Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

With BIOS F9 we cannot connect USB-C devices to the on-board Thunderbolt ports. But BIOS F9 fixes some security issues. So the decision is really up to each person.
Any chance that these security fixes will ruin Thunderbolt hotswap?

Any chance that these security fixes will ruin Thunderbolt hotswap?
I’ve installed F9 on my Designare test bench. Thunderbolt hot plug is still working.

I’ve installed F9 on my Designare test bench. Thunderbolt hot plug is still working.
Hi Casey would it be possible to grab a copy of that EFI?

I am on F9 latest bios & have recently switched over from Clover & Catalina and my new setup is struggling with a few niggles, pretty much all my editing drives currently run through thunderbolt.

My current setup (in both OC & old Clover) see's first item in the chain but will freeze the entire system if I turn on / connect my the next TB3 hub in the chain with the rest of my storage.

My apologies if this information is located elsewhere in the thread I did have a good read of the latest 20 or so pages before raising my hand.

Hi Casey would it be possible to grab a copy of that EFI?

I am on F9 latest bios & have recently switched over from Clover & Catalina and my new setup is struggling with a few niggles, pretty much all my editing drives currently run through thunderbolt.

My current setup (in both OC & old Clover) see's first item in the chain but will freeze the entire system if I turn on / connect my the next TB3 hub in the chain with the rest of my storage.

My apologies if this information is located elsewhere in the thread I did have a good read of the latest 20 or so pages before raising my hand.
Hello @BanaBon

The problem you describe with Thunderbolt daisy chaining is independent of OpenCore EFI.
  • Which Thunderbolt devices are you connecting directly to the two on-board Thunderbolt ports?
  • Which Thunderbolt devices are you daisy-chaining
Knowing the makes/models of your Thunderbolt devices, perhaps someone can provide some suggestions.

Oh gosh, how did you know that would work? Thank you. I can now boot in when using an adapter. What can I change to be able to use my on board HDMI cable so that I can save this thunderbolt cable?

I am using

BCM943602CD. Which Bluetooth kext should I use to get my bluetooth back?

Broadcom 943602CD is natively supported. We only need to enable BlueToolFixup.kext in Monterey, which has already been done. Are you sure Bluetooth isn't working?

Hello @BanaBon

The problem you describe with Thunderbolt daisy chaining is independent of OpenCore EFI.
  • Which Thunderbolt devices are you connecting directly to the two on-board Thunderbolt ports?
  • Which Thunderbolt devices are you daisy-chaining
Knowing the makes/models of your Thunderbolt devices, perhaps someone can provide some suggestions.
Thanks for the quick reply!

This setup was working in the confidence / older version of bios & F9 with Clover and Catalina.

The chain is Akitio Thunderbolt 3 Quad mini bay raid, then a Call digit TS3+ TB3 Dock with maybe 10 USB3 HDD's + 2x TB3 -TB2 devices

I haven't tested the Akitio will work for any real length of time by itself yet as I havent linked my AppleID and therefore FCPX with the new SMBIOS just yet. Either way as soon as the other devices are connected the whole thing freezes

This setup was working in the confidence / older version of bios & F9 with Clover and Catalina.

The chain is Akitio Thunderbolt 3 Quad mini bay raid, then a Call digit TS3+ TB3 Dock with maybe 10 USB3 HDD's + 2x TB3 -TB2 devices

I haven't tested the Akitio will work for any real length of time by itself yet as I havent linked my AppleID and therefore FCPX with the new SMBIOS just yet. Either way as soon as the other devices are connected the whole thing freezes
Which version of macOS are you running now? Have you tried enabling or disabling AppleVTD as described in the OpenCore 0.7.5 and 0.7.6 mini-guides in this thread?

I have the Akitio Thunderbolt Quad X (the full-size version). It's been working fine on Big Sur and Monterey. You may need to go to their website and check to see if there is newer firmware for your device. Also, a firmware update came out for the TS3 not that long ago last year. Check the Caldigit site against your device to make sure you have the latest firmware as well. I have used both of these devices with no problem, daisy-chaining a Thunderbolt drive to the Akitio since sometime in 2020, as well as filling up the TS3+ with all sorts of devices and it works great since about August 2021.

Also, try a process of elimination if you haven't already. Try only the Quad Mini to see if that works. Then, with nothing else attached to it, plug in the TS3+. Also, try the TS3 on a Thunderbolt port with the Quad Mini not plugged in and with nothing else attached to the TS3+. That should confirm if it's the dock or the Quad Mini. If they both work then chances are one of the extra devices may be the issue, though I would certainly make sure firmware is up to date on everything in order to work with Big Sur/Monterey.

Which version of macOS are you running now? Have you tried enabling or disabling AppleVTD as described in the OpenCore 0.7.5 and 0.7.6 mini-guides in this thread?
Hi CaseySJ

For some reason I might have been doing something wrong. I did exactly whats in the tutorial, but I still can’t get WiFi/Bluetooth. I got AVB working using Tb3 - Tb2 - Ethernet, but no WiFi/Bluetooth.

I am using Fenvi T919.

Hi everyone and especially to all of those who make all this possible and help the community. I need help getting my Wifi/Bluetooth working after doing the procedure.

Back