Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Perhaps Spotlight indexing is taking place? We can also run Activity Monitor and sort the list by “%cpu” to see which process is consuming excess time.
1643670750702.png

@CaseySJ that's exactly the bizarre thing, that nothing is really using up any CPU. I've had Logic Pro X and Firefox open for a few days, but otherwise, the bigger CPU Time usage is coming from kernel_task. As you can see the overall CPU usage is really sitting on ~97% idle. The few bumps you see in the graph were moments of me opening some apps which require higher loads to see how things behave. And in each case, I never bumped over 85% idle (so max 15% CPU usage). It's as if the Hackintosh isn't allocating all the resources it could.

I double-clicked the graph to open the CPU History and discovered a strange thing, the graph assumes I have 16 cores, where this is an 8-core machine. It's only showing activity on the odd-numbered cores (so 8 cores total, which I guess is correct). Does the load distribution look correct?

1643671296559.png

View attachment 540907
@CaseySJ that's exactly the bizarre thing, that nothing is really using up any CPU. I've had Logic Pro X and Firefox open for a few days, but otherwise, the bigger CPU Time usage is coming from kernel_task. As you can see the overall CPU usage is really sitting on ~97% idle. The few bumps you see in the graph were moments of me opening some apps which require higher loads to see how things behave. And in each case, I never bumped over 85% idle (so max 15% CPU usage). It's as if the Hackintosh isn't allocating all the resources it could.

I double-clicked the graph to open the CPU History and discovered a strange thing, the graph assumes I have 16 cores, where this is an 8-core machine. It's only showing activity on the odd-numbered cores (so 8 cores total, which I guess is correct). Does the load distribution look correct?

View attachment 540910
The i9-9900K is an 8-core but 16-thread processor. The 16 threads are also known a Logical Processors, which is what Activity Monitor is showing.

Now that a couple of days have gone by, is the system still sluggish? If so, can you describe some specific examples of sluggishness?

This is actually normal, Hyper Threading !

Because LaCie Orange is a Thunderbolt 2 device, it may not hot plug. Have you already tried connecting it before macOS boots up?

Does the Apollo have the latest firmware (on the Apollo itself, not the macOS driver)?
Yes Apollo have the last driver.
I recheck it tomorrow morning

Yes Apollo have the last driver.
I recheck it tomorrow morning
Two more suggestions:
  • Perform a hard reset on the Apollo.
  • Then boot macOS, run IORegistryExplorer, scroll to RP05 section again, and post screenshot of the complete RP05 tree.

The i9-9900K is an 8-core but 16-thread processor. The 16 threads are also known a Logical Processors, which is what Activity Monitor is showing.

Now that a couple of days have gone by, is the system still sluggish? If so, can you describe some specific examples of sluggishness?
Thanks for the explanation @CaseySJ - yes, the sluggishness still happens. For example, right now, I opened System Preferences. The main window opened fast, but then clicking on any of the sub-sections gave me the spinning wheel and took ~15 seconds to load the sub-section. I've experienced the same behavior navigating in Finder. And at no point does any process go over 9% in Activity Monitor.

Thanks for the explanation @CaseySJ - yes, the sluggishness still happens. For example, right now, I opened System Preferences. The main window opened fast, but then clicking on any of the sub-sections gave me the spinning wheel and took ~15 seconds to load the sub-section. I've experienced the same behavior navigating in Finder. And at no point does any process go over 9% in Activity Monitor.
I'm experiencing something similar but not to the same extent, but this is with Monterey 12.3 public beta on Asus Z690 ProArt Creator:
  • Resizing the System Information window is sluggish.
  • There are some blotches on the desktop wallpaper.
  • Nothing in Activity Monitor is taking much CPU time.
This appears to be a graphics driver problem.

Greetings, all. Is anybody having problems with their UAD Thunderbolt interface randomly not working or showing as Offline in the UAD Console app? Not sure if my problems started with OS 12.2 or with OC077.

I'm rolling back to OC076 and disabling VTD for now to see if that improves anything. Odd stuff.

Attachments

• Monterey 12.2 OC077 VTD on in BIOS.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 23
  • config copy 2.plist
    31.1 KB · Views: 29
I'm experiencing something similar but not to the same extent, but this is with Monterey 12.3 public beta on Asus Z690 ProArt Creator:
  • Resizing the System Information window is sluggish.
  • There are some blotches on the desktop wallpaper.
  • Nothing in Activity Monitor is taking much CPU time.
This appears to be a graphics driver problem.
The weird thing though is I also have certain apps that require sweet CPU loads to load/render (non-graphical) content (like MAMP Pro). These apps are instead taking longer times and using up really low amounts of CPU. Nothing ever seems to really go above a total 15% CPU load, which seems like the CPU isn't really being engaged properly. I had this same issue on Mojave, and now this clean install with Catalina, which leads me to believe as you're saying it's either a driver problem, something in my EFI, or BIOS?

Two more suggestions:
  • Perform a hard reset on the Apollo.
  • Then boot macOS, run IORegistryExplorer, scroll to RP05 section again, and post screenshot of the complete RP05 tree.
So I have reset my Apollo. Turn off everything. Plug the Apollo and turn on the Hackintosh,
and here is the file

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-02-01 à 10.40.36.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-02-01 à 10.40.36.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Back