Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This is interesting as I have the exact same card, but I don't get hardware acceleration... I'm on Monterey though.

Correction: I’m on 319, you 315, my bad.
What is the Device ID of your 6900 XT? I’m wondering if it’s 0x73AF instead of 0x73BF. System Information —> Graphics/Displays might show you this.

Bifurcate.... bifurcate... such a funny word. Like, "the price of that MacPro made me bifurcate all over myself!"
LOL! I had the same initial reaction. Fortunately PCIe bifurcation is present in Z490 Vision D, Z590 Vision D, and Z690 Aero G. It’s fairly common nowadays, but isn’t present in Z390 Designare.

I would not recommend such cards on the Z390 Designare because:
  • BIOS does not have a feature called "PCIe Bifurcation". This allows the lanes in a PCIe slot to be split into multiple 4-lane "virtual" slots.
  • This Asus card accommodates up to 4 PCIe NVMe SSDs. Each NVMe SSD works best when it's given 4 PCIe lanes.
  • In a x16 slot, all 4 NVMe SSDs can operate at full speed if the BIOS can bifurcate the slot into x4/x4/x4/x4.
  • If not, then it's best to check the instructions or technical specs of the card to see how it deals with cases where fewer PCIe lanes are available, and cases where bifurcation is simply not available.
You can see that Asus makes this quite clear on their website:

View attachment 536182
Thanks. I was reading on my phone and must have missed this. I also probably got excited by the possibility and rushed through this.

BTW, I have an RME FF400 working perfectly via FW400 to FW800 (9pin to 6pin) cable, to a FW to TB adapter, to TB to TB3 (USB-C) adapter. not ideal, but I get to keep my precious FF400.

Trying to update to OpenCore 0.7.5, system will boot and almost immediately follow login it would restart to a problem screen. Rolling back to 0.7.4 and all is good. I'd triple checked all of the platform info, I did notice processor type was 3841 on oc 0.7.4. I've tried 0 and 3841 and they lead to same issue. Have I missed a bios change or something similar? I've seen this same type of reboot to an immediate error press any key or wait screen on native Mac when there is a hardware issue.

LOL! I had the same initial reaction. Fortunately PCIe bifurcation is present in Z490 Vision D, Z590 Vision D, and Z690 Aero G. It’s fairly common nowadays, but isn’t present in Z390 Designare.
Yeah, I used to BIFURCATE the slots on my old z170, that is…until the wife caught me.

Two small images, just to show that Clover is not dead yet !! (although I also use OC 0.7.5) :) Configuring Clover remains simpler (in my opinion) than OpenCore !!

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-12-04 à 07.31.55.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-12-04 à 07.31.55.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Capture d’écran 2021-12-04 à 07.33.30.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-12-04 à 07.33.30.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Fortunately we don’t have to flash the VBIOS. We can fix this with an SSDT. Is the 6900 XT installed in the first x16 slot (closest to CPU)?

Yep, one step ahead of you already :) Found your post, put the SSDT in and BOOM, it's working!

My Geekbench GPU Metal score is 172.000, which should be how a well working card performs, correct?

I do have another concern regarding boot times though. It's currently around 7 minutes. I'm using a Samsung Evo 1TB M.2 SSD, which I've read is part of the problem?

I've taken a screenshot of the part of the boot which takes the longest. 2/3 lower thirds of this screenshot takes 5+ minutes. Any ideas?

Verbose.JPG

Thank you so much @CaseySJ ! Also, do you have a tip-jar or a Paypal or crypto address I could donate too? I feel like a leech asking you about all this for free.

Hai @CaseySJ , I am currently running Mojave 10.14.6 (Intel UHD 630), and my clover version is 2.4k rev 4934. Will I be able to switch to OpenCore latest version from this Clover version?. Also, I am planning to upgrade to Big Sur later on. Is there a way to directly upgrade to Big Sur from Mojave? Or do I have to upgrade to Catalina first?. I am confused. I just need to upgrade my machine to the latest stable software version.:)

Back