Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @ummario,

Apologies for the late reply. Alder Lake is consuming all my attention at the moment.

Anyway, some things to check from hardware point of view first:
  • What is the power rating on your PSU?
  • How many PCIe cards are installed?
  • Have you considered connecting power cable to 2x2 PEG power adapter near the SATA ports? This will provide more power to PCIe slots.
The other issue is this:
View attachment 534874

Hi @CaseySJ, you don't need to apologize. It's me who should do it.

The 'God of the Hackintoshers' needs all your time in the Alder Lake Thread :)

My PSU is a Phanteks Revolt X 1200W 80+ Platinum. So more then enough power to the Graphics card. The RX 6900 has 3 power connectors, and I connected 3 independent cables to the PSU.

I must confess that my Phanteks Evolv X Case (same as your's right?), after the PSU installed on place, has a very difficult access to the power connectors in the back. So definitively I will check that propperlly. Maybe one of the cables is not propperlly fitted. I must check that.

I only have 2 cards installed: the graphics card on first slot (where was before my vega 64) and the Fenvi card on second slot. I tried to remove the Fenvi card from second slot, because I remeber I had a few problems with fenvi card in one of the slots in the past (don't remember anymore which slot it was at that time) Also tried to move graphics card to slot 2, both tries did not solve the problem.

Thanks for the tip about the PEG adapter. I will try that option.

Meanwhile I have another problem :crazy::

Yesterday night I tried to chose diferente SMBIOS. After one of the boots bluetooth was not working, so disconnected power for a few seconds, after that I don't know what happened but my BIOS lost configuration. I had to configure Bios again. After that Hackintosh didn't boot. Also tried to boot with usb stick, but also that didn't worked. Is stuck on Apple logo after Opencore picker.

I must see what is happening....

Hi @CaseySJ, you don't need to apologize. It's me who should do it.

The 'God of the Hackintoshers' needs all your time in the Alder Lake Thread :)

My PSU is a Phanteks Revolt X 1200W 80+ Platinum. So more then enough power to the Graphics card. The RX 6900 has 3 power connectors, and I connected 3 independent cables to the PSU.

I must confess that my Phanteks Evolv X Case (same as your's right?), after the PSU installed on place, has a very difficult access to the power connectors in the back. So definitively I will check that propperlly. Maybe one of the cables is not propperlly fitted. I must check that.

I only have 2 cards installed: the graphics card on first slot (where was before my vega 64) and the Fenvi card on second slot. I tried to remove the Fenvi card from second slot, because I remeber I had a few problems with fenvi card in one of the slots in the past (don't remember anymore which slot it was at that time) Also tried to move graphics card to slot 2, both tries did not solve the problem.

Thanks for the tip about the PEG adapter. I will try that option.

Meanwhile I have another problem :crazy::

Yesterday night I tried to chose diferente SMBIOS. After one of the boots bluetooth was not working, so disconnected power for a few seconds, after that I don't know what happened but my BIOS lost configuration. I had to configure Bios again. After that Hackintosh didn't boot. Also tried to boot with usb stick, but also that didn't worked. Is stuck on Apple logo after Opencore picker.

I must see what is happening....
Please try CMOS Reset. We should also disable one of the two SSDT-UIAC... checkboxes in ACPI section of config.plist.

Hi @ummario,

Apologies for the late reply. Alder Lake is consuming all my attention at the moment.

Anyway, some things to check from hardware point of view first:
  • What is the power rating on your PSU?
  • How many PCIe cards are installed?
  • Have you considered connecting power cable to 2x2 PEG power adapter near the SATA ports? This will provide more power to PCIe slots.
The other issue is this:
View attachment 534874
Hi Again @CaseySJ

I did all your suggestions, including the power cable to PEG, but the RX6900 still lags.... Do you think it may be defective? Even as said works fine on Windows. Do you maybe have any other suggestion?

Thank you!

ps - the system was not booting, because I did a mistake loading the settings in BIOS. Forgot the last step of your guide that was: "Boot → CFG-Lock → Disabled"

Hi @CaseySJ do you mind to take a look into my EFI folder? My Mackintosh is really unusable using this RX 6900 XT. I'm about to return the graphics card, but before I do it, would like to understand if everything is ok with my settings.

Is really behaving weird... apart form the freezes and lags, I can't even open some webpages on Safari. (I have to disable Java in order to open.)

Also tried a clean install yesterday on a second M.2 disk and happens the same. So I really don't understand if this is a defective card (apparently is working fine on Windows) or some settings are wrong on my EFI folder.

Thanks and sorry for this. :(
Just to add a note: I have the XFX MERC 315 6900XT and it works flawlessly out of the box on 11.6.1 ... I've had an occasional red flash on window resizing but that's by far not a dealbreaker.

