Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

In that case, please check the following:
  • Are you using OpenCore Configurator 2.56.0.0?
  • If so, it is set up for 0.7.7 Release Configuration? We can see this in the title bar as shown:
View attachment 539474
@CaseySJ I got my system up and running how I wanted thanks to you and the community. Thank you all. I have AVB working without dropping the connection to my Avid Pro Carbon Interface. Last thing I did was downgrade from Bios F9m to F9l. Also notice on HackinTool/USB’s now it shows the XHC3. I am guessing that's the 2 TB/USB-c on the board right? (Z390 Designare) I haven’t try them yet, but I will and come back to confirm. However…… my Bluetooth disappeared. Ethernet Port/WiFi working but Bluetooth just disappeared; not even the Bluetooth Logo on System Preferences. Could it be the USB map? Please that will be my last bug, and I will be complete (Knock on wood) any idea or help…. Again lol.

Thanks in advance.

Z390 Designare
i9-9900K
macOS Big Sur (Latest Update 11.6.x)
32GB RAM
2x 1TB NVMe
Fenvi-T919

@CaseySJ I got my system up and running how I wanted thanks to you and the community. Thank you all. I have AVB working without dropping the connection to my Avid Pro Carbon Interface. Last thing I did was downgrade from Bios F9m to F9l. Also notice on HackinTool/USB’s now it shows the XHC3. I am guessing that's the 2 TB/USB-c on the board right? (Z390 Designare) I haven’t try them yet, but I will and come back to confirm. However…… my Bluetooth disappeared. Ethernet Port/WiFi working but Bluetooth just disappeared; not even the Bluetooth Logo on System Preferences. Could it be the USB map? Please that will be my last bug, and I will be complete (Knock on wood) any idea or help…. Again lol.

Thanks in advance.

Z390 Designare
i9-9900K
macOS Big Sur (Latest Update 11.6.x)
32GB RAM
2x 1TB NVMe
Fenvi-T919
Hello @Perdomo15

XHC3 is indeed the Thunderbolt USB controller.

Regarding Fenvi Bluetooth, it should appear in IORegistryExplorer under HS11 or HS12. Some suggestions:
  • Ensure that the Bluetooth USB cable is connected to the internal F_USB header.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll (not search) down to XHC --> HS11 or HS12. Post a screenshot of that section or look for any indication of Bluetooth Controller.

Just upgraded to OC 0.77 and the only odd side effect I see is now when I boot mds_stores takes my entire CPU for 2+ minutes and then it all calms back down.

1642429633450.png

Hello @Perdomo15

XHC3 is indeed the Thunderbolt USB controller.

Regarding Fenvi Bluetooth, it should appear in IORegistryExplorer under HS11 or HS12. Some suggestions:
  • Ensure that the Bluetooth USB cable is connected to the internal F_USB header.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll (not search) down to XHC --> HS11 or HS12. Post a screenshot of that section or look for any indication of Bluetooth Controller.
Will do…. Ill be back with pictures.

Hey @CaseySJ, I got my Z390 Xtreme on 0.7.7 and Monteray. All is good except I just got a Sonnet Echo 5 Thunderbolt 4 Hub, and I cannot get it to be seen by my system. I have never flashed the Thunderbolt but I have used the thunderbolt SSDT. I am still on F9l BIOS, so not the most recent one that restricts the Thunderbolt ports to USB-C. What would I need to do to get the Thunderbolt 4 dock to work and ideally support Hot Plug?

Hey @CaseySJ, I got my Z390 Xtreme on 0.7.7 and Monteray. All is good except I just got a Sonnet Echo 5 Thunderbolt 4 Hub, and I cannot get it to be seen by my system. I have never flashed the Thunderbolt but I have used the thunderbolt SSDT. I am still on F9l BIOS, so not the most recent one that restricts the Thunderbolt ports to USB-C. What would I need to do to get the Thunderbolt 4 dock to work and ideally support Hot Plug?
Unfortunately Thunderbolt 4 hubs will not connect to this motherboard.

Hello All

I think I maybe seeing some similar issues with TB3 as Perdomo

I recently switched from Catalina & Clover over to the latest Big Sur 11.6.2 and OC it was a bit of a learning curve but thanks to Casey and others for the detailed guides I have managed to make quite a bit of progress, unfortunately I am massively struggling with TB3 even with the updated EFI folder posted in the last few days.

