Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

To another question and request for advice.

I'm currently on Clover 5122 and macOS 10.15.7. I've recently bought a Radeon 6900 XT, which is one of the reasons I now want to upgrade to macOS Monterey.

What is the best course of action to go about doing this?

I'm extremely happy with my current system. It's setup exactly the way I want it and it's very stable. I also have dual boot with Windows setup on a separate SSD which is working great. I want to make this transition as painless as possible, so how do I do it best?

• Should I transition from Clover to OpenCore? Or is it now possible to upgrade Clover on this system?
  • Can I upgrade to Monterey on top of my current install or is it definitely better to do a clean install? (and then use TimeMachine restore)
  • Depending on what you guys suggest, are there any links to guides/info that I need that you could direct me to?
  • Anything else I should think about regarding the Radeon 6900XT? My plan is to keep my current Vega 64 inside the computer while doing all the updating and then swap the card when all that is done. Does that sound like a good plan?
Thanks a bunch guys/gals!!
I asked CaseySJ this same sort of question not to long ago. I was in a similar predicament. He had me follow the migration to OpenCore and then went through these steps:

First I had to upgrade the BIOS and just modify these steps https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2284374

Then I went through these steps:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2284427

It has been extremely helpful and I am running Monterey fine. OpenCore appears to be much easier to maintain than Clover. I don't regret it.

Last edited:
Just a note for the Samsung SSD list:

SAMSUNG 950 PRO - NVRAM Picker broken
For the longest time I have been unable to get NVRAM to pick the right boot drive. I had the Samsung 950 PRO which functioned fine for the last two years but now that Samsung made the naughty list with TRIM I decided to finally upgrade to the WD SN750.

I made matching APFS containers as the previous drive, used Carbon Copy Cloner, and copy/pasted the EFI folder but found that the drive wasn't bootable for some reason. I made a new USB Installer to make sure the 6900xt had recovery support and dirty installed (no data wipe) Big Sur onto the new drive.

Presto, everything works, no data loss, and NVRAM finally works the way it is supposed too! :clap:

Also the WD SN750 is about 6x faster.

Hi all and @CaseySJ

After 8 months of neglecting OpenCore updates, I finally updated my system. This time using macOS Monterey on 970 Evo Plus SSD instead of macOS Big Sur on 970 Evo.

I did a clean install, I had OC 0.6.7 version and I followed each and every guide, used HackinDROM Copy Config option on the website (without the app) to copy configs to each successor version, though I think directly choosing the newest version would work but I wanted to do consecutive updates to the config (using OC 0.7.5 now). Used a USB stick to test out if OC boots Big Sur and then used the new SSD to test if Monterey will work and if there will be any issue with 970 Evo Plus SSD, due to the TRIM issue. Also reinstalled the latest Win10 to a new 970 Evo Plus SSD, so I have a dual-boot system (like before).

Overall, everything went really smooth. Monterey on 970 Evo Plus boots 20 seconds FASTER (~10s in total from OC Picker to macOS login screen) than Big Sur on 970 Evo. At least that's a relief for now, and the fact that almost everything works.

I just have one problem; Bluetooth works until the computer sleeps, then bluetooth stops working. System Preferences -> Bluetooth page is not responding or showing an empty device list or altogether an empty page. About Mac -> System Report -> Bluetooth shows the correct (i think?) information, and information for devices as well.

I know the problem is related to macOS Monterey and OpenCore 0.7.6 is around the corner, although I don't know if there will be any change for bluetooth in that update. Do you have any idea what should I try to make it work?

Again, many thanks for still answering to each and every post in the thread and trying newer boards as well. Respect!

Just to add a note: I have the XFX MERC 315 6900XT and it works flawlessly out of the box on 11.6.1 ... I've had an occasional red flash on window resizing but that's by far not a dealbreaker.
Thanks.

I’ve read other posts of people using the 6900 XT without any problem. I tried everything I could imagined but I can't use it. It lags and freezes my system. I suspect my graphics card came defective. Tomorrow I will try to return it.

Overall, everything went really smooth. Monterey on 970 Evo Plus boots 20 seconds FASTER (~10s in total from OC Picker to macOS login screen) than Big Sur on 970 Evo. At least that's a relief for now, and the fact that almost everything works.
Glad to hear it!

