Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Good to know info here. Thanks

@shdwkeeper

It sounds like you are looking for somebody who has done the Win10 to Win11 upgrade on the Designare to respond.

I have done it successfully and it doesn't require special instructions. I suggest you should be using OC 0.7.5. I have macOS, both Monterey and Big Sur, on one internal SSD, and I had Windows 10 on another internal SSD. I did not remove the macOS SSD to update Windows. If you want to be super-safe you might want to.

Running Win10 "Update Windows" I was notified Win11 was available and my Designare was compatible (with the appropriate BIOS settings.) One can run the update right there if one wants to. I actually created a WIn11 installer because I had other computers to update. I started Win10 and ran the Wind11 installer from within Win10. I just let it run and eventually Win11 was installed and running with all my prior apps still there. Win11 is still available as a startup option in the OC Picker.

MacOS and Win11 are now running fine on my Designare on separate SSDs.

It worked fine for me. I will not guarantee that it will work fine for you -- but it should. Make sure you have all the appropriate backups for disaster recovery!
Thank you. I'm on 10.14.5 macOS right now. So I'm trying to upgrade that first. Any tips? I'm going through all micro guides at moment since I have been running this for a few years, and I have to remember how to do everything again.

Thank you. I'm on 10.14.5 macOS right now. So I'm trying to upgrade that first. Any tips? I'm going through all micro guides at moment since I have been running this for a few yrs and I have to remember how to do everything again.
After performing the step highlighted below (Replace Clover with OpenCore), it should be possible to perform an in-place upgrade to the latest version of macOS (Monterey). As you follow that procedure, just replace all references to OpenCore 0.7.4 with 0.7.5. You'll find a link to OpenCore 0.7.5 mini-guide in the same spoiler.

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 4.48.33 PM.png

After performing the step highlighted below (Replace Clover with OpenCore), it should be possible to perform an in-place upgrade to the latest version of macOS (Monterey). As you follow that procedure, just replace all references to OpenCore 0.7.4 with 0.7.5. You'll find a link to OpenCore 0.7.5 mini-guide in the same spoiler.

View attachment 535600
I'm running Opencore 0.6.3 already on Mojave, does that matter?

Hello !!
If the "OWC Hub Thunderbolt 4 - Hub 4 ports Thunderbolt 4" works well with the gc titan ridge 2.0 (not flashed) on the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming it is, on the other hand, not recognized by the onboard TB3 of the Z390 Designare ( not flashed too). (OC 0.7.5 on both). (The Designare recognizes LG 5K Ultrafine or Samsung TB3 X5...)
An idea ?
No one has experience with this problem ? :)

I'm running Opencore 0.6.3 already on Mojave, does that matter?
OpenCore 0.6.3 does not support Monterey. It’s best to use 0.7.5.

Hi,
I have problem with screen saver if I select source from folder with my pictures.
It is not working after updates to Monterey
Any one face same similar issue

No one has experience with this problem ? :)
Interesting. Both are Titan Ridge, but the GC-Titan Ridge v2.0 has a newer version of firmware than Designare Z390. One experiment to try (very very carefully) would be to flash the GC-Titan Ridge v2.0 firmware into the Designare Z390.

Interesting. Both are Titan Ridge, but the GC-Titan Ridge v2.0 has a newer version of firmware than Designare Z390. One experiment to try (very very carefully) would be to flash the GC-Titan Ridge v2.0 firmware into the Designare Z390.
Thank you for the answer Casey, but I am too shy to try this experience, already that I have not flashed the Designare despite your tutorials (you and Elias64fr) very well done...:confused:

Have you enabled the Aquantia kernel patch in OpenCore 0.7.5? This is why we did not use HackinDROM this time, so that everyone get reacquainted with the OpenCore configuration.
View attachment 534388
@CaseySJ Oooooohh. Hmmmm that old chestnut lol. Sorry Casey. Yes you were right, when I was going through all of my settings one by one that was missed. All good now :)

Thank you for the answer Casey, but I am too shy to try this experience, already that I have not flashed the Designare despite your tutorials (you and Elias64fr) very well done...:confused:
Good decision! Flashing the firmware is risky. It is possible to install GC-Titan Ridge into Z390 Designare even though there is already a Titan Ridge controller on the motherboard. But it just depends on how important it is to connect the Thunderbolt 4 Hub to Designare.

Back