your "data" volume, but should only reinstall the "system" volume.
Under way.......

After about 30 minutes, the Big Sur install from recovery failed with a PKDownload error.

Now booting from Monterey recovery

Monterey recovery installer did the trick. OC shows the correct boot choice for the Monterey disk (not --Data). I'll try once more to fix the Big Sur volume using Big Sur recovery, and, if the download times out again, I will use the Big Sur USB installer I created the other day to do the job.

Still idly curious as to what caused this earlier today. If it comes to you in a dream tonight, or in the shower tomorrow, let me know!

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE--I realized I can't use a USB installer to install Big Sur while running from my Monterey install. I'll try the recovery install approach again tomorrow. Maybe Apple's servers will be more speedy.

Last edited:
Back