Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ
I am suffering from the Samsung 970 EVO (1 Tb) problem in Monterey. I bought a WD recommended SN 750 I TB to replace it.
I have searched and can't seem to find the proper method to clone the Samsung to the WD. I cloned using CCC - Samsung to WD. I then placed the EFI (OC .75) in the WD EFI partition. The WD is seen as uefi in the BIOS but it doesn't show up in the OC picker. However the old Samsung boot disc which I placed in a Sabrent Thunderbolt enclosure boots fine.
I also am not sure the Sabrent is connecting properly to Thunderbolt as I have previously only used the Thunderbolt ports for USB.

I have , again, probably done something stupid.

How should I proceed?

Thanks
I had the same problem. I use superduper to clone my drive and everything it's ok now.

Hi @CaseySJ
I am suffering from the Samsung 970 EVO (1 Tb) problem in Monterey. I bought a WD recommended SN 750 I TB to replace it.
I have searched and can't seem to find the proper method to clone the Samsung to the WD. I cloned using CCC - Samsung to WD. I then placed the EFI (OC .75) in the WD EFI partition. The WD is seen as uefi in the BIOS but it doesn't show up in the OC picker. However the old Samsung boot disc which I placed in a Sabrent Thunderbolt enclosure boots fine.

@rondark

When you made the CCC clone to the WD did you make sure CCC also cloned all the System files? By default CCC only clones everything except System. Maybe that's why OC Picker doesn't show the WD as a bootable drive.

@rondark

When you made the CCC clone to the WD did you make sure CCC also cloned all the System files? By default CCC only clones everything except System. Maybe that's why OC Picker doesn't show the WD as a bootable drive.
Is it a setting in CCC?

Hi @CaseySJ
I also am not sure the Sabrent is connecting properly to Thunderbolt as I have previously only used the Thunderbolt ports for USB.

I have , again, probably done something stupid.

How should I proceed?

Thanks

@rondark

CaseySJ recently described how to make a bootable back up of the newer macOS's

@rondark

@CaseySJ

Fixed the boot issue. Thanks for that.
Another issue...with Thunderbolt. I purchased a Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to NVME dual enclosure. I placed my old Samsung boot disc in this and another Samsung NVME that I had in a USB3.1 enclosure which was plugged into one of the Thunderbolt ports and worked fine.
So...Sabrent plugged in to Thunderbolt port where USB 3.1 enclosure had been.LogitechStreamCam(USB 3.1) plugged into other TB port.
The old boot disk in the Sabrent shows and, in fact, booted. The camera works. However the second drive in the Sabrent doesn't show. In Hackintool the second XHC3 port shows unknown.
I have not used a Thunderbolt device before on this computer so I'm stumped.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Fixed the boot issue. Thanks for that.
Another issue...with Thunderbolt. I purchased a Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to NVME dual enclosure. I placed my old Samsung boot disc in this and another Samsung NVME that I had in a USB3.1 enclosure which was plugged into one of the Thunderbolt ports and worked fine.
So...Sabrent plugged in to Thunderbolt port where USB 3.1 enclosure had been.LogitechStreamCam(USB 3.1) plugged into other TB port.
The old boot disk in the Sabrent shows and, in fact, booted. The camera works. However the second drive in the Sabrent doesn't show. In Hackintool the second XHC3 port shows unknown.
I have not used a Thunderbolt device before on this computer so I'm stumped.
Couple comments/questions:
  • Please post a link to the Sabrent dual NVMe Thunderbolt 3 enclosure.
  • If Windows is also installed on this system, do both Samsung drives appear in Windows?

Hi, @CaseySJ! I've reverted back to OC 0.7.4 as I could not get either of the Ethernet ports on my Z390 Aorus Xtreme to work under OC 0.7.5, although both have worked with all previous releases of OC. My main port is the Aquantia 10Gb port. I think ill wait for the next OC release to see if there has been a fix.

Back