I just have one problem; Bluetooth works until the computer sleeps, then bluetooth stops working. System Preferences -> Bluetooth page is not responding or showing an empty device list or altogether an empty page. About Mac -> System Report -> Bluetooth shows the correct (i think?) information, and information for devices as well.
Regarding Bluetooth:
  • Are you using a Fenvi FV-T919 or similar Broadcom-based module?
  • Are you instead using on-board Intel WiFi/BT?
  • In config.plist --> Kernel section, is BlueToolFixup enabled and configured correctly? If unsure, simply post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel.
If you're on OpenCore 0.7.5 at this time, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator title bar says "OpenCore 0.7.5 Release Configuration".

Thanks for this @YossarianKen44 !

I asked CaseySJ this same sort of question not to long ago. I was in a similar predicament. He had me follow the migration to OpenCore and then went through these steps:

First I had to upgrade the BIOS and just modify these steps https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2284374

Then I went through these steps:

It has been extremely helpful and I am running Monterey fine. OpenCore appears to be much easier to maintain than Clover. I don't regret it.

Hi guys,

Just upgraded to an overpriced Sapphire Nitro+ Rx 6900xt on my build, wondering if anyone out there can see gpu temps and processor use in istat menus (worked great on my old RX 580).

It does work when plugged into the F_USB, but not in BIOS or during boot.

I’m trying to plug it into a PCIe USB 2.0 card to the internal USB type A port it has. When I do that, Bluetooth works in BIOS / at boot, but fails to be enabled when I get to the desktop after booting.

It seems I need to set the respective port on the PCIe card to 255 with USBMap.kext

Does this sound like it should work? I’m messing around right now with a USB mapping script to create the kext.
Updates.

So I’ve been in a situation recently where a wired connection just isn’t possible at all. So, I’ve been forced to mess around to make this MQUPIN Fenvi T919 wifi/bt card work. Getting any other cards seems to be impossible in Canada right now.

In addition to plugging in the BT header to the F_USB on the motherboard, I ended up having to do the following combination of things to get it working fully and reliably.

1) I put the card in the 2nd PCIE long slot (between the 2 nvme slots) in order to get the Bluetooth working in bios and boot and after boot. No other slots would do this for me.

2) To get my wifi working without stalling and becoming unusable after booting, I added the latest AirportBrcmFixup kext and then removed the plugin, AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext inside the package (you can disable it instead) and added the country code and used brcmfx-driver=2 in my boot arguments (not sure if these were needed or not but I added them anyway).

To be safe, I also cleared NVRAM after moving the card and adding the modified kext and boot arguments for opencore.

Handoff, Airdrop, Sidecar, wifi and bt all work fine now for me.

Deal All,
I have facing with a problem on Bluetooth. I have tried to connect my Airpods 3 to my Hack (Monterey 12.1 Beta with Fenvi T919 wifi&bluetooth) when Airpods 3 connects, other devices (Apple keyboard and mouse) disconnects, after two cycles of connecting and disconnecting Airpods 3 looses the competition. Airpods 3 disconnects from Hack.

Other than that I have not faced any bluetooth problems.

By the way Shift+Option Bluetooth icon does not brings the usual bluetooth screen with debug submenu instead it brings Option Bluetooth menu.

Is there any one facing same kind of problems ? Do you suggest any thing to solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance

Deal All,
I have facing with a problem on Bluetooth. I have tried to connect my Airpods 3 to my Hack (Monterey 12.1 Beta with Fenvi T919 wifi&bluetooth) when Airpods 3 connects, other devices (Apple keyboard and mouse) disconnects, after two cycles of connecting and disconnecting Airpods 3 looses the competition. Airpods 3 disconnects from Hack.

Other than that I have not faced any bluetooth problems.

By the way Shift+Option Bluetooth icon does not brings the usual bluetooth screen with debug submenu instead it brings Option Bluetooth menu.

Is there any one facing same kind of problems ? Do you suggest any thing to solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance
Some questions and comments:
  • Are you using OpenCore 0.7.5?
  • Is BlueToolFixup.kext enabled in config.plist?
  • Probably best to post screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel page. Just widen and heighten the window as needed so all columns and rows are visible.
  • Is Windows or Linux also installed on the same system?

Back