Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi. I flashed my Alpine Ridge AIC yesterday and it looks good in System Report. I can see my PlugableTBT dock and my MOTU Audio in there. If I view the IOReg It looks almost as good but with the difference that the MOTU interface won't show? Also if I open MOTU software nothing seems to be connected via thunderbolt.

Opening System Audio it shows my dock's built-in audio device and it's working but the MOTU device (which is connected via TB 2 to the dock) is missing.

Any guidance on where start?

Also worth noting that I had it working for years in Catalina but still not in Big Sur.
Hello @Consigliere,

A few questions:
  • If the MOTU was working properly in Catalina without flashing the GC-Alpine Ridge card, what was the reason for flashing the GC-Alpine Ridge?
  • When did you upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur?
  • Does the MOTU require new drivers for Big Sur?
  • Your IOReg screenshot is incomplete because the 'search' field was used. Unfortunately search hides the details, hence I do not recommend it. Instead, simply scroll down to RP21 and post a screenshot of the DSB1, DSB2, and DSB4 sections.
    • Alternatively, feel free to post the IOReg file itself (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...)
  • Which specific MOTU product are you using?
  • Have you tried enabling AppleVTD?

If you are inclined to try OpenCore 0.7.6 one more time, please do so and see if WiFi is working. If not, simply run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file. That file could help us diagnose the problem.

IORegistryExplorer is available from here.
Hi, Caseysj, thanks for your interest.
Yes, I would try again OpenCore 0.7.6. Here below there is the IOReg file.

Attachments

• IoregMac.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 47
@Inqnuam Just updated from 0.7.4 to 0.7.6 with HackinDROM and noticed a small bug. I have a customized copy of SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml that HackinDROM has kept enabled while leaving Casey's version in the folder but disabled for previous updates, but this time the update process didn't see the file and reenabled Casey's version so I had to manually add my version back in and disable the original.

I've named my custom version SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7-CUSTOM.aml if that helps with debugging.

Hello @Consigliere,

A few questions:
  • If the MOTU was working properly in Catalina without flashing the GC-Alpine Ridge card, what was the reason for flashing the GC-Alpine Ridge?
  • When did you upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur?
  • Does the MOTU require new drivers for Big Sur?
  • Your IOReg screenshot is incomplete because the 'search' field was used. Unfortunately search hides the details, hence I do not recommend it. Instead, simply scroll down to RP21 and post a screenshot of the DSB1, DSB2, and DSB4 sections.
    • Alternatively, feel free to post the IOReg file itself (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...)
  • Which specific MOTU product are you using?
  • Have you tried enabling AppleVTD?
1. Reason was that I needed to upgrade to Big Sur where the card no longer seem to work as before. And also I was really curious and eager to flash something. Messing with the hardware it self made me feel good inside :)
2. I upgraded two weeks ago. Actually I still have the Catalina on a separate drive and did a clean Big Sur install.
3. Yes, MOTU Needed new drivers. (Also tried to install old ones but the install complained about not being secure by apple or something.)
4. Sorry about that. Attaching a new one.
5. Three of them. - 828 ES, 16A and the AVB Switch.
6. AAAH! I found your guide after searching for AppleVTD: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...10400-amd-rx-580.298642/page-661#post-2262127
I will read it, and try it right now.
Thanks for all your knowledge and help.

EDIT: SUCCESS!!! I have no Idea what DMAR-fix did but it sure seem to work now THANK YOU. If you have any info on why this helped and what I actually did with your Guide, it would be very helpful. I'm so thankful CaseySJ

1. Reason was that I needed to upgrade to Big Sur where the card no longer seem to work as before. And also I was really curious and eager to flash something. Messing with the hardware it self made me feel good inside :)
2. I upgraded two weeks ago. Actually I still have the Catalina on a separate drive and did a clean Big Sur install.
3. Yes, MOTU Needed new drivers. (Also tried to install old ones but the install complained about not being secure by apple or something.)
4. Sorry about that. Attaching a new one.
5. Three of them. - 828 ES, 16A and the AVB Switch.
6. AAAH! I found your guide after searching for AppleVTD: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...10400-amd-rx-580.298642/page-661#post-2262127
I will read it, and try it right now.
Thanks for all your knowledge and help.

EDIT: SUCCESS!!! I have no Idea what DMAR-fix did but it sure seem to work now THANK YOU. If you have any info on why this helped and what I actually did with your Guide, it would be very helpful. I'm so thankful CaseySJ
Glad to hear it!

In each new version of macOS, Apple makes a number of changes under the hood. Some of the changes are necessitated by new standards. Because Big Sur introduces support for USB4/Thunderbolt4, this required the adoption of new security measures designed to prevent "fly-by DMA attacks" from hot-plugged USB4/Thunderbolt4 devices. This is achieved by enabling AppleVTD. Therefore, when AppleVTD is not enabled, macOS will not allow certain Thunderbolt devices from operating.

Kensington has one of the best explanations of VT-d in the context of their Thunderbolt4 dock:

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 9.22.57 AM.png

Last edited:
Hi All.
I see that a new BIOS has been posted for Designare. Has anyone been brave enough to try it? Wondering if it fixes any of the Thunderbolt issues previous betas had. Aorus Master has similar issues and they have released a similar BIOS, but I'm afraid I won't be able to flash back to a working version. Would also like the security updates.
Designare.jpg

@Inqnuam Just updated from 0.7.4 to 0.7.6 with HackinDROM and noticed a small bug. I have a customized copy of SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml that HackinDROM has kept enabled while leaving Casey's version in the folder but disabled for previous updates, but this time the update process didn't see the file and reenabled Casey's version so I had to manually add my version back in and disable the original.

I've named my custom version SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7-CUSTOM.aml if that helps with debugging.
Have you switched off update blue button before the update
Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 20.02.41.png

Also please provide your EFI ill verify if that is an issue or what

Hi All.
I see that a new bios has been posted for Designare. Has anyone been brave enough to try it? Wondering if it fixes any of the thunderbolt issues previous betas had. Aorus Master has similar issues and they have released a similar bios, but I'm afraid I won't be able to flash back to a working version. Would also like the security updates.
View attachment 536800
@canyondust has successfully tested the new capsule BIOS for Z490 Vision D, but I cannot say whether the same will be true with F9 BIOS for Z390 Designare. I would recommend extreme caution.

@canyondust has successfully tested the new capsule BIOS for Z490 Vision D, but I cannot say whether the same will be true with F9 BIOS for Z390 Designare. I would recommend extreme caution.
I agree. It's odd that there is no option for reversion. I'm guessing that this update also overwrites the backup BIOS.

Back