Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi CaseySJ

Yes this is a USB Bluetooth dongle. LogiLink bt0015 Chipset: CSR BC8510. This dongle worked well with Big sure and previous operating systems.
I understand the frustration. Even the Laird BT851 is having issues with Monterey. At the risk of offering false hope, let's see if OpenCore 0.7.6 due next week provides some remedy -- even though no changes appear to have been made so far to BrcmPatchRAM (which includes BlueToolFixup).

Yep, one step ahead of you already :) Found your post, put the SSDT in and BOOM, it's working!
Good job! Glad to hear it.

My Geekbench GPU Metal score is 172.000, which should be how a well working card performs, correct?
Yes this is reasonable on macOS.

I do have another concern regarding boot times though. It's currently around 7 minutes. I'm using a Samsung Evo 1TB M.2 SSD, which I've read is part of the problem?

I've taken a screenshot of the part of the boot which takes the longest. 2/3 lower thirds of this screenshot takes 5+ minutes. Any ideas?
This is very likely due to greatly heightened trim issues with Samsung drives in Monterey. A quick way to check is by typing this in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | grep "trims took"
Give it a few seconds then press CTRL-C to terminate.

Thank you so much @CaseySJ ! Also, do you have a tip-jar or a Paypal or crypto address I could donate too? I feel like a leech asking you about all this for free.
You're always welcome to contribute to the site. There's a "Contribute" button at the very top left of the web page, above the TonyMacx86 logo.

Hai @CaseySJ , I am currently running Mojave 10.14.6 (Intel UHD 630), and my clover version is 2.4k rev 4934. Will I be able to switch to OpenCore latest version from this Clover version?. Also, I am planning to upgrade to Big Sur later on. Is there a way to directly upgrade to Big Sur from Mojave? Or do I have to upgrade to Catalina first?. I am confused. I just need to upgrade my machine to the latest stable software version.:)
Hello @Z390HTosh,

To answer your questions:
  • We can (and should) switch to OpenCore from Clover. There's a guide here. It's really critical to follow each step carefully and double-check each step. A full backup of Mojave should be made in advance.
    • In OpenCore, we should set SecureBootModel to Disabled. Once you have configured the OpenCore EFI, just let us know if you have any "preflight" questions.
  • Once you're on OpenCore, it's a simple matter to upgrade from Mojave directly to either Big Sur or Monterey. Upgrading to Monterey will be easier because it's just a matter of going to System Preferences --> Software Update and letting it do all the work.
    • Upgrading to Big Sur will require you to download the full Big Sur installer, then double-click to launch.

I understand the frustration. Even the Laird BT851 is having issues with Monterey. At the risk of offering false hope, let's see if OpenCore 0.7.6 due next week provides some remedy -- even though no changes appear to have been made so far to BrcmPatchRAM (which includes BlueToolFixup).
Ok, then let's hope!

Good job! Glad to hear it.

Yes this is reasonable on macOS.

This is very likely due to greatly heightened trim issues with Samsung drives in Monterey. A quick way to check is by typing this in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | grep "trims took"
Give it a few seconds then press CTRL-C to terminate.

Yep, seems like it:
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk5 scan took 323.181420 s, trims took 322.763772 s

Is this because trim is on and I need to turn it off to speed things up? I don't reboot that often. Is is better to leave it be?

Yep, seems like it:

Is this because trim is on and I need to turn it off to speed things up? I don't reboot that often. Is is better to leave it be?
Yes that's the culprit. Unfortunately the normal means of disabling trim (SetApfsTrimTimeout) does not seem to work for Samsung NVMe SSDs in Monterey.

It's okay to leave it as-is, but lack of trim support can amplify write operations to the SSD thereby affecting its longevity.

Yes that's the culprit. Unfortunately the normal means of disabling trim (SetApfsTrimTimeout) does not seem to work for Samsung NVMe SSDs in Monterey.

It's okay to leave it as-is, but lack of trim support can amplify write operations to the SSD thereby affecting its longevity.

Ok, thanks. So what you’re saying is the only way to speed the boot time up and/or enable trim is to get a new non-samsung drive?

Ok, thanks. So what you’re saying is the only way to speed the boot time up and/or enable trim is to get a new non-samsung drive?
At this time the only alternative we’re aware of is to use a different NVMe brand. WD SN750 and SN850 are good choices.

WD SN750 and SN850 are good choices.
Readers of this should note there's also a WD SN750 SE that should be avoided too. It uses a completely different controller than the SN750. We don't really know if it works well as a macOS boot drive.

Back