Is there any way I can use the second Ethernet port on the MOBO as a serial connection (bridge?) to another device, but have it join the LAN that the computer is joining from the other Ethernet port (DHCP from my router)?

I want my laptop to be able to join my LAN without having to drag a second 10 meter cable from my living room if possible :D

Is there any way I can use the second Ethernet port on the MOBO as a serial connection (bridge?) to another device, but have it join the LAN that the computer is joining from the other Ethernet port (DHCP from my router)?

I want my laptop to be able to join my LAN without having to drag a second 10 meter cable from my living room if possible :D
Although I've not tried it myself, it might be possible to do this by:

System Preferences --> Network --> Manage Virtual Interfaces --> Bridge the two Ethernet ports
System Preferences --> Sharing --> Internet Sharing

But I have to ask: Why not use WiFi on your laptop? If your laptop does not have WiFi, this can help:

Although I've not tried it myself, it might be possible to do this by:

System Preferences --> Network --> Manage Virtual Interfaces --> Bridge the two Ethernet ports
System Preferences --> Sharing --> Internet Sharing

But I have to ask: Why not use WiFi on your laptop? If your laptop does not have WiFi, this can help:

Found this on another forum too which should be taken into account:

If you're not running the Mac Pro as a server, letting your Mac Pro sleep or turn off will interrupt your connection. Or if you use boot camp, you'll suddenly have no connection. Also, not being able to figure out how to set this up is a problem.

Maybe I'll get another 10m cable after all :)

To another question and request for advice.

I'm currently on Clover 5122 and macOS 10.15.7. I've recently bought a Radeon 6900 XT, which is one of the reasons I now want to upgrade to macOS Monterey.

What is the best course of action to go about doing this?

I'm extremely happy with my current system. It's setup exactly the way I want it and it's very stable. I also have dual boot with Windows setup on a separate SSD which is working great. I want to make this transition as painless as possible, so how do I do it best?

• Should I transition from Clover to OpenCore? Or is it now possible to upgrade Clover on this system?
  • Can I upgrade to Monterey on top of my current install or is it definitely better to do a clean install? (and then use TimeMachine restore)
  • Depending on what you guys suggest, are there any links to guides/info that I need that you could direct me to?
  • Anything else I should think about regarding the Radeon 6900XT? My plan is to keep my current Vega 64 inside the computer while doing all the updating and then swap the card when all that is done. Does that sound like a good plan?
Thanks a bunch guys/gals!!

To another question and request for advice.

I'm currently on Clover 5122 and macOS 10.15.7. I've recently bought a Radeon 6900 XT, which is one of the reasons I now want to upgrade to macOS Monterey.

What is the best course of action to go about doing this?

I'm extremely happy with my current system. It's setup exactly the way I want it and it's very stable. I also have dual boot with Windows setup on a separate SSD which is working great. I want to make this transition as painless as possible, so how do I do it best?

• .../... Or is it now possible to upgrade Clover on this system
If you want to continue using Clover (which is still a good choice from my point of view - I use OpenCore 0.7.5 or Clover 5142 indefinitely) you will have to update it in its 5142 version (with update day of UEFI drivers - OpenRuntime.efi in particular) and kexts as usual ...
It will also be necessary to modify the config.plist, using Plist Editor for example, by adding a Quirk in the "Quirks" section:
Key: ResizeAppleGpuBars, Type: Number, Value: -1
and,
to install or update Monterey, using Clover configurator (imperatively 5.19.0.0) :
in the SMBIOS section: check Update Firmware Only (to keep the serial numbers, Board Serial Number, SmUUID, etc.)
In the drop-down menu located next to this box, choose your SMBIOS, in this way two new items will be entered: Extended Firmware Features and Extended Firmware Features Mask.

If you use an SMBIOS corresponding to a Mac equipped with the T2 chip, you will also need to enter a new item entitled HWTarget in the Rt Variables section.

The HWTarget corresponding to the SMBIOS “T2” used is found in this table: (do not use parentheses)

MacBookPro 15.1 (J680AP) 15.2 (J132AP) 15.3 (J780AP) & 15.4 (J213AP)
MacBookPro16.1 (J152FAP) 16.3 (J223AP) & 16.4 (J215AP) MacBookPro16.2 (J214KAP)
MacBookAir8,1 (J140KAP) & 8,2 (J140AAP)
MacBookAir9,1 (J230KAP)
Macmini8,1 (J174AP)
iMac20.1 (J185AP) & 20.2 (J185FAP)
iMacPro1,1 (J137AP)
MacPro7,1 (J160AP)

EDIT : I forgot to say that Clover remains the best bootloader for Dual Boot (with Windows and macOs)

Attached is an example of config.plist for iMacPro1,1

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Back