My two issues are random system freezing (Youtube seems to exacerbate this but it could also be completely random eg.5min sometimes 1.5 hrs max) this requires a forced restart & my other issue being tb3 devices not working correctly I am unfortunately stuck on the new Designare F9 bios also.

Attached are some logs from Console that proceeded a crash & some screen shots from Open Core where it appears the thunderbolt controllers can be seen, Hackintool also seems to recognise the existence of thunderbolt controllers and devices being present (A Tb3 hub, raid and Blackmagic device) but attempting to browse TB3 ssd in finder ends with a spinning loading icon and the drive being ejected. (Works fine in M1 MBP)

I have installed the latest drivers / kexts for the devices on the Hackintosh also.

I have also tried enabling / disabling Apple VTD

I have ordered a titan ridge tb3 controller that I can try in a PCIE express slot my hope with this is that it will be recognised and work as is? But I have skimmed a few pages on them am I correct in thinking that I may also need to flash the FW of the device? Or am I correct in fearing the worse that TB3 in F9 means only USB C in OS X (Haven't tried a USBC device yet) but it works correctly in Windows at least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the constant level of help and expertise on this thread is really impressive!

Attachments

• EFI, screen capture, console log.zip
    12.6 MB · Views: 57
Hello All

I think I maybe seeing some similar issues with TB3 as Perdomo

I recently switched from Catalina & Clover over to the latest Big Sur 11.6.2 and OC it was a bit of a learning curve but thanks to Casey and others for the detailed guides I have managed to make quite a bit of progress, unfortunately I am massively struggling with TB3 even with the updated EFI folder posted in the last few days.

My two issues are random system freezing (Youtube seems to exacerbate this but it could also be completely random eg.5min sometimes 1.5 hrs max) this requires a forced restart & my other issue being tb3 devices not working correctly I am unfortunately stuck on the new Designare F9 bios also.

Attached are some logs from Console that proceeded a crash & some screen shots from Open Core where it appears the thunderbolt controllers can be seen, Hackintool also seems to recognise the existence of thunderbolt controllers and devices being present (A Tb3 hub, raid and Blackmagic device) but attempting to browse TB3 ssd in finder ends with a spinning loading icon and the drive being ejected. (Works fine in M1 MBP)

I have installed the latest drivers / kexts for the devices on the Hackintosh also.

I have also tried enabling / disabling Apple VTD

I have ordered a titan ridge tb3 controller that I can try in a PCIE express slot my hope with this is that it will be recognised and work as is? But I have skimmed a few pages on them am I correct in thinking that I may also need to flash the FW of the device? Or am I correct in fearing the worse that TB3 in F9 means only USB C in OS X (Haven't tried a USBC device yet) but it works correctly in Windows at least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the constant level of help and expertise on this thread is really impressive!
Hello @BanaBon,

Your config.plist has several issues. Please try the following:
  • Download the OpenCore 0.7.7 EFI folder from this thread (see Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1 for the link).
  • Then follow this guide to rename config-AMD-GPU.plist to config.plist and transfer PlatformInfo credentials to PlatformInfo --> DataHub.
    • Use OpenCore Configurator 2.56.0.0 and set it to 0.7.7 Release Configuration before making changes.
  • Then copy this EFI Folder to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk for test run.
  • In BIOS, VT-d should be enabled.
  • Reboot system and press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore).
  • Select USB flash disk from the BIOS boot menu.
  • Now OpenCore Boot Picker will appear. Select the macOS boot disk and see if the problems still occur.

Unfortunately Thunderbolt 4 hubs will not connect to this motherboard.
Ah, that's a shame. Well, it seems that not even the USB-C devices I previously used are working here since I updated OC and MacOS.

I have tried with both of the Thunderbolt SSDTs. I have thunderbolt BIOS settings as configured here. This did used to work. Should I post up my EFI or any other dumb fixes I am missing?

Ah, that's a shame.
Yes, others found this out the hard way as well!

Well, it seems that not even the USB-C devices I previously used are working here since I updated OC and MacOS.

I have tried with both of the thunderbolt SSDTs, I have thunderbolt BIOS settings as configured here. This did used to work. Should I post up my EFI or any other dumb fixes I am missing?
USB-C devices should work on non-Thunderbolt USB-C ports, but we found that all recent versions of BIOS break USB-C device compatibility on Thunderbolt ports. Older BIOS versions should still be okay.

Back