Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @Tea-Bone

Merry Christmas! Let’s see if we can melt your troubles away. :)

At OpenCore boot picker, press and release CMD-V to enable verbose mode. Then see where boot process gets stuck.

Also confirm that “SecureBootModel” is disabled. And check that all required PlatformInfo —> DataHub fields are populated.
Wow, quick melt.

SecureBootModel was the problem. I changed it from Default to Disabled and tried again. This time it went to the logo and just froze. I did it again verbose and saw that it complained about having conflicting kexts prelinked so I moved the junk back out of /Library/Extensions and it booted right up. It made me re-approve a bunch of legit kexts and seems to be fully functional. I'll give it a day and then copy the new EFI to my boot disk.

Thanks as always.

Things were working nicely and I upgraded to Monterey without issue this afternoon. Only post-upgrade issue is nightmare boot times.

Code:
DS9:~ teabone$ log show --last boot | grep "trims took"
2021-12-26 20:09:08.364049-0500 0x38f      Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk4 scan took 263.811007 s, trims took 263.400423 s
2021-12-26 20:09:18.494400-0500 0x9b4      Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk6 scan took 1.710653 s, trims took 0.850992 s
2021-12-26 20:09:50.604406-0500 0x96f      Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk3 scan took 34.510641 s, trims took 34.218856 s
  • disk4: Boot disk - Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe
  • disk6: Home disk - Inland 2TB NVMe
  • disk3: Storage "fusion drive" - SanDisk 240 GB SATA SSD + HGST 6TB HDD
Unless there's an update or a crash I don't really reboot very often, but I'd love to smooth this out a bit because I know something's going to go wrong in the middle of a conference call and I'll be bounced for way too long.

Oh, and I'm having trouble getting Apple Watch unlock to re-connect.

Last edited:
TRIM is broken for Samsung NVMe drives that are used as macOS boot drives. The problem shows up mostly in Monterey. They are not for use with APFS. Only way to fix it is to go with a different brand. WD SN750 is one of the better choices. Not the SE version. You can disable TRIM for the Samsung NVMe drives but I wouldn't suggest that for long term scenarios.

Last edited:
TRIM is broken for Samsung NVMe drives that are used as macOS boot drives. The problem shows up mostly in Monterey. They are not for use with APFS. Only way to fix it is to go with a different brand. WD SN750 is one of the better choices. Not the SE version. You can disable TRIM for the Samsung NVMe drives but I wouldn't suggest that for long term scenarios.

@trs96
Thanks! I grabbed a WD SN750 1TB at my local Micro Center. Any advice on the cleanest way to migrate my system over to the new SSD, I can't forum posts that have a clear path for Monterey.

Any advice on the cleanest way to migrate my system over to the new SSD
This thread has a guide to make a bootable clone with CCC or you can simply make a TM backup of the old drive and then clean install Monterey to the SN750 with Casey's EFI for the Z390, restore the TM backup during setup. Casey's EFI folders are always up to date with the latest OC and kexts that you'd need for Monterey 12.1.

This thread has a guide to make a bootable clone with CCC or you can simply make a TM backup of the old drive and then clean install Monterey to the SN750 with Casey's EFI for the Z390, restore the TM backup during setup. Casey's EFI folders are always up to date with the latest OC and kexts that you'd need for Monterey 12.1.
@CaseySJ and @trs96

I'm 100% on Monterey now! WD boots like a charm, just had to dig up that "Legacy Bootable" feature in CCC, they don't really advertise it. I've been using Macs as long as they've been around but never had to get this deep in the weeds. I'm more used to the Linux world world these days where things are a wee bit better documented.

Thanks so much for the pointers in the right direction. This is like UNIX + black magic (to protect me?). Let's see how long they let this unicorn called MacOS x86 survive.

Is it only Samsung, or other drives having problems as well?
It is mainly Samsung NVMe drives. Samsung Sata SSDs are fine, no TRIM problems with macOS Monterey.

If you go with a WD NVMe then you should have no problems. Their proprietary controller works with macOS when the drives are formatted APFS. Hundreds (or more) in this community are using the SN750 or SN850 NVMe drives with macOS Monterey and have reported no problems. Boot times are as fast as possible and it stays that way.
1640798111268.png

Last edited:
Back