Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I have this same problem and after these steps + "remove boot argument agdpmod=pikera." since I have a Vega 64, I still have instant stop-sign when trying to choose my boot drive. I'm on Catalina atm and Opencore 0.7.5.

Things that I'm thinking might impact:

• The USB stick is 64GB. Is that too big? Does it need to be <32gb?
• I have a Firewire 800 PCI card installed.
• Does the USB port matter for the stick if I get as far as the boot loader screen?

I cannot get Windows to boot from my other SATA SSD either via OpenCore. It sends me to the Windows repair screen. I click "Boot Windows 10" and then the computer just reboots. I have disabled AppleVTD.

What else can I have missed?
Some questions and comments:
  • Are you converting from Clover to OpenCore in order to upgrade Catalina to Big Sur?
  • If so, your OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI is leading to boot failure in Catalina?
  • Have you seen this Clover to OpenCore transition guide?
  • In OpenCore Configurator, is SecureBootModel set to Disabled as shown:
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 3.15.36 PM.png

Seems your OpenCore EFI Folder is 0.7.4 so please try the attached ZIP, which contains OpenCore 0.7.5. Inside the ZIP is a folder named EFI.

Simply add serial numbers into PlatformInfo --> DataHub section before use.

Some notes:
  • To enable verbose mode, press and release CMD-V at the OpenCore boot picker before selecting the Mojave boot disk.
  • I've made these changes:
    • Removed agdpmod=pikera
    • Disabled AppleVTD
    • Disabled SIP (system integrity protection)
    • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled
Thank you very much! Initially, I was getting the same result with the new EFI - verbose mode was stuck at the same point. Did two things - used a different USB drive and checked my BIOS settings again, even though it seemed to boot into Clover fine with those settings. Strangely, things were different than the recommended settings even though it was recently checked.

Anyway, once that was done it booted fine using your OpenCore EFI. Will check it over the coming days to confirm all is well before moving the EFI folder to the boot drive. Thank you again for your help.

it is normally in this section:
Code:
<key>Generic</key>
        <dict>
            <key>AdviseWindows</key>
            <false/>
            <key>MLB</key>
            <string>M0000000000000001</string>
            <key>ProcessorType</key>
            <integer>0</integer>
            <key>ROM</key>
            <data>
            ESIzRFVm
            </data>
            <key>SpoofVendor</key>
            <true/>
            <key>SystemMemoryStatus</key>
            <string>Auto</string>
            <key>SystemProductName</key>
            <string>MacBookPro13,1</string>
            <key>SystemSerialNumber</key>
            <string>W00000000001</string>
            <key>SystemUUID</key>
            <string>00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</string>
        </dict>

or in propertree:
View attachment 536129

I know, yes. for some reason it's not there.

Did you generate serials and add them when you first installed macOS ? Did you save a backup copy of your EFI ?

I did, yes. I do have a backup of the EFI, but it's the same corrupted plist

EDIT: for anyone who might have this issue, once I opened Hackintool, I was able to see my ROM number.

Last edited:
Hello @mrnobdy9,

Welcome to the forum!

If you are currently using Clover and the Clover config.plist does not have a ROM value, that is perfectly okay. Clover will use the MAC ID from an Ethernet port such as en0 or en1. In this case we can simple generate a new ROM value in OpenCore using OpenCore Configurator by clicking this button:
View attachment 536130
You will not need to re-license software.

Thanks Casey. I sure hope that I would not need to re-license. that's the reason I avoided updating all this time. I'll give it a try and report back!

EDIT: @CaseySJ sorry Casey, I guess I am bit confused (it's been a while since last diving into this). I should follow this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2183794 to convert from Clover to OpenCore, Correct?

Last edited:
Hello, everybody!

First, thanks to CaseySJ for this build! It has been my main machine for two years now.

But my luck has run out. That story is here.

I have been messing with my machine for the better part of two days now. I got it back up & running by booting from my original thumb drive. I figure I hosed my EFI partition somehow. I can boot from the Clover install on the thumb drive, but none of my other drives.

Any recommendations on what to do now? For example, just re-do the post-install procedure from Page#1, or try and move to OpenCore?

I did successfully update the BIOS to F9g, and I got OpenCore 0.7.5 to work, but when I selected a drive, it went directly to the prohibited sign. I just followed the guide here.

I tried again, and saw that I forgot to set the machine to iMac19,1 in the config tool. That didn't help. It seemed obvious that I was not doing something vital.

So I followed this Mini Guide, but after deleting the kexts in /Library/Extensions, I did the test reboot, and it wouldn't boot.

Don't know where to go from here.

Hello, everybody!

First, thanks to CaseySJ for this build! It has been my main machine for two years now.

But my luck has run out. That story is here.

I have been messing with my machine for the better part of two days now. I got it back up & running by booting from my original thumb drive. I figure I hosed my EFI partition somehow. I can boot from the Clover install on the thumb drive, but none of my other drives.

Any recommendations on what to do now? For example, just re-do the post-install procedure from Page#1, or try and move to OpenCore?

I did successfully update the BIOS to F9g, and I got OpenCore 0.7.5 to work, but when I selected a drive, it went directly to the prohibited sign. I just followed the guide here.

I tried again, and saw that I forgot to set the machine to iMac19,1 in the config tool. That didn't help. It seemed obvious that I was not doing something vital.

So I followed this Mini Guide, but after deleting the kexts in /Library/Extensions, I did the test reboot, and it wouldn't boot.

Don't know where to go from here.
Are you able to access the OpenCore EFI folder? If so, please compress and post.

At the OpenCore boot picker we can press and release CMD-V to enable Verbose logs before booting macOS. The logs can often provide a clue.

Also double check all BIOS parameters, including Boot —> CFG-Lock (this one needs to be disabled).

Also confirm that all PlatformInfo credentials (serial number, board serial number, system UUID, etc.) have been entered properly in “PlatformInfo —> DataHub”.

SecureBootModel should be “disabled”. This is in Misc —> Security section of config.plist.

In other words, every single step should be double checked.

Yes, that’s the right one.
So once I opened Hackintool, I was able to see my ROM number. I then continued to follow your guide, copied all the relevant info into my plist using Open Configurator, and now successfully replaced Clover with OpenCore 0.7.5. I used it for a bit and everything seems to work fine!

what would be my next step to update to Monterey? do I just download and install Monterey on top of Catalina?

Last edited:
Some questions and comments:
  • Are you converting from Clover to OpenCore in order to upgrade Catalina to Big Sur? To Monterey straight, if possible?
  • If so, your OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI is leading to boot failure in Catalina? Yes
  • Have you seen this Clover to OpenCore transition guide? Yes
  • In OpenCore Configurator, is SecureBootModel set to Disabled as shown: Done

Yep, I did all these things. Still getting stop-sign instantly when trying to boot.

Back