Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

At this time the only alternative we’re aware of is to use a different NVMe brand. WD SN750 and SN850 are good choices.
Yes, for example, with WD 500GO BLACK SN850 M.2 NVME GEN4 - WDS500G1X0E : 10"
or Crucial CT500P5PSSD8 : 15"

Last edited:
Hello @Z390HTosh,

To answer your questions:
  • We can (and should) switch to OpenCore from Clover. There's a guide here. It's really critical to follow each step carefully and double-check each step. A full backup of Mojave should be made in advance.
    • In OpenCore, we should set SecureBootModel to Disabled. Once you have configured the OpenCore EFI, just let us know if you have any "preflight" questions.
  • Once you're on OpenCore, it's a simple matter to upgrade from Mojave directly to either Big Sur or Monterey. Upgrading to Monterey will be easier because it's just a matter of going to System Preferences --> Software Updateand letting it do all the work.
    • Upgrading to Big Sur will require you to download the full Big Sur installer, then double-click to launch.
Hi @CaseySJ, (Fixed) I created the USB flash drive with the edited Config.plist (I am using Intel iGPU). When I try to boot from the USB drive, the system just reboots just after selecting my Mojave Disk. Don't know what went wrong. If I choose to again boot from the USB drive, a message appears saying: OC : Failed to Drop ACPI. Then straight away it boots to recovery.
PS : My Mojave is booting normally from SSD

Fixed: it was my mistake. Once I set the SecureBootModel to Disabled, it booted normaly....but sometimes it shows Failed to Drop ACPI, and then boots to recovery without showing any partitions.

Update: I have swapped the EFI of my Mojave SSD and USB disk.

Also I am using iGPU. Do I need to do anything else to make it run stable?

Update: After booting, just when the login screen comes, suddenly the screen goes off with a pop sound. When I press a key it will come back on, this happens randomly only at the login screen. I don't know why that's happening?

I am planning to Upgrade to Big Sur. I already have a bootable backup of Mojave with Clover. Now I iam in OpenCore. So, inorder to make a backup now, should I just Run the Carbon Copy Cloner script just like that, or make any changes to the script and do?

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

I have a black screen at login after downgrading from RX 580 to GTX 770.

It's a Ryzen 9 3900X AsRock ITX/TB3 - 10.14.6 Mojave.

I've tried iMac14,2 instead of iMacPro1,1 and DVI/HDMI and screen is still black.

Are there any boot args I could try besides shikigva=40?

The RX 580 suddenly stopped working and had a GTX card I used that works in a MacPro also on Mojave, right before. Also

@CaseySJ , hai just a small doubt.....which post #1 are you referring to here?...can u pls clarify...
Z390 Designare BIOS settings are listed in post 1 of this thread, in the main body of the post.

… it booted normaly....but sometimes it shows Failed to Drop ACPI......and then boots to recovery without showing any partitions...
Is this problem still occurring? If so, please try disabling AppleVTD by following the bottom half of this post.

Update : i have swapped the EFI of my Mojave SSD and USB disk.

Also iam using IGPU, do i need to do anything else to make it run stable?

Update : After booting , just when the login screen comes, Suddenly the screen goes off with a pop sound, when i press a key it will come back on ,this happens randomly only at the login screen, don't know y thats happening...???
Are you using HDMI port or one of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports? We recommend using one of the Thunderbolt/USB-C ports with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and a monitor that natively accepts DisplayPort 1.1, 1.2 or higher. We should avoid video converters if we can.

Iam Planning to Upgrade to bigsur, i already have a bootable backup of Mojave with Clover, Now iam in Open Core, so inorder to make a backup now, Should i just Run the Carbon Copy Cloner Script just like that or make any changes to the script and do?
It is better to wait and address any issues with OpenCore/Mojave before proceeding. Then we can use the same EFIClone script with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Are you using HDMI port or one of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports? We recommend using one of the Thunderbolt/USB-C ports with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and a monitor that natively accepts DisplayPort 1.1, 1.2 or higher. We should avoid video converters if we can.
I am using the HDMI port of Mobo, connecting my Samsung monitor directly using HDMI cable.

It is better to wait and address any issues with OpenCore/Mojave before proceeding. Then we can use the same EFIClone script with Carbon Copy Cloner.
Ok, Thank you for your response!!!!.

Update : After booting , just when the login screen comes, Suddenly the screen goes off with a pop sound, when i press a key it will come back on ,this happens randomly only at the login screen, don't know y thats happening...???
This is happening randomly!..as of now. haven't happened for 4 or 5 bootups, Is there anything else to be done for the stability? Also, I can simply double click and open the Big Sur 11.6.1 pkg and install the update after waiting around?

This is happening randomly!..as of now. haven't happened for 4 or 5 bootups, Is there anything else to be done for the stability?Also i can simply double click and open the Big Sur 11.6.1 pkg and install the update after waiting around?
If you are okay with the HDMI port as it is, then it's okay to upgrade to Big Sur. Simply double-click Install macOS Big Sur to begin.

If you are okay with the HDMI port as it is, then it's okay to upgrade to Big Sur. Simply double-click Install macOS Big Sur to begin.
OK then, I will just wait for some time and check if any errors pop up. Then I will do the upgrade, again. Thank you for your response!!!

Update: After booting, just when the login screen comes, suddenly the screen goes off with a pop sound. When I press a key it will come back on, this happens randomly only at the login screen. I don't know why that's happening?
This is the only issue remaining right now. I am using OpenCore 0.7.4.....any advice on this, @CaseySJ?

Back