Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

iMac19,1 is the most suitable option. It will enable Sidecar, but not AppleTV or DRM protected Music (Music app). Netflix and Amazon Prime may not be playable through Safari.

iMacPro1,1 is another option. It will disable Sidecar, but enable AppleTV and Music apps. Netflix and Amazon Prime will be playable through Safari.

Ok, thanks! I don't use any of those things anyway :p

Looking at this guide here: Catalina/Big Sur: Configure Carbon Copy Cloner for One-Key Bootable Backup

• Purchase or use a USB 3 external SSD enclosure. These can be purchased from Amazon for under US$10. Here's an example.
  • Install the SATA SSD into the USB 3 enclosure and connect the USB 3 cable to an available blue, yellow or red USB 3 port on the Hackintosh.
Is there a reason I'd need to put the SSD into an enclosure? Or is this just a preference you had? I have free SATA ports.

Looking at this guide here: Catalina/Big Sur: Configure Carbon Copy Cloner for One-Key Bootable Backup

• Purchase or use a USB 3 external SSD enclosure. These can be purchased from Amazon for under US$10. Here's an example.
  • Install the SATA SSD into the USB 3 enclosure and connect the USB 3 cable to an available blue, yellow or red USB 3 port on the Hackintosh.
Is there a reason I'd need to put the SSD into an enclosure? Or is this just a preference you had? I have free SATA ports.
In general, a full system backup should be on a physically separate device that can be stored somewhere safe. The choice is yours.

Downsides to Having an Internal Backup Disk:
  • You can accidentally boot from the wrong EFI partition.
  • OpenCore boot picker will show multiple boot disks (one for main macOS, one for backup).
  • OpenCore boot picker will show EFI partition of the backup disk.
  • When you try to mount EFI partition to upgrade OpenCore in the future, you will be confused by which EFI partition to mount.
  • Spotlight will index both disks and search results can show duplicate hits; you can configure Spotlight to ignore the backup disk.
  • Some applications that auto-update (such as 1Password) will be confused when they see a duplicate Applications folder.

**** this image also says to enter the 'system product name' such as iMac19,1. I have no clue what I'm supposed to choose here, I just went with iMac19,1. I believe my last mojave install i used something like iMac1,1, not sure. How am I supposed to figure this out?

See Post 1: Going the Extra Mile —> Table #1.

In general, a full system backup should be on a physically separate device that can be stored somewhere safe. The choice is yours.

Downsides to Having an Internal Backup Disk:
  • You can accidentally boot from the wrong EFI partition.
  • OpenCore boot picker will show multiple boot disks (one for main macOS, one for backup).
  • OpenCore boot picker will show EFI partition of the backup disk.
  • When you try to mount EFI partition to upgrade OpenCore in the future, you will be confused by which EFI partition to mount.
  • Spotlight will index both disks and search results can show duplicate hits; you can configure Spotlight to ignore the backup disk.
  • Some applications that auto-update (such as 1Password) will be confused when they see a duplicate Applications folder.
Ok, these are good points, thanks. I definitely ran into these issues with my mojave install. I guess I preferred keeping it internal just so I could automate backups. Probably worth it though to keep it external.

I have an Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor and an MSI RX 580 ARMOR 8G

Google says my CPU is 9th generation, and it says 'coffee lake' is 8th gen. The intel spec page for my CPU says the code name is "formerly coffee lake". I guess that means that that 9th gen "formerly coffee lake" is the same as 8th gen, but now it's just known as coffee lake???
For the sake of completeness, 9th generation is "Coffee Lake Refresh", an unexpected update that Intel had to make while struggling with its ill-fated 10 nm node… SMBIOS from 8th or 9th generation would fit.
This leaves me with these options

MacBookPro15,1
MacBookPro15,2
MacBookPro15,3
MacBookPro15,4
MacBookPro16,1
MacBookPro16,3
MacBookPro16,4
Macmini8,1
iMac19,1
iMac19,2
For a regular desktop, MacBookPro (laptop) and Macmini (portable-on-desktop) are out. That leaves iMac19. Both 19,1 and 19,2 shipped with Polaris (Radeon 5xx, like your RX 580) or Vega GPUs and are essentially similar. iMac19,1 comes marginally closest because it actually shipped with Coffee Lake Refresh and higher end Radeon options but this is not critical at this point.
Also the Coffee Lake tab there says iMac19,1 is for Mojave and newer, and iMac18,3 is for High Sierra and older.

So I guess that means I actually should go with iMac 19,1?
Correct. That iMac18,3 SMBIOS (7th generation Kaby Lake, with Polaris GPU) is a possible option if one wants to run High Sierra illustrates the wiggle room one may have while picking a SMBIOS (Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake are Skylake derivatives, and still very close to their model). But in the absence of any special requirement, iMac19,1 is the best fit.

For the sake of completeness, 9th generation is "Coffee Lake Refresh", an unexpected update that Intel had to make while struggling with its ill-fated 10 nm node… SMBIOS from 8th or 9th generation would fit.

For a regular desktop, MacBookPro (laptop) and Macmini (portable-on-desktop) are out. That leaves iMac19. Both 19,1 and 19,2 shipped with Polaris (Radeon 5xx, like your RX 580) or Vega GPUs and are essentially similar. iMac19,1 comes marginally closest because it actually shipped with Coffee Lake Refresh and higher end Radeon options but this is not critical at this point.

Correct. That iMac18,3 SMBIOS (7th generation Kaby Lake, with Polaris GPU) is a possible option if one wants to run High Sierra illustrates the wiggle room one may have while picking a SMBIOS (Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake are Skylake derivatives, and still very close to their model). But in the absence of any special requirement, iMac19,1 is the best fit.
Awesome, thanks for the thorough explanation. This is what I was looking for in case I find myself having to pick a different one later down the line.

Hi Casey,
I couldn't see this on the first post, so I'm probably not the first to ask, but I can see that there's a new BIOS available, F9: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-DESIGNARE-rev-10/support#support-dl

It seems to address some major vulnerabilities. Have you tested it? It seems if you upgrade to it, there's no going back. I had issues with Thunderbolt on F9j, so I'm afraid I'll have it on F9 too.

Hi Casey,
I couldn't see this on the first post, so I'm probably not the first to ask, but I can see that there's a new BIOS available, F9: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-DESIGNARE-rev-10/support#support-dl

It seems to address some major vulnerabilities. Have you tested it? It seems if you upgrade to it, there's no going back. I had issues with Thunderbolt on F9j, so I'm afraid I'll have it on F9 too.
Thanks for reminding me! This came up last week, but I did not update the top of Post 1. Will do that now.

Meanwhile, my advice is not to upgrade to this new BIOS. @canyondust upgraded his Z490 Vision D to the new capsule BIOS and it's been successful, but that does not mean the same will happen on Z390 Designare.

Hi, Caseysj, thanks for your interest.
Yes, I would try again OpenCore 0.7.6. Here below there is the IOReg file.
Apologies for the late reply... IOReg shows that WiFi is working properly. Is it actually working? Was this generated after booting from OpenCore 0.7.6?
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 10.14.28 AM.png